Arctic Monkeys

Remove this Banner Ad

Arcadion said:
Don't see what the big deal is...? Although I've only heard that dancefloor song which is alright. Nothing brilliant :confused:

They sold out a concert at Brixton Academy in 15 mins last nite.......kid you not. Tickets went on sale at 6:00pm London time and were gone by 6:15pm with a max of 4 tickets for an internet sale.....these guys are good

Carlos said:
I think you may be into something there dude. For a start, my music collection consists of a little bit more than just the 5 or so albums that Oasis have released.

You're a classic.

FWIW, i like albums that feature artists who can actually play their instruments, and sounds coming from them that resemble those musical instruments. I detest crappy production and find alot of it is to hide the fact that when it comes down to it, the bands featured on such crapply produced albums just arent that good at what they are doing.

Thanks champ. Nothing like being called Sunshine by a 19 year old to make ya feel young and spritely again.

And crikey, you better tell the people safe guarding the master tapes to all those classic albums by those falsely revered imposters likes of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Police, The Who, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, AC/DC, to go back and remix them to sound like "rock n roll" albums then. All of them sound far too warm and theres just far too much of that "perfect interplay of instruments" between the amazing list of musos whose name's most self respecting rock n roll fan can roll off their tongues just like Liam and Noel and, er, um, er.. whichever other household names that have been through Oasis and which will no doubt be just as revered in 25 year's time.

Stupidly i always thought that "interplay of instruments" was one of the major things that made many of those bands so influential to the generations of musicians after them and which i also stupidly thought was actually something that most people who have spent the time learning an instrument and being in a band strived for. Next time my bassplayer tries to lock in with me i'm gonna throw a drum stick at him and tell the silly prick to sod off!

I cant believe how wrong i had it. I'd always kinda figured it was a bit of a waste coming up with great tunes if you can't actually do justice to them when you record them or play them live. But that aint rock n roll apparently.

Whilst that statement makes absolutely no grammatical sense, i think i know what you're trying to say. And whilst you are sadly wrong in terms of studio trickery, i kinda agree with you. Nothing can replace the true human feel of a great muso or the tone of a beatifully crafted, properly tuned and skillfully played instrument. Imagine the combination when you apply the aformentioned to a well written song? (even though it may not be rock n roll to you)

Oasis mate. All the way. Undisputibly the greatest band in the history of man kind, whether it be recorded, live or snorting giant rails and admiring their monobrows. They are the sh*t.

And while they're no Oasis, i've heard big things about that Arctic Monkeys band, which is what i think this thread should return to talking about now.

Mate, you can write your essays but at the end of the day you and me like different music. By what you have said you like a well produced album that agrees with your musical taste.

I have seen Oasis play live and i can assure you that they are a true live band.

It seems to me you dislike Oasis simply because of the fact that you don't like their songs. Fair enough.

Keep to your perfect studio work mate and i'll stick to my tastes.

PS:- Have you ever heard of a full stop.

Carlos said:
Thats a corker of a post big guy.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on why a band needs 2 guitarists to be any good?

And thats not withstanding the fact that 99.99% of rock bands out there will have a bassplayer (anyone who feels like mentioning White Stripes to me can politely jam it by the way. Have heard few worse, more hollow sounding live bands in my life.)

Also, might your drab essays be due to the fact that your band only has 1 guitar player?

:D :D :D

LIONS then DAYLIGHT said:
Mate, you can write your essays
While i'm not really sure why i bothered in this particular case, its merely a matter of being passionate about what i write about and actually having more to say than just "blah blah is the greatest" or "you have no idea". Sorry if its a little much for you.
I have seen Oasis play live and i can assure you that they are a true live band.
Cool dude. I'm rapt for ya. I saw them on their first tour if Australia too FWIW. And yes, they were definitely live, so that i suppose makes them a true live band, whatever that means.
It seems to me you dislike Oasis simply because of the fact that you don't like their songs. Fair enough.
Incorrect. For a start, its not that i overly dislike them. I just find them bafflingly over-rated. I do acknowledge that Noely has penned the odd decent tune, but he's not exactly re-inventing the wheel with any of it and in the main i find his tunes bland and not overly stimulating or challenging to listen to. And i havent heard a whole lot of growth in his song-writing from Definitely Maybe (an album i owned when you were still in primary school) to now. I also think they are all very average players, in particular Liam whose voice is extremely one-dimentional IMO.
Keep to your perfect studio work mate and i'll stick to my tastes.
Thanks champ. I was really hoping i could keep listening to my existing collection as well as continuing to buy the stuff that interests me. Your vote of confidence means alot.

All i can say is that i hope as you grow up a bit you learn that there is a really big world of music out there to be experienced dude. I didn't think i'd ever see myself feeling the need to use this analogy, but music really is like food champ. I'd like to think you wouldn't eat the same type of cuisine every day of your life would you? I mean theres so many different and wonderful flavours and methods of preparing and serving them out there. Why would anyone just limit themselve's to just meat and potatoes if they had a choice?
PS:- Have you ever heard of a full stop.
Hmmm, its always a bad sign when someone resorts to that kind of response. Usually means they're trying to deflect attention away from the fact they are horribly out of their depth.

But yes, i'm quite comfortable with my grasp and implementation of punctuation and grammar thanks tiger. Oh, and if you're asking a question, you may want to make use of the question mark character at the end of the sentence. You know, this one: "?" Otherwise it just looks like a badly structured sentence, which in turn makes you look like a turnip.

On the topic, i dont know what this means, but i found myself at different stages last night with this tune drifitng in and out of my head. And i played a gig last night and found myself playing that little drum groove in the song's intro when i was sound checking my drums.

I dont think this means i like it, but it definitely has something interesting about it and is catchy as all hell.

Carlos said:
On the topic, i dont know what this means, but i found myself at different stages last night with this tune drifitng in and out of my head. And i played a gig last night and found myself playing that little drum groove in the song's intro when i was sound checking my drums.

I dont think this means i like it, but it definitely has something interesting about it and is catchy as all hell.

Do you want to form a band with me?

Carlos said:
Some good bands have come out of Brisbane. And i could do with a holiday. Could be a goer. You gonna fly me up big guy?

I don't live in Brisbane but we could record there.

You play drums, i'll play guitar and lead vocals.

No i can't afford to fly you up.

What do you want to call the band?

How about "drought"

** apologies to the Arctic Monkeys fans. This will be my last non-Arctic Monkeys related post in this thread **

Nah, this is the project where i do my Dave Grohl and step out from behind the kit. You can play drums if you like champ. If you're tunes are anything like your influences', then it'll be ********** easy.

And i was think more along the lines of something like:

The Champagne Supernovas
The Shakermakers
The Digsy's Dinners
The Magic Pies
The Girls in the Dirty Shirts
The Headshrinkers
The Little James'
The Hindu Times

You get the drift.

Enough now.

Mate, for a start, WTSMG is one of the finest albums ever made and really i don't think you know what your talking about.

WTSMG was the album that Oasis changed from their harder rock style of Defintely Maybe to the softer side of WTSMG incorperating a variety of strings, cello and piano.

Oasis are one of the last true guitar rock bands and their style is enhanced by their 2 pronged guitar attack.

Obviously if you can't hear any instruments in WTSMG you just aren't listening hard enough.

You make me laugh so regulary.

You're kind of liek Mike Sheehan commentating on Footy. For some reason, someone whos never played teh game seems to think he has some kind of poingant insight into the hows and whys...

You're the musical equivalent. :thumbsdown:

this has been an entertaining read... back on the makeup of bands a few pages back... bands don't need to have 2 guitarists and a bass player to be good... good 2 pieces that come to mind are the black keys, and the mess hall... these bands don't lack in their sound at all even if they don't have the "2 guitar attack" going for them... and i often believe it takes a bit more talent to make a good song with only one guitar as opposed to two... it's alot harder to have a whole sound as a 2 or 3 piece than it is a 4 piece...

and as for the arcitc monkeys i don't mind them, they seem pretty catchy... i've heard a bit of them as they've been the triple j feature album this week, and i'd like to hear more, although i don't think i'll become a big fan of them, i certainly enjoy their music...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

johnnyhoward said:
They've now made it onto Video Hits. Saw them for the first time just then, and they look like your typical pasty Pommy kids.

Good song though

That's what stuck me straight away. How young do they look! Damn made me feel old I can tell you now. Good on them for doing so well, seem decent enough.

I bought the album on Saturday. Obviously it's not the fifth best album of all time, but it's still a reasonably good listen. I've listened to it three times so far, and there's been nothing that's really made me want to skip, so that's a good sign.

mudgeathon said:
I saw them live on rage in the top 100, and I was very dissapointed. Crap song and extremely bad live, couldn't understand anything they were saying.

Never go to Yorkshire then. You'd struggle.

They're getting bigger and bigger

saw one of the kids from the band in The Age today, man he needs to get something done about those pimples :eek:

Oh yeah, I go out of my way to listen to them just to see how much I can hate them? :rolleyes:

You can't escape it when it plays on the radio at work every half an hour or so

Eriiin said:
Oh yeah, I go out of my way to listen to them just to see how much I can hate them? :rolleyes:

I think I may agree with you on something Erin, I hate them, they suck I don't get why everyones all in love with them :thumbsdown:

Eriiin said:

I gather you mean every few hours or so?

Get use to them babe because they are going to be absolutely huge here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back