List Mgmt. Archer, Brady & The Board

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's almost as if we havent won a flag in 20 years and sell 4 games a year interstate. What positives should the media put out? Largely irrelevant on and off field. We need wins, I hope that Bradys list changes will fast track some sustained success but until that happens we will cop it from all corners because we have been ordinary.

Agree with what you're saying, however the notion that we need wins is unrealistic, for at least the next 1-2 years wins aren't going to happen that often.

Need the young guys to flourish, and start to be recognised as a really good young core. They will lose more games then they win, but media will jump on as an exciting young side as they have with the likes of Sydney, GC & Freo this year.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with what you're saying, however the notion that we need wins is unrealistic, for at least the next 1-2 years wins aren't going to happen that often.

Need the young guys to flourish, and start to be recognised as a really good young core. They will lose more games then they win, but media will jump on as an exciting young side as they have with the likes of Sydney, GC & Freo this year.
We've been ordinary for 2 decades.

We sacked our coach mid year after he said we needed a rebuild, sacked our senior assistant one year in, finished 2nd last and are looking to move on some of our best players. Now I dont dispute the clubs decision to rebuild but I'm not sure how you can paint the bulk of that in a truly positive light. We've been in a tail spin for a few years, yes it takes time but it's not like we nailed things in 2020 to hose down criticisms of the side and the admin.

And I'm certainly not one to be entirely dismissive of the growing noise around what has happened this year, regardless of my personal stance on those reporting it.

And yep, a young dynamic list that is competitive and builds a winning culture will go a long way to solve this. I hope that happens in 2021

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
turning over the 11 delisted players imo wont make a hell of a lot of difference in the teams competitiveness as if they were up to it they would still be on the list, BBB and Higgins on the other hand will make a lot bigger difference, plus there will be a recall of the blokes that were not available for a lot of the games this year. not saying we are going to slay it but wouldnt be surpriced if we could string together half a dozen wins next season as opposed to 3 this season.

Apr 20, 2001
Limerick Hotel
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
She pretty much mentioned them. Group of patrons got together at a piss-up, and now three of them are considering running for the board, and throwing around accusations about how the board is or isn't working. Not hard to figure it out.

And there's the distinct possibility that the story is all bollocks. But if it's not.....

It wasn't a piss up. It was a zoom call. I have a friend who was on that call and there was no mention of them running for the board. The call was hosted by Ben Amarfilo. My friend is amazed with what Caro said and nothing that she mentioned was discussed.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It wasn't a piss up. It was a zoom call. I have a friend who was on that call and there was no mention of them running for the board. The call was hosted by Ben Amarfilo. My friend is amazed with what Caro said and nothing that she mentioned was discussed.

Your friend shouldn't be amazed with anything Caro might say.

But yep good update.

I was told these were some of the names at this 'meeting' :

Mark Dawson, Kerry Good , Albert Mantello, Bob Ansett, Andrew Carter,Francis Trainor and Greg Miller.

Is this correct sross ?

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Perhaps there was another call after that?

EDIT: Thanks for the update, though.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting that the Hub stories/rumours haven't mentioned Archer at all. Rumours of the boys getting on the p*** and Brady cracking it. Rumours of Brady putting a line through multiple players (that ended up being delisted). Not one mention of Archer, was he even in the Hub??... Either no one in this board in ITK has any lens on the details of the Archer/Brady relationship, or Caro has a personal issue with Archer.

No idea what thread it was, but there was an interesting few posts that might be related. tldr the players and some coaches going a bit too hard on the grog together during a few days they had off and Rawlings punishing the players on the track because of it, some of those players then took umbrage to the fact there was seemingly no punishment dished out to the coaches involved so they went to 'the board'. IIRC it was also implied that this played some part in 'the board' stepping in and axing coaches at the end of the season.

We've been ordinary for 2 decades.

We sacked our coach mid year after he said we needed a rebuild, sacked our senior assistant one year in, finished 2nd last and are looking to move on some of our best players. Now I dont dispute the clubs decision to rebuild but I'm not sure how you can paint the bulk of that in a truly positive light. We've been in a tail spin for a few years, yes it takes time but it's not like we nailed things in 2020 to hose down criticisms of the side and the admin.

It's not all positive, but the 'negative' stuff is mostly in relation to the fact it took us so long to take decisive action.

That said, I fee pretty safe in saying that the club has both made some missteps this year AND is still trending in the right direction.

Apr 20, 2001
Limerick Hotel
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I was told these were some of the names at this 'meeting' :

Mark Dawson, Kerry Good , Albert Mantello, Bob Ansett, Andrew Carter,Francis Trainor and Greg Miller.

Is this correct sross ?

When she told me she mentioned only Greg Miller, Francis Trainor and Tim Harrington, but she did say there were a fair few people in it. I think it was for the Northerners supporters group (or whatever our highest group is called). If there was another meeting and those you have mentioned were involved then lookout. Most of that group were pro Gold Coast.

Edit :- Just read her message about Caro from last night and it is the Shinboner group

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Others at the meeting.....
images.jpeg-20.jpg

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It’s weird but I have always felt up until season 2017 we were a well-managed football club both on and off field. We fought outside our weight division and in general were well respected in the wider footy community and public. During the early Scott years particularly I felt we were stable. Perhaps delusional but I would go to the game every week feeling confident of a win or at the very least a competitive loss.

Off field I felt confident we would be ok and that we would either turn a small profit or small loss and understood that was mainly because we sold those 3 games to Tasmania which kind of made us immune from big financial fluctuations.

We had good on field leaders in Harvey, Drew, Spitta and Spud that drove standards. Brad had his faults on game day but I believe he did right by the club as a leader off it. We competed. We weren’t in contention but really only a few teams are each year. I didn’t feel like I was a member of a small club. It was a refreshing period post the gold coast merger years.

Since 2017 I have felt the club has taken advantage of the members. Decisions have been made that made no sense either on or off field. Bad decisions. Decisions that not even me the most one eyed of supporters can look past and dismiss.

I was happy to hear that Brady was taking over and that we were making sweeping changes. I support the playing list being cut and the coaches being sacked. I hope like hell the board supports him and that he has a strategy. I hope the strategy is communicated clearly to the members. I reckon new are entitled to that. Footy has moved to a place where the media and the narrative is almost as important as what happens on field. I don’t like it but sadly that’s where we are. We need to be strong focused and clear in our message. It can be announced on our time frame but I hope we do it. Now isn’t the time for a board ructions or bickering we need to all get behind the club and the club needs to deliver the members hope and a clear plan which may not be achieved but a plan none the less. Sorry for long rant.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I bet most in the footy media couldn't even name them all.

C'mon big_e, really,
That Collingwood bloke we got for pick 107...ummmm.......Murray !
The other bloke who had the thing with the, what was it called.....the draft....that's it.
There's two.
The blonde guy, kicked a goal once.
Three
The guy married to whats-her-name.
Four.
Ummmmmmm......

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Continuing to refute this stuff only feeds the media more content. They'll get their backs up and the debate is a square off about the future. Ignore it, and it will run out of oxygen.

We're ******* s**t at the moment. As Geelong will be soon, Hawthorn aswell. Adelqaide's with us. Maybe West Coast in 2-3 years. It's cyclical. We're at our lowest point in 30 years and the players had to sit in a tepid fish tank for 3 months.

It will get better.

As much as I like Sonja, that's kinda missing the point. I suspect deliberately.

The football director's role isn't to make executive decisions, that's for the GM of football.

We've spent the last month in full #IstandwithBrady mode, and saying it's fine to trade out key players because Brady won't let us down - and it appears he may not actually have the final say. Last week we were all happy that Brady had the big balls to sack his brother, and it's inferred last night that he didn't.

And yes, Caroline has had a bee in her bonnet about Arch for some time, but if she's right, this is concerning on a number of levels. He can't be undermined like that.

The thing is, it is all “if”. By all accounts, there is one particular very tricky situation that North has to deal with at the moment. The club can’t come out and talk about it right now, for obvious reasons. I think we’re going to have to collectively cool our jets until we hear something official from the club. Caroline Wilson is just throwing out a load of “possibilities” here. Some of it may be true - but unimportant. Some of the important stuff seems to be just guesswork. The WC comments are really meaningless. She even admits that everything will change next year. Hopefully, the club will be able to diffuse the situation fairly soon. One thing is for certain, I have not heard anything negative emanating from the players... yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
turning over the 11 delisted players imo wont make a hell of a lot of difference in the teams competitiveness as if they were up to it they would still be on the list, BBB and Higgins on the other hand will make a lot bigger difference, plus there will be a recall of the blokes that were not available for a lot of the games this year. not saying we are going to slay it but wouldnt be surpriced if we could string together half a dozen wins next season as opposed to 3 this season.
so that's a no to
1602580671139.png

Back