APSS 2017 Player Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

This academy stuff is massive BS. How can we ever get a fair comp when this BS continues to happen. GWS is and will be the most hated club in the AFL. Concessions need to be stopped permanently there is zero need for this crap. Every other club would love this amount of free kicks. Same goes for all the other academy rubbish. AFL only cares about the money not equality.

This academy stuff is massive BS. How can we ever get a fair comp when this BS continues to happen. GWS is and will be the most hated club in the AFL. Concessions need to be stopped permanently there is zero need for this crap. Every other club would love this amount of free kicks. Same goes for all the other academy rubbish. AFL only cares about the money not equality.

Wouldn't get to worked up about where the academy players are projected to go, last year Macreadie and Allison were touted as top 5 prospects at this stage, they went 47 and 55 in the end.

Underage players in Div 2 can play more significant roles. While teams like Vic Metro and Country having more draftable players will give the draft eligible players more chances to Prove themselves. Had a quick search of the 2015 championship stats, the top 3 of McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage didn't even feature (couldn't see the last 2 rounds thou) Hard to get an accurate gauge of the talent pool this far out.

There's a few different threads about Academies so won't go to far into that side of things.

The quality of the Swans academy players compared to the Giants academy is a bit lopsided. Wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

Umm you already have Heeney and Mills, 2 bona fide superstars of the competition.

We have Hopper, who is overrated, and a bunch of other kids that have shown more hype than substance.

Come crying when an actual star emerges and not just VFL media driven hating. Its beyond boring.

Umm you already have Heeney and Mills, 2 bona fide superstars of the competition.

We have Hopper, who is overrated, and a bunch of other kids that have shown more hype than substance.

Come crying when an actual star emerges and not just VFL media driven hating. Its beyond boring.
Whitfield went out of his way to not show much substance..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

do you take into account those invited back as a 'under 19' ?

Reece Piper is back at the stingrays, this year is technically his age correct year so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

he only missed on due to his age from all reports, so hopefully he can tear it up again this year.

No mate. They are gun prospects. But like any prospect, they need to be played in the Seniors in order to develop. Your club has chosen to go the fastest route possible to a Premiership by recruiting older guys. This has resulted in elite prospects being stuck in the Reserves. It'll lead to a Premiership or two. But in the long run might hurt. Particularly if some of these guys leave for more opportunity.

Hopper is not overrated.

No mate. They are gun prospects. But like any prospect, they need to be played in the Seniors in order to develop. Your club has chosen to go the fastest route possible to a Premiership by recruiting older guys. This has resulted in elite prospects being stuck in the Reserves. It'll lead to a Premiership or two. But in the long run might hurt. Particularly if some of these guys leave for more opportunity.

Hopper is not overrated.

Its opinion but Hopper has a major deficiency with his lack of agility. He is very professional and can certainly still find the ball but his slowness finds him out.

Sam Mitchell and others have shown its more important to be quick between the ears but they have other skills to offset that. I need to see more to feel Hopper is the real deal.

Its opinion but Hopper has a major deficiency with his lack of agility. He is very professional and can certainly still find the ball but his slowness finds him out.

Sam Mitchell and others have shown its more important to be quick between the ears but they have other skills to offset that. I need to see more to feel Hopper is the real deal.
Hopper was more a beast kid than your sublime mover.
I really like him in your midfield because he compliments the silk of Shiel, Scully, Coniglio, etc.
I don't think he'll be a Mitchell type as i don't think he has the disposal cleanness for it. But he'll form part of your engine room for a long while you would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem for Hopper is how he gets into a midfield already containing Ward, Shiel, Cogs, Scully, Whitfield and Kelly? Not to mention Setterfield, Taranto and Perryman who will end up in there as well, plus Spargo next season. Hopper is limited as a forward and you wouldn't put him off half-back either. Matt Kennedy faces the same problem, except he has more tricks up forward.

The problem for Hopper is how he gets into a midfield already containing Ward, Shiel, Cogs, Scully, Whitfield and Kelly? Not to mention Setterfield, Taranto and Perryman who will end up in there as well, plus Spargo next season. Hopper is limited as a forward and you wouldn't put him off half-back either. Matt Kennedy faces the same problem, except he has more tricks up forward.

Vic clubs will come for him this offseason, wouldn't be surprised to see him cashed in at the end of the year.

Hi all,

Pre champs rankings from my view, Not great depth which has been well documented but as always, players will be found throughout the champs and towards the back end of the season!

View attachment 375940
UPDATED: 29/05/17

New rankings in OP! Gives everyone some names to be watching during the up coming national champs which i expect Vic Metro to win, My pick for the medal is Jack Higgins, I think he's about to rip these champs apart.

Feel free to comment and discuss all this below :)

New rankings in OP! Gives everyone some names to be watching during the up coming national champs which i expect Vic Metro to win, My pick for the medal is Jack Higgins, I think he's about to rip these champs apart.

Feel free to comment and discuss all this below :)

Where was Bell (the Swans academy player) in your last list? I won't pretend to know a huge amount about him outside of occasional chatter and a few comments on the board but my percieved view was he's unlikely to get picked in the draft

Travelled up the Calder to Watch the Rays play Pioneers on Sunday expecting a good game. The Pioneers were very disappointing and undisciplined. The players that I thought were impressive were Piper and D'arcy from the Rays and Darby Henderson from the Pioneers. Where are these guys at/

Travelled up the Calder to Watch the Rays play Pioneers on Sunday expecting a good game. The Pioneers were very disappointing and undisciplined. The players that I thought were impressive were Piper and D'arcy from the Rays and Darby Henderson from the Pioneers. Where are these guys at/

Recent write up for piper after last week's game.

Should definitely be worth a look!

Resized_Screenshot_20170606-112129.jpeg

Recent write up for piper after last week's game.

Should definitely be worth a look!

View attachment 378586

Was very surprised he didn't get a least a rookie shot last year. Big wrap though I am probably biased as he comes from my daughter's junior club and his father coached her in U18 girls for a while. He seems to tick a lot of boxes and I know everyone round the junior club held his character in high regard (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there) so I thought someone would give him a spot. A good overage year I hope can do the trick.

Was very surprised he didn't get a least a rookie shot last year. Big wrap though I am probably biased as he comes from my daughter's junior club and his father coached her in U18 girls for a while. He seems to tick a lot of boxes and I know everyone round the junior club held his character in high regard (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there) so I thought someone would give him a spot. A good overage year I hope can do the trick.

Completely agree with all of that!

I coached Reece for several years and he is a quality kid!

Hopefully he gets a crack at it this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back