Racing April Daily Punt: Delayed by a week due to bad weather

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would love to get the rationale on the 1 lead up run ruling too given Cliffs of Moher is the only horse to break down here on the back of more than one lead up run isn't it?
Not that they would but I dont understand why they can have 10 lead up runs OS but only 1 here. I get the harder tracks story but the whole thing stinks of kneejerk optics

I would love to get the rationale on the 1 lead up run ruling too given Cliffs of Moher is the only horse to break down here on the back of more than one lead up run isn't it?

And why only 24 allowed in Werribee? If there is 25 does the training of them compact the track down to much and they hurt der wittle weggies?

Who gets to come here? what if 20 Japanese horses want to come on top of the 24 Europeans. How do they decide which ones come?

1619588275262.png

Seriously though - what will most likely happen is that all the horses running for local connections (like Sir Dragonet last year for example) will come out here early so they don't have to go to Werribee. That should free up some of the spots. Could be a good angle as you can just pen the lot of them given that 90% of the raiders run best fresh off the boat for their existing trainers.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All the talk was Werribee and then they decide some random figure for restricting preparations that is not supported by the empirical evidence.

Is the report released? would love to see some veterinary advice in there that they must have gone looking for. The whole process seems pure saving face excercise as they were not prepared to dump or renovate the track where they all base and had poured so much into already.

Is it only horses that go to Werribee that have the 2 run restriction? If an OS horse arrived a couple of weeks earlier they can do what they want?

My interpretation would be yes.

STRADIVARIUS starts his campaign for a fourth Gold Cup at Ascot tonight in the Sagaro Stakes- he is undefeated in his 8 starts at 3200m+ on dry ground and this race is held over 3200.

The Commonwealth Cup trial sees the return of last seasons Middle Park stakes winner SUPREMACY.

There is also a 'Queen Anne' trial but none of these would actually be competitive in a Queen Anne. MARIE'S DIAMOND looks a big price for a horse who won this last year (albeit it was held in June at Newmarket). He then went on to be placed behind Circus Maximus in the Queen Anne.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
interesting article...

Are the O'briens so money obsessed that they value winning the cup rather than their horses? I find it hard to believe they would send a Derby winner over with these problems.

interesting article...

Are the O'briens so money obsessed that they value winning the cup rather than their horses? I find it hard to believe they would send a Derby winner over with these problems.

Only had to see the author to know its not worth reading.

And the answer to your question is no - if they were that obssesed they would have sent one of their good-uns over by now to walk it in.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
interesting article...

It should be noted that historic stress factors and nerve blocks are probably not as large a story there as the acceptance of involved off a displaced fracture.

Back