14145156051_79c5896e24_b.jpg
13961836230_3fb5b0c74f_b.jpg

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The screams when they came out were as close to The Beatles as I've heard. Just insane.
But did you ever see the Beatles? Why does everyone have to relate everything to the ******* Beatles? They aren't that good. It's like when a kid gets drafted and they have to compare an unproven 18-year old to some 300 game champion just because they have nice kicks and evasion and look about the same height and weight. Do not get it.

Well balanced setlist but I was Troy Cooked after the first five songs. Was probably fifth or sixth row and it was just intense, one of those shows where you don't get to choose if you jump up and down because you get moved with the crowd. Some of those girls were just dumb though. What did they expect, to survive a pit like that? Most people seemed to use their energy right up until Brianstorm and then it was just balladry, whether the song was or not. Even R U Mine didn't have too much movement.

I reckon most of the blokes there ended up walking out with Al's vampiric hairdo such was the sweat. Great show but probably not my favourite of all time. The only real negative is something that I keep kind of thinking about and that's some disappointment like I didn't make the most of it, weirdly enough. That inadvertent light show during I Wanna Be Yours was genuinely profound that, seriously special.

But did you ever see the Beatles? Why does everyone have to relate everything to the ******* Beatles? They aren't that good. It's like when a kid gets drafted and they have to compare an unproven 18-year old to some 300 game champion just because they have nice kicks and evasion and look about the same height and weight. Do not get it.
Because the loudest, most insane screams I've ever heard was when The Beatles played Shea Stadium. I've got the full gig and when they come out it's just madness.

And I was just saying that it's the loudest I've heard apart from them. Relax.

Well balanced setlist but I was Troy Cooked after the first five songs. Was probably fifth or sixth row and it was just intense, one of those shows where you don't get to choose if you jump up and down because you get moved with the crowd. Some of those girls were just dumb though. What did they expect, to survive a pit like that? Most people seemed to use their energy right up until Brianstorm and then it was just balladry, whether the song was or not. Even R U Mine didn't have too much movement.
I was sitting right near the stage next to the tunnel where they took the people being pulled out of the pit. The security guards and St Johns ambos people were doing an amazing job. Some seemed okay, a couple had to be carried down. One tried to walk but got three steps before she went over. They did a great job all night. Full credit to them.

That inadvertent light show during I Wanna Be Yours was genuinely profound that, seriously special.
13961791597_c11f402ce6_b.jpg

14145156991_33393ee3ca_b.jpg

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Genuinely loled. Good analogy.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Genuinely loled. Good analogy.
I will never forget Robert Walls or some sycophant saying Josh Bootsma was a lot like Dustin Fletcher. Some absolute deer-in-the-headlights spud being compared to a freak of genetics who's been in the 22 for as long as Bootsma's lived just because they're tall, skinny, backmen, and have rude heads.

Like how are the Beatles anything like Arctic Monkeys? At least worship a band like Led Zeppelin and not a bunch of namby pamby punces who sang about love while marrying arseholes and ditching their mates for it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was sitting right near the stage next to the tunnel where they took the people being pulled out of the pit. The security guards and St Johns ambos people were doing an amazing job. Some seemed okay, a couple had to be carried down. One tried to walk but got three steps before she went over. They did a great job all night. Full credit to them.
Yeah I met up with a girl who said she had to be pulled out and told me later on how good they were, getting the vendors to pour them a coke while one girl working for St Johns was buying lollies out of her own pocket. Good stuff. Endearing. If you saw a blonde girl with piggytails you should've told her SA doesn't love her anymore.

Cool photos by the way.

Yeah I met up with a girl who said she had to be pulled out and told me later on how good they were, getting the vendors to pour them a coke while one girl working for St Johns was buying lollies out of her own pocket. Good stuff. Endearing. If you saw a blonde girl with piggytails you should've told her SA doesn't love her anymore.

Cool photos by the way.
They had 5 or 6 more St Johns people show up and go down during the night. May have been more people in need than I thought. I showed up maybe half an hour before Pond went on and I noticed people in the pit already standing up pushed tight against each other. It was madness. WTF are you already all standing up for? You can't stand upright in a compressed space like that for 3-4 hours PLUS lose your s**t like you do at the Monkeys. And if you can, then you'll be so tired by the end you won't be enjoying it. Sit the f*** down.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
They had 5 or 6 more St Johns people show up and go down during the night. May have been more people in need than I thought. I showed up maybe half an hour before Pond went on and I noticed people in the pit already standing up pushed tight against each other. It was madness. WTF are you already all standing up for? You can't stand upright in a compressed space like that for 3-4 hours PLUS lose your s**t like you do at the Monkeys. And if you can, then you'll be so tired by the end you won't be enjoying it. Sit the f*** down.
Ahhh yes! I had totally forgotten about that. The lass I was with kept mentioning it and when she did, I realised that was the issue. At every other show, you get there and sit down and race up when the support starts. Maybe it's the excitement of the band and the immensity of RLA. But that was a culprit alright – I mean let's not lie, everyone was cooked after Dancefloor. I felt like I'd played my first game of the season after the show my legs and back was that sore, it was just so tiring standing up from like 7pm onward.

Again, that goes back to the 16-year olds with no idea. Jesus.

Also, how many metal twats were in the crowd? That circle pit during Dancefloor was absolutely lame. Probably the most incongruous and inappropriate thing ever. * off to Soundwave.

Ahhh yes! I had totally forgotten about that. The lass I was with kept mentioning it and when she did, I realised that was the issue. At every other show, you get there and sit down and race up when the support starts. Maybe it's the excitement of the band and the immensity of RLA. But that was a culprit alright – I mean let's not lie, everyone was cooked after Dancefloor. I felt like I'd played my first game of the season after the show my legs and back was that sore, it was just so tiring standing up from like 7pm onward.

Again, that goes back to the 16-year olds with no idea. Jesus.

Also, how many metal twats were in the crowd? That circle pit during Dancefloor was absolutely lame. Probably the most incongruous and inappropriate thing ever. **** off to Soundwave.
When I was seeing Bruce, I wouldn't stand up until about 10-20 minutes before he'd come on. No support acts but he still does 3+ hour gigs. I'd get in, find my spot, and just sit down until I decided it was time to get up. I'm not standing up for no good reason.

They were packed in crazy tight last night though. Definite concert newbies.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I'm a bit puzzled as to why Arctic Monkeys are only playing the theatre (sub-2,000 capacity) at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre tonight, instead of in the main arena, after playing in (and selling out) 12,000+ seat venues on the east coast in recent days. I've got a ticket, so I can't complain, but it's unfortunate that a lot of Adelaide folks are going to miss out on seeing one of the greatest bands on the planet at the peak of their powers.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a bit puzzled as to why Arctic Monkeys are only playing the theatre (sub-2,000 capacity) at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre tonight, instead of in the main arena, after playing in (and selling out) 12,000+ seat venues on the east coast in recent days. I've got a ticket, so I can't complain, but it's unfortunate that a lot of Adelaide folks are going to miss out on seeing one of the greatest bands on the planet at the peak of their powers.

You honestly reckon they're peaking now? Maybe popularity wise, but lyrically they probably peaked after Humbug and seeing a 2009 show would have been much more diverse and dare I say it enjoyable.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
You honestly reckon they're peaking now? Maybe popularity wise, but lyrically they probably peaked after Humbug and seeing a 2009 show would have been much more diverse and dare I say it enjoyable.
And I thought you were a SIAS man... that would've been it for me aside from 2007. Reckon they've got their best album within them though and they'll probably play two Rod Laver shows next time. It's genuinely exciting to wonder how the next album'll be. They've covered a bit of territory so they're free to go any way they really want.

But I don't know why you'd complain about seeing them in a 2,000 capacity venue. They were playing that like five years ago in Melbs.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
We're they any good live though when they came in 06 or 07? Footage seems to suggest cemented in goal posts performing. Drumming always charismatic though

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
And I thought you were a SIAS man... that would've been it for me aside from 2007. Reckon they've got their best album within them though and they'll probably play two Rod Laver shows next time. It's genuinely exciting to wonder how the next album'll be. They've covered a bit of territory so they're free to go any way they really want.

But I don't know why you'd complain about seeing them in a 2,000 capacity venue. They were playing that like five years ago in Melbs.

Oh I still love SIAS, my favourite will always be FWN (not a bad song on it) but yeah SIAS is pretty damn good. I just think the lyrics on Humbug were the most obtuse and interesting they've ever been, more of a challenge to decipher

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh I still love SIAS, my favourite will always be FWN (not a bad song on it) but yeah SIAS is pretty damn good. I just think the lyrics on Humbug were the most obtuse and interesting they've ever been, more of a challenge to decipher
Probably his most poetic. The thing that got me last night was how kind of middling some of the AM lyrics are. I just think the metaphors are too shallow. SIAS had the most intriguing for me, the way he alluded and described things was the kind of writing I've always liked... "Now it's getting dark and the sky looks sticky / more like black treacle than tar" is just so narrow and absolute, going to that effort to accurately portray something the way he saw it is something I've grown to like a lot more.

FWN are a lot more removed and more about the perception of details than the curiosity, romance and humour, of events and people. In fact FWN is really underrated lyrically. Something pretty sinister about it – I mean even the optimistic songs have something dark about them. And it was probably the first time he didn't write about love in a critical way but well before he started writing genuine love songs (I mean is 505 really about the adoration? Or the longing and bite? I'd argue the latter).

Someone needs to write a 33⅓ about one of those records...

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Played the main arena a few years ago and it was half empty so i guess the promoter didn't want to take a chance that would happen again.

Thing is they are more popular now than 2-3 years ago.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Played the main arena a few years ago and it was half empty so i guess the promoter didn't want to take a chance that would happen again.

Umm, no. Last time they were here (2012), they definitely played the theatre at the AEC, and it was full (I was there), just like this time.

Thing is they are more popular now than 2-3 years ago.

That's the thing, they could have easily drawn enough for the arena. I know plenty of people who were keen to go, but missed out, simply because there wasn't enough tickets because of the small room.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Cannot wait for Tuesday! What time did the Monkeys come on stage? Might be a bit late...

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sorry my mistake i was given the information from someone that is why they didn't play the arena this time.

I missed them that time and regret it now.

All good!

I just think they've expanded their popularity enough since then to easily do the Arena at the AEC. I mean, they filled Thebby Theatre back in 2006 on their first time here, and that's probably bigger than the AEC Theatre.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Cracking show last night. Amazing how much Alex embraces the stage now than when I saw them a few years ago. Matt Helders is an absolute animal on the drums.

Back