Movie Aquaman 2018

Was ok nothing special one thing though didn't he know Mera in justice League which happened before this movie? And also was seen in Atlantis in Justice League but in this movie said he'd never been there. Confused.
the motherbox wasn't kept at atlantis think game of thrones and the tower of joy it was hidden close to it but not actually there

It was ok. Really enjoyed the first hour then for some reason it tried to become a romantic comedy for 10 minutes and I couldn’t recover after that. You could almost hear the DC people “no it needs more one liners and a love story, ITS GOT TO BE MORE MARVEL!!”

Also Nicole Kidman needs to cook the man some eggs.

Was ok nothing special one thing though didn't he know Mera in justice League which happened before this movie? And also was seen in Atlantis in Justice League but in this movie said he'd never been there. Confused.

i though JL is set in a time after this movie. Surely thats the case

It was ok. Really enjoyed the first hour then for some reason it tried to become a romantic comedy for 10 minutes and I couldn’t recover after that. You could almost hear the DC people “no it needs more one liners and a love story, ITS GOT TO BE MORE MARVEL!!”

Also Nicole Kidman needs to cook the man some eggs.

Did lol when Tom told mera the morning after finding her he was gonna cook her some eggs. Even tho it wasnt jake per se

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
It’s set one year after Justice League. Yes a bit confusing with the mother box and Aquaman/Mera scene from JL.

Loved the Once Were Warriors reference. I chuckled a bit but then felt a bit bad after remembering how brutal that original scene actually was.

It’s set one year after Justice League. Yes a bit confusing with the mother box and Aquaman/Mera scene from JL.

Loved the Once Were Warriors reference. I chuckled a bit but then felt a bit bad after remembering how brutal that original scene actually was.

Is that right that it’s set after jl?

Wan should be given a bigger role with DC, that was a really fun movie, nwas a CGI fest but was done really well.

Heard/Momoa were great and have good chemistry. Wilson was good in a role don't usually see him play, kind of felt Dafoe was wasted in this.

Didn't know Lundgren was in this, nice surprise and unless im mistaken is the only actor in DCEU and Arrowverse.

Far from a perfect film but a huge step in the right direction.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I was ready to s**t on it in a couple of stretches, but actually wound up quite enjoying it. Not as good as WW, but streets ahead of BvS and Justice League.

If you're going to do a CGI-fest, that's how you do it - throw as much weird s**t on the screen as possible and make it look awesome. Wan has a good eye for this sort of thing.

Loved having the cliched "action scene" drumming kick off during the arena fight, only for the camera to pull away and reveal the giant octopus playing them.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I think the big difference is that Warner Bros finally learnt their lesson about interfering in the making of the film

CGI was exceptional given the lower budget much better than Justice League. The de-aging effects used on Kidman and Morrison were better than Antman & Wasp.
Was probably made a little easier by being able to build on the work from Man of Steel and Justice League.

Don't get why some of the reviews have said it's a major departure from Snyder's dark realism, the Atlantis world building didn't seem very dissimilar to Synder's Krypton or the Themscryia, the only thing that's really been dark and grounded in the Snyder-verse was Gotham and it's meant to be dark and grounded, the things that should be fantastical have been. The major difference seems to be that they didn't appear to tie Wan's hands behind his back with too many stupid demands.

Over all it was a good to great solid outing as all the solo-film in the DCEU have been it's really just BvS (hacked to pieces in the editing room by the studio), Justice League (an unpolished disjointed and rushed but still entertaining cluster *) and Suicide Squad (again studio tried to remake the film after it had already been filmed)

Last edited:
I think the big difference is that Warner Bros finally learnt their lesson about interfering in the making of the film

CGI was exceptional given the lower budget much better than Justice League. The de-aging effects used on Kidman and Morrison were better than Antman & Wasp.
Was probably made a little easier by being able to build on the work from Man of Steel and Justice League.

Don't get why some of the reviews have said it's a major departure from Snyder's dark realism, the Atlantis world building didn't seem very dissimilar to Synder's Krypton or the Themscryia, the only thing that's really been dark and grounded in the Snyder-verse was Gotham and it's meant to be dark and grounded, the things that should be fantastical have been. The major difference seems to be that they didn't appear to tie Wan's hands behind his back with too many stupid demands.

Over all it was a good to great solid outing as all the solo-film in the DCEU have been it's really just BvS (hacked to pieces in the editing room by the studio), Justice League (an unpolished disjointed and rushed but still entertaining cluster ****) and Suicide Squad (again studio tried to remake the film after it had already been filmed)

Fair points, all of them!
One thing i noticed was that battle/key scenes weren't done in the rain which is a feature of DC dark and gritty films. Probably because they're under water lol.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Those numbers in China are very strong. 80% of its gross so far has been outside of the US.

I was ready to s**t on it in a couple of stretches, but actually wound up quite enjoying it. Not as good as WW, but streets ahead of BvS and Justice League.

If you're going to do a CGI-fest, that's how you do it - throw as much weird s**t on the screen as possible and make it look awesome. Wan has a good eye for this sort of thing.

Loved having the cliched "action scene" drumming kick off during the arena fight, only for the camera to pull away and reveal the giant octopus playing them.

To me, that was my highlight of the movie. Many great moments throughout, but this was absolute gold.

the second viewing, I was sitting alongside a friend. When the camera panned out, my mate nudged me with his elbow and said “there’s a ******* octopus playing the drums, this is epic!” :D

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont think they ever said it was going to be a horror film
It was discussed before filming years ago that they were going to make More of a horror film

Would had been an interesting angle but DC once again want to copy Marvel and do the safe thing.

You can even see the lovecraft novel near the lighthouse/snowball dome close up in the start of the film.

Back