List Mgmt. Archer, Brady & The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne president, Ben Buckley, has paid tribute to football director and Shinboner of the Century, Glenn Archer, who is stepping down from his position as a Director on the club Board.

Having served more than five years across two tenures, Archer helped initiate an overhaul of its football program, rejuvenate the playing list and was a key member of the panel that appointed senior coach, David Noble.

“We are deeply indebted to Arch for his wonderful contribution to our club, both as a champion player and servant on the board,” Buckley said.
“We understand his desire to spend more time with his family and focus more on his growing business interests, but we are equally sad to lose his expertise, knowledge and guidance in all football and business matters.

“Arch flagged his intention to step down earlier this year, so it was only a matter of time. Fortunately, we are in a great position as a club as we continue to rebuild and follow through with the strategy we have in place.

“We know Arch will remain a strong advocate and supporter of our great footy club.

“We will look to replace Arch in the coming weeks, and will also appoint a replacement for Julie Laycock who stepped down earlier this year after she served a maximum three terms.”

Archer is one of North’s favourite sons having played 311 games, which included two premierships, a Norm Smith Medal and three All-Australian selections. He was named Shinboner of the Century in 2005 and is a member of North’s Team of the Century.

Seems a little out of the blue? Just had enough or doesn't want a conflict of interest with his young bloke potentially coming thru?
having seen the way it panned out at Carlton with the Silvagnis, I dare say that was a consideration, and if so, well judged. Arch can also rightly claim to have set the course, with Brady and Noble, and now is a good time

Just saw the report at halftime of the Brisbane Adelaide game, and he is stepping down citing family reasons. Kudos to him for that. Don't care about the politics, innuendo and rumours of his time on the board. Not being around the place while his son comes to the club is the Archer selfless way.

On GM1910 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a little out of the blue? Just had enough or doesn't want a conflict of interest with his young bloke potentially coming thru?
Would be surprised if this isn't the case
Says in the article he notified them earlier in the year. I'm assuming it's not out of the blue for the rest of the board.

Just had enough apparently and it really is so he can chillax and enjoy more time with his family. Your kids aren’t kids for that long.

I haven’t seen Jackson play, so this isn’t based on much. However, reading the general commentary on him, I’m getting a sense that he could be a really good player. He seems to be steadily improving. If I was in his dad’s shoes, I’d be clearing a pathway for him too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The architecture for the rebuild is set.

Key players in place - Rawlings, Noble, Blakey.

Archer was key in all of those appointments.

It is now up to them to deliver.

Wayne Schwass would be one I would approach for the board as he's had the good in life by being part of the 96 premiership for North and the bad in life what has gone thru while still playing and after football.
But being the true Champion here is was able to overcome this and now he's at peace and happy.
A man with life skills is someone that this club needs.

Wayne Schwass would be one I would approach for the board as he's had the good in life by being part of the 96 premiership for North and the bad in life what has gone thru while still playing and after football.
But being the true Champion here is was able to overcome this and now he's at peace and happy.
A man with life skills is someone that this club needs.
Great suggestion, smart guy and shinboner thru and thru. couldn't have more admiration for the bloke. Dunno if he would have the time with his Pukaup work though

I haven’t seen Jackson play, so this isn’t based on much. However, reading the general commentary on him, I’m getting a sense that he could be a really good player. He seems to be steadily improving. If I was in his dad’s shoes, I’d be clearing a pathway for him too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with the direction of the logic, but perhaps for a different reason; Jackson is pretty line ball to get drafted at this stage, and Arch mightn't want a repeat of the Joel Crocker process, where it was more sentiment than football that got the boy a (rookie) spot. You can imagine the carry-on from some in the press if Jackson got a late spot on the list and then didn't prosper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back