Racing April Daily Thread - Racing > Rugbaleeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Colette won easy and could have won by more, but the placegetters being 2x Maidens in Toffee Tongue and Quintessa hardly inspires me with confidence about that form.

Probabeel and Funstar clear top 2 3yo fillies up to the Mile, Funstar wasn't at her best at 2000m and Probabeel probably wasn't either but that is still the premier form for mine. Start before Shout the Bar 2nd to Asiago who has Positive Peace form (came out and won Gp2) and Asiago herself won a Gp3 last prep. Even Subpoenead form had won a BM70, shitloads better than horse that haven't won a Maiden.

Note: I backed Quick Thinker week before the Derby and jumped off. Not I've back Colette week before the Oaks and jumping off...
It was a similar story with the Derby last week though wasn't it?

You had the class runners out of a slow Rosehill Guineas, then the fitter horses on the week back-up ran the tri because they went along at a decent clip.
It's an intriguing race.

On reflection I think Probabeel's run was actually superb given how the track was playing on the day. If she stays (bred to) I am certain she will turn around the form against the winner.

I am always happy to be on the class runner in the Oaks and she is the only one here. Was on Collete on Saturday but she is more than well found coming through the second/third tier formlines.
Agree Probabeel is the only horse I could take out of the Vinery. She's got the runs on the board and is very classy.

Half the battle to the Oaks this weekend is the speed in the race IMO and how it will be run.

I've noticed in Australian racing, that when 3yos get to the classic distances the form guide goes out the window

I understand what you mean, normally our better horses (milers) fall by the wayside on the way there and we are left with some fairly ordinary stayers on the way up. A few may improve to the mile and a half and likely heavy track means there are a few anomalies here and there.

Disagree - Historically the VRC Oaks has been one of the easiest races on the planet to find the winner.
There was a period there though where you had short priced favourites falling over

2018 - Amphritite $2.90 unplaced
2017 - Aloisia $2 unplaced
2015 - Yankee Rose $1.90 unplaced

I understand what you mean, normally our better horses (milers) fall by the wayside on the way there and we are left with some fairly ordinary stayers on the way up. A few may improve to the mile and a half and likely heavy track means there are a few anomalies here and there.
To 2000m seems form is consistent enough its the leap to 2400/2500 that makes a huge difference.

Some of the winners prices of the SA and Qld Oaks recent years are eye watering

You had the class runners out of a slow Rosehill Guineas, then the fitter horses on the week back-up ran the tri because they went along at a decent clip.
It's an intriguing race.
Yes it is

Probabeel is the class horse. I am a tad surprised at its price ($4) - thought would be under $3s

There was a period there though where you had short priced favourites falling over

That period is the exception that makes the rule

To 2000m seems form is consistent enough its the leap to 2400/2500 that makes a huge difference.

Some of the winners prices of the SA and Qld Oaks recent years are eye watering

In some cases there is always those years where a no hoper but pure stayer claps on the speed over 2400m that they were not keen on doing before their grand final. Meaning the sit/sprint 2000m form completely changes dynamic.

I agree they can be very different races. Good horses win but it does change heavily. some of those good horses are only seen in a retrospective light too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little tip for those who enjoy a punt
Warwick Farm tomorrow
Race 4
No 14
Gimme Shelter
Should be 30/1 or better
All over it @35's now into 16's but been scratchings so will prob hav deductions on the 35's.

Also like Black Magnum in Race 7

It's an intriguing race.
Yeah definitely aware of that as per my note re Quick Thinker.

I'm more a believer in the best horse wins and take form on its merit rather than follow patterns of races run in. Eg Winx won 4x Cox Plates because she was the best horse in the Cox Plate, not because she used such and such as a lead up race.

But I heard the pattern with the boys has been towards the Tulloch lately, whereas if you look at the pattern for the girls it hasn't been the Adrian Knox.

English Guineas & Epsom festivals pushed back. Royal Ascot behind closed doors. This could be first year with no betting on the Queen’s hat. These are serious times

Tragedy for Russian Camelot antepost backers

Just a quick look,

last 20 years Autumn derby/oaks around 27% win rate for faves. Down on average of 39% for <2000m 3yo G1s.

12% or a third less likely. Might mean there's no clear fave. Another quick looks says this is not the case.

-35% POT.

9.5 expected winners based on SP, 8 won.

Notable recent losers

Castel, Gingernuts, Winx, Tarzino, Lucia Valentina, Jimmy Choux

3 have won at sub $1.50.

Nice card today at Murray Bridge and as you'd expect the midweek SA Meeting is that bit stronger with the bigger races programmed on the Saturdays.

Race 1 - Best of the day comes up straight away in Exalted Ambition. I think he's a stayer with a future. Ran a top race in the Hill Smith last Spring before going onto contest the Geelong Classic where he led from the wide gate at a decent speed before carving up behind Long Jack. I think he can take off mid race and will be strong enough to sustain the effort.

Race 4 - Daniyah debuts for Mcevoys. Followed Mileva through in a recent trial. The stable has an impeccable record on this track and I feel they've brought her here today to perform on this magnificent surface before looking to bigger things at the upcoming carnival.

Race 6 - Matas finds a suitable race here. It's a horse I've followed for a few runs and the further the better. Backing up from Saturday, back to this class she should be winning.

Race 7 - Really nice race. Sunrise Dancer is the one here. Had Melbourne metro form not long ago. Stokes on fire at the moment. Rock Harbour trialled nicely the other day but may need the run at this distance. Watch the market for his chances. Can't explain Justa Jillaroo being current favourite. Lay Lay Lay all day.

Race 8 - Balaabel should walk this in if anywhere near ready. I will be having a place bet on Love From Lucy. Eye catching run last start and currently $4.20 the place. I'll take some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back