Opinion Appreciate the tagger

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Simon Goodwin and Damien Hardwick can shove their sooking up their ass as far as I'm concerned.

Port Adelaide did a great job nullifying Gawn and I don't think he deserved s**t. He needed protection from his teammates not from the umpires.

Damien Hardwicks bitching after De Boer put Martin in his pocket was equally as rubbish. I could give a **** how Martin plays, congratulations to De Boer who went a long way to giving his side the win.

Champion players are champions because they cop the attention, give it back two fold and still star. I don't want to watch a game where the good players play well every single week because the umpires don't let anyone near them.

It's a tactic more coaches should use, stop complaing and be proactive coaches.
Taggers are a blight on the game and should not be allowed to touch a player if the ball is not in the immediate area.If the Op had his way ,we would see more ball players getting suspended and talentless hacks multiplying until the game resmbles mma.Stupid thread imo.

Taggers are a blight on the game and should not be allowed to touch a player if the ball is not in the immediate area.If the Op had his way ,we would see more ball players getting suspended and talentless hacks multiplying until the game resmbles mma.Stupid thread imo.
Wow. This is seriously dumb.

Okay stop and think for a second before you post.

Do you honestly think tagging is a new tactic and no one thought to try it with Dusty over 2016, 17 or 18? Coaches just scratched their heads every week and didn't think to give him some attention until 2019?

He's handled a tag countless times, he's just struggling and severely out of form at the moment, and the tag just exacerbates it.
Heard on SEN this week that according to Champion Data, Martin has been tagged in something like 15 of the last 51 games. Champion Data's description of tagging was having the same opponent for 40 minutes in a game

Please explain? You like taggers do you?
FMD they are just defensive midfielders. You know like people that play defensively in the back half of the ground. People that get their knickers twisted over them are clueless.
Taggers are a blight on the game and should not be allowed to touch a player if the ball is not in the immediate area.
I mean how stupid is this, do you think we should make it that any player in defence like Rance isn't allowed to touch their opponent unless the ball is within 5m or something?

FMD they are just defensive midfielders. You know like people that play defensively in the back half of the ground. People that get their knickers twisted over them are clueless.

I mean how stupid is this, do you think we should make it that any player in defence like Rance isn't allowed to touch their opponent unless the ball is within 5m or something?
Why do you need to touch someone behind the play? And why did you name yourself after the Spiderbait drummer?

Why do you need to touch someone behind the play? And why did you name yourself after the Spiderbait drummer?
Pretty much every player on the field does this at times, do you want to ban it and make the game like netball or something? You are making a complete fool of yourself.

Pretty much every player on the field does this at times, do you want to ban it and make the game like netball or something? You are making a complete fool of yourself.
Mate, do you think it's good for game that players like Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield are constantly pushed from behind and grappled behind the ball until they lose it and get suspended.Maybe taggers could try and touch the ball now and then or go in hard for the ball.Any weak campaigner can try and get into someone's head and try to provoke.Provoking is not part of the game.All the best taggers just become losers when they finish their careers because no one has respect for them.

I'm alright with tagging as long as they are having a crack at the footy too. Ling, Cornes used to be masters at it.

But there are a lot of s**t one's that don't even look at the footy. That's where the game suffers.
(Not at all saying this is De Boer, I like the way he generally goes about his footy)

Heard on SEN this week that according to Champion Data, Martin has been tagged in something like 15 of the last 51 games. Champion Data's description of tagging was having the same opponent for 40 minutes in a game
I would think the eye test is a better indication rather than using a set time period. Some players are tagged hard at stoppages and then opponents change based on whether they are back, middle or forward. Some teams rotate taggers, and I'm not even sure how CD would determine what exactly the "same opponent" actually means. Does it mean the opposition player closest to you?

Whether it's effective or not is a different story, but personally I don't like the look of taggers as a spectacle. Niggling, pinching, elbows, holding, etc. I prefer to see the great players play. That's just me personally whether I am watching my own team or another team.

However fully aware it can be an effective tactic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe taggers could try and touch the ball now and then or go in hard for the ball.
Pretty naive comment. De boer had 21 disposals, Martin had 15. Dusty was simply outplayed on the day, and let his frustration get the best of him.

All the best taggers just become losers when they finish their careers because no one has respect for them.
So Ling is a loser that nobody respects? 3 time premiership player and premiership captain. It takes a different kind of player to sacrifice his own game for the benefit of his team, something that earns respect by people that actuallly understand the game!

Mate, do you think it's good for game that players like Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield are constantly pushed from behind and grappled behind the ball until they lose it and get suspended.Maybe taggers could try and touch the ball now and then or go in hard for the ball.Any weak campaigner can try and get into someone's head and try to provoke.Provoking is not part of the game.All the best taggers just become losers when they finish their careers because no one has respect for them.
The Baker/Crowley style tagger doesn't really exist anymore, most of them aren't scraggers and do make an attempt to win the footy at times (as well as stop the other bloke from doing so).

Pretty naive comment. De boer had 21 disposals, Martin had 15. Dusty was simply outplayed on the day, and let his frustration get the best of him.

So Ling is a loser that nobody respects? 3 time premiership player and premiership captain. It takes a different kind of player to sacrifice his own game for the benefit of his team, something that earns respect by people that actuallly understand the game!
Ling wasn't a habitual line stepper like Crowley or Baker. It wasn't just the tagger the whole team was abusing him all day.Martin's never done that before so something went down imo

Ling wasn't a habitual line stepper like Crowley or Baker. It wasn't just the tagger the whole team was abusing him all day.Martin's never done that before so something went down imo
Backpedaling faster than a Ferrari in reverse! Martin copped nothing that other players haven’t copped before, just needs to learn how to handle it better. I thought Hardwick’s melt was funny, but you’ve certainly got him covered.

Taggers are a blight on the game and should not be allowed to touch a player if the ball is not in the immediate area.If the Op had his way ,we would see more ball players getting suspended and talentless hacks multiplying until the
The thread is popular because it’s anti Richmond.

No one has countered what I said and nothing of what I said is incorrect.

All you’ve done is say ‘defending and tagging is the same and requires skill’ which is 100 percent wrong and shows a basic lack of understanding of the game. Happy to continue embarrassing you, so feel free to keep responding :)

Bad taggers exist for sure, but bad forwards also exist.
I'm alright with tagging as long as they are having a crack at the footy too. Ling, Cornes used to be masters at it.

But there are a lot of s**t one's that don't even look at the footy. That's where the game suffers.
(Not at all saying this is De Boer, I like the way he generally goes about his footy)

But how is this any different to defenders? There are defenders that barely touch the ball, they focus purely on the forward and shut him down. How is that any different to a purely defensive tagger?

Gaffs never broke someone’s jaw so it is clearly Brayshaws fault.

Martin has always been a bit on the edge. Look at him against Greenwood in the Prelim. He was clearly getting frustrated at the treatment. Ultimately he just snapped this one time. It happens.

But how is this any different to defenders? There are defenders that barely touch the ball, they focus purely on the forward and shut him down. How is that any different to a purely defensive tagger?

I think anybody who doesn't watch the ball, whether it's defenders or midfielders are a blight on our game.

You have to know where your opponent is, absolutely. But if someone has their back to the footy for the sake of stopping their player, that's s**t and deserves to be penalised. Defenders cop this regularly as they should; midfielders don't.

Gaffs never broke someone’s jaw so it is clearly Brayshaws fault.

Martin has always been a bit on the edge. Look at him against Greenwood in the Prelim. He was clearly getting frustrated at the treatment. Ultimately he just snapped this one time. It happens.
Martin is one of the fairest players in thr league when was the last time he tried to hurt someone.Mumford is constantly slam tackling small players. Because he has tatts and his dad was a biker, people love making out he's thuggish.He's being persecuted like his father at the moment and the game is worse off for it.I see Mumford ,Kennedy and DeBoar play this week, they'll bring 10 people through the turnstiles whilst a fit Martin stays home.

You can play defensively without hugging a player for the whole game. Comparing backline defenders and midfield taggers is stupid. Imagine if defenders tried to pull the same s**t that taggers do. The forward would have a field day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back