Racing April Daily Punt: Delayed by a week due to bad weather

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously the horse doesn't know it's name, but it is uncanny how rarely a badly named horse ends up any good.

So I don't know quite what the owners of 'Unchain my Bike' were expecting.

It sounds like something a bunch of drunk morons with no sense of humour would come up with.

Son a MC runner named similar. Go with it, names mean nothing.

Obviously the horse doesn't know it's name, but it is uncanny how rarely a badly named horse ends up any good.

It sounds like something a bunch of drunk morons with no sense of humour would come up with.
TBF it could be named after the town bike.

I believe in this. It’s similar with footy players too.

When Carlton drafted Josh Bootsma I declared him a spud. I was very right

Excellent potential discussion- good horses with slow names. I remember when I was a kid the very good miler Aunty Mary. How can you win a G1 with a name like that??!! But she did.

Favourite slow horse name was a Queenslander (naturally) called Slugs Brother Nugget. Slow of course, but funny.

Explains why my horses go no good - my brilliant witty names always voted down by the other owners.

Excellent potential discussion- good horses with slow names. I remember when I was a kid the very good miler Aunty Mary. How can you win a G1 with a name like that??!! But she did.

Favourite slow horse name was a Queenslander (naturally) called Slugs Brother Nugget. Slow of course, but funny.

It's illogical, but there is something in it. How many really good horses have had stupid or wacky names.

Conversely, how many champions have had great names? Was there any chance 'Mahogany' would be slow?!

Aunty Mary isn't 'too' bad.

View attachment 1114678

Investors handed over $200mil to this kid, including $65.5mil from one individual who still golfs with him on a weekly basis, to hedge bets placed on early markets? Hahahahahaha.
Hilariously enough he was a few years above me at Aquinas

Fair to say the 2010 First XI cricket team has developed quite the legacy over the last 4 years

It's illogical, but there is something in it. How many really good horses have had stupid or wacky names.

Conversely, how many champions have had great names? Was there any chance 'Mahogany' would be slow?!

Aunty Mary isn't 'too' bad.
I reckon the trots have it all over the thoroughbreds for great names- Shakamaker, The Mighty Quinn, Blacks a Fake...compare that to So You Think, Black Caviar, Might and Power. Maybe because their owners aren’t pretentious arseholes.

You have to go back to Better Loosen Up and Super Impose for cracking champion racehorse names.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a trend after Scillachi when horses were given the name of soccer players, because you know, maybe that would help.

AFL players too. The Freedman trained Deledio looked like he might be good for a while.

I remember a trend after Scillachi when horses were given the name of soccer players, because you know, maybe that would help.

AFL players too. The Freedman trained Deledio looked like he might be good for a while.

Minson surely the best of those

I reckon the trots have it all over the thoroughbreds for great names- Shakamaker, The Mighty Quinn, Blacks a Fake...compare that to So You Think, Black Caviar, Might and Power. Maybe because their owners aren’t pretentious arseholes.

You have to go back to Better Loosen Up and Super Impose for cracking champion racehorse names.
Bonecrusher a great name

Bonecrusher a great name
and our waverley star was a s**t name . Although it was slightly better when it was Waverley Star in NZ.
Names from history i like, Phar Lap, Crisp, Vo Rogue ( i think it was meant to be named Vo Rouge but the bloke who filled out the name form was couldn't spell) Carbine, Tauto, Gunsynd, Winx Emancipation
Names i didnt like were Better Loosen Up because it was a boring combo of mother and father, Manikato, Campaign king and Redzel

It wasn’t all great back then...Tawriffic was Tawrerible, and the less said about Magic Flute the better.... But even the Euros had better names back then.

Frankel, the GOAT...well it’s a dud really.

It wasn’t all great back then...Tawriffic was Tawrerible, and the less said about Magic Flute the better.... But even the Euros had better names back then.

Frankel, the GOAT...well it’s a dud really.

Yeah not a fan of the Coolmore trend of naming horses after famous people/knights

...and don’t get me started on Hong Kong horses. Their names are completely incongruous like Beauty Generation and Rapper Dragon. WTF does that even mean?!!?

And why do all those Japanese horses get English names?!? Deep-ah Impact...

Ok I need to go to bed.

...and don’t get me started on Hong Kong horses. Their names are completely incongruous like Beauty Generation and Rapper Dragon. WTF does that even mean?!!?

And why do all those Japanese horses get English names?!? Deep-ah Impact...

Ok I need to go to bed.

Most of the HK names probably sound a lot better in Cantonese.

When I first started the punt, there was a pacer running around in NSW called Simply Disgusting. Not sure how any noble equine can be expected to perform with such a ridiculous moniker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back