Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
Meant to be the next big thing coming out of England according to a lot of the British Music media.

I've only heard a few of the tracks but i'm liking what i'm hearing.

Anyone else heard them?

The track "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" is getting a fair bit of JJJ airplay. The way Nova are going it could make it to their station fairly shortly.

patsmith

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
92&94&06
My cousin told me about them about six months ago. They've been lined up to play all the major festivals, so they will probably breakout very soon.

Eriiin

All Australian
Feb 5, 2004
Eltham
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I saw this horrible, horrible band on channel v last night.

Shocking, shocking, shocking. They sounded out of time, strange, vocals were nasty and it actually disturbed me that they could have a single fan.

'i'm liking what i'm hearing.'
'will be a hit'
'breakout very soon'
'Brilliant'

??!! WTF is wrong with you people? They have NO talent at ALL. They sound like 13 year olds. The only good post so far has been from Eriiin.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ninty said:
'i'm liking what i'm hearing.'
'will be a hit'
'breakout very soon'
'Brilliant'

??!! WTF is wrong with you people? They have NO talent at ALL. They sound like 13 year olds. The only good post so far has been from Eriiin.

That's awful self richeous for a guy with a limp Bizkit avatar. And for the record I didn't say I liked them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aritro

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LFC, South Melbourne FC
Pretty good band. I'm digging the cheesy Northern twang also. Why does every popular act sing in a fake American accent?

Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
Arctic Monkeys make UK chart history

Alex Kumi
Monday January 30, 2006
The Guardian

The Arctic Monkeys completed their transformation from underground heroes to bona fide rock stars last night as their album became the fastest selling debut in British chart history.

The quartet's Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, secured 363,735 over-the-counter sales during the first week of release. Downloads from online stores are likely to push the opening sales beyond 400,000 - although these sales have not been included in the tally.

Manufactured pop group Hear'Say previously held the record for the fastest-selling debut in Britain with 306,631.

The Arctic Monkeys' mammoth sales are particularly impressive because January is traditionally a month of low record sales, and pirate copies of the album were leaked online last month.

The Sheffield four-piece, who got together after they were given guitars for Christmas, have enjoyed a rapid rise after playing their first gigs in 2003. The reputations of singer Alex Turner, 19, guitarist Jamie Cook, 20, bassist Andy Nicholson, 19, and drummer Matt Helders, 19, spread online after they released their first songs on their website.

Their rough and energetic album, which features tales of working-class life, alcopops and prostitution, has drawn comparisons with The Clash and Oasis.

A comparison between sales of the Arctic Monkeys' debut and that of Oasis highlights the impact made by the Yorkshire band as their sales dwarf the 55,854 copies sold in the first week of Definitely Maybe, the Manchester band's 1994 debut. However, Oasis's Be Here Now remains the fastest-selling British album after it sold 655,000 in August 1997.

A spokesman for music retailer HMV said: "In terms of sheer impact, where a band has come from virtual obscurity to achieve huge, overnight success, we haven't seen anything quite like this since the Beatles."

The band, signed to the independent Domino label, have scored two No 1 singles: I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor and, last week, When the Sun Goes Down. Despite only just being released, the Arctic Monkeys' album recently came fifth in NME's greatest British albums poll. :D

Last week they celebrated their success with a sold-out concert in Dublin, the first date of the countrywide tour.

Dec 21, 2004
London
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
St.Albans FC/Spurs
manutd/dogs said:
Gonna be huge.

Their best song is 'Mardy Bum'. Classic. Also check out 'Fake Tales Of San Francisco'.

They are great. have bought their CD. Their sound is a mix of early Strokes/The Coral.....definitley very English sound which is probably why they wont be that big in Oz......

Personally, reckon they are a great band with a good sound, better than Kaiser Chief's and Franz Ferdinand

Comparable for mine to The Music!

Eriiin

All Australian
Feb 5, 2004
Eltham
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
LIONS then DAYLIGHT said:
How many guitar players do they have, if they don't have 2 guitar players and a bass player then really i wouldn't start getting to excited.

Um... what? Have i totally missed something here? Why do they need a lead and rhythm guitarist to be interesting? Bands don't need two guitarists...
Oh wait, is it because Oasis do?

P.s. The song gets worse each time I hear it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back