Arctic Monkeys

Remove this Banner Ad

LIONS then DAYLIGHT said:
How many guitar players do they have, if they don't have 2 guitar players and a bass player then really i wouldn't start getting to excited.
Thats a corker of a post big guy.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on why a band needs 2 guitarists to be any good?

And thats not withstanding the fact that 99.99% of rock bands out there will have a bassplayer (anyone who feels like mentioning White Stripes to me can politely jam it by the way. Have heard few worse, more hollow sounding live bands in my life.)

Heard a couple of songs and i'm not really that impressed.

How many guitar players do they have, if they don't have 2 guitar players and a bass player then really i wouldn't start getting to excited.

I'm pretty sure they have 2 guitar players and a bass player. The only thing is that none of them have really learnt how to play their instruments yet.

Errrriinnn. Get use to them as Nova have just started playing them on an hourly basis.

FrediKanoute said:
They are great. have bought their CD. Their sound is a mix of early Strokes/The Coral.....definitley very English sound which is probably why they wont be that big in Oz......

Personally, reckon they are a great band with a good sound, better than Kaiser Chief's and Franz Ferdinand

Comparable for mine to The Music!

Don't really see the STrokes comparison.

Razorlight or The Libertines would be a better comparison.

Don't mind dancefloor, I can't quite see why they are so huge based off that song, but then I'm never a good judge of these things.

The album should be an interesting listen.

Eriiin said:
Um... what? Have i totally missed something here? Why do they need a lead and rhythm guitarist to be interesting? Bands don't need two guitarists...
Oh wait, is it because Oasis do?

P.s. The song gets worse each time I hear it

The reason is IMO it gives a more multi-layered sound rather then just a pretty simple riff through the speakers.

Listen to a band like Grinspoon and you can tell straight away that they have one guitar player while if you listen to Morning Glory by Oasis you can hear the two guitars and it makes for better music.

It's just my taste mate.

JJJ were saying this morning that some big music magazine has just labelled the album as the 6th best OF ALL TIME!!

The reason is IMO it gives a more multi-layered sound rather then just a pretty simple riff through the speakers.
I think you'll usually find its in the live setting that you really notice the difference between a band with 1 or 2 guitarists dude. Theres not much stopping a 3 piece band for example layering their guitar parts as many times as they like in the studio.
Listen to a band like Grinspoon and you can tell straight away that they have one guitar player while if you listen to Morning Glory by Oasis you can hear the two guitars and it makes for better music.
I'm no Grinspoon fan by any stretch, but their guitar sound sh*ts all over anything i've heard on an Oasis album IMO.

And I defy anyone who can pick out any discernable instrument on WTSMG! One of, if not THE worst production of any major label album i've ever heard. It a mess. It sounds like the drummer forgot to set up his kick drum, the bass player gets credits on the album but i'm buggered if i can hear the prick and the guitar tones in particular are just disgusting. Its just a wall of noise.

Each to their own though.

Oh, and i downloaded the tune being discussed. I really dug the little groove in the first 4 bars, espcially the little feel the drummer had going and thought maybe i was finally in for something special from today's latest and greatest. Jeez did it go pear shaped after that...

Not as offensive as some of the crap i've heard lately, but is this really as good as it gets these days?

Carlos said:
I think you'll usually find its in the live setting that you really notice the difference between a band with 1 or 2 guitarists dude. Theres not much stopping a 3 piece band for example layering their guitar parts as many times as they like in the studio.

I'm no Grinspoon fan by any stretch, but their guitar sound sh*ts all over anything i've heard on an Oasis album IMO.

And I defy anyone who can pick out any discernable instrument on WTSMG! One of, if not THE worst production of any major label album i've ever heard. It a mess. It sounds like the drummer forgot to set up his kick drum, the bass player gets credits on the album but i'm buggered if i can hear the prick and the guitar tones in particular are just disgusting. Its just a wall of noise.

Each to their own though.

Oh, and i downloaded the tune being discussed. I really dug the little groove in the first 4 bars, espcially the little feel the drummer had going and thought maybe i was finally in for something special from today's latest and greatest. Jeez did it go pear shaped after that...

Not as offensive as some of the crap i've heard lately, but is this really as good as it gets these days?

Mate, for a start, WTSMG is one of the finest albums ever made and really i don't think you know what your talking about.

WTSMG was the album that Oasis changed from their harder rock style of Defintely Maybe to the softer side of WTSMG incorperating a variety of strings, cello and piano.

Oasis are one of the last true guitar rock bands and their style is enhanced by their 2 pronged guitar attack.

Obviously if you can't hear any instruments in WTSMG you just aren't listening hard enough.

Mate, for a start, WTSMG is one of the finest albums ever made and really i don't think you know what your talking about.

WTSMG was the album that Oasis changed from their harder rock style of Defintely Maybe to the softer side of WTSMG incorperating a variety of strings, cello and piano.

Oasis are one of the last true guitar rock bands and their style is enhanced by their 2 pronged guitar attack.

Obviously if you can't hear any instruments in WTSMG you just aren't listening hard enough.

Can you read?

You know you've made it when.....

Arctic Monkeys have been covered by Sugababes.

The girl group are set to release their version of 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' as the B-side to their upcoming single 'Red Dress'.

In October, Arctic Monkeys knocked Sugababes' 'Push The Button' from the top of the UK singles chart when they released the song.

Arctic Monkeys' 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' this week became the UK's fastest-ever selling debut album.

The LP topped the chart after racking up 363,735 sales in its' first week. That now overtakes Hear'Say - 306,631 snapped up their 'Popstars' album in its' first seven days onsale in March 2001.

'Red Dress' is set for release on March 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please. Get your hand off it. Yes they maybe a reasonably good band but "one of the last true guitar rock bands" - maybe you need to get out and see some live shows or start listening to other music that is out there.

Jaymin said:
You know you've made it when.....

Arctic Monkeys have been covered by Sugababes.

The girl group are set to release their version of 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' as the B-side to their upcoming single 'Red Dress'.

hmm, sounds interesting. Not srue how good it'll sound though.

You're a beauty you are. I doubt even Liam himself would feel as strongly about his brother's band that has made him so rich and famous despite such a limited talent base as what you do mate! Its truly amazing.

I really am reluctant to get into a debate regarding your opinion of the quality of the material on WTSMG or indeed the merits of your call regarding where it sits in terms of the all time greats. Going by the evidence at hand i'm not sure you are coming from a position of the most rounded perspective in terms of what you've exposed yourself to musically other than Oasis's twin guitar attack. But i suggest you re-read what i wrote champ.

I was commenting on the production of the album, not its material. While i may not know what i'm talking about according to you, i do know how i like a guitar to sound, the feel i like from a bass sound and where i like it to sit, what sort of note i like from a kick drum or the attack i like from a snare drum. In other words i mean tones, where each instrument sits in the mix and the over-all sound of an album.

While you clearly have more knowledge in this area than me or anyone else here who may not share your exulted view of Noely and the boys or who may have spent a little bit of time behind an instrument in a recording studio, in my opinion the sounds on WTSMG truly is aweful, it does the tunes little justice and is far more abrasive and noisier than Definitely Maybe (which i'm not sure i've ever heard described as a heavy rock sounding album. But i dont know much about heavy rock...)
Oasis are one of the last true guitar rock bands
I dont know where to start with that one. Thats just adorable.
and their style is enhanced by their 2 pronged guitar attack.
Yep, those 3 chords that Noely is famous for just sound so much more lush when interplaying with whichever faceless hireling he chooses to dictate their guitar part to.
I can assure you of one thing champ, i certainly don't hear them anymore. Theres something about poorly produced 3 chord pop tunes with complete babble for lyrics that kinda become a bit old after a while.

Each to their own though big guy. I clearly dont know what i'm talking about.

Carlos said:
You're a beauty you are. I doubt even Liam himself would feel as strongly about his brother's band that has made him so rich and famous despite such a limited talent base as what you do mate! Its truly amazing.

I really am reluctant to get into a debate regarding your opinion of the quality of the material on WTSMG or indeed the merits of your call regarding where it sits in terms of the all time greats. Going by the evidence at hand i'm not sure you are coming from a position of the most rounded perspective in terms of what you've exposed yourself to musically other than Oasis's twin guitar attack. But i suggest you re-read what i wrote champ.

I was commenting on the production of the album, not its material. While i may not know what i'm talking about according to you, i do know how i like a guitar to sound, the feel i like from a bass sound and where i like it to sit, what sort of note i like from a kick drum or the attack i like from a snare drum. In other words i mean tones, where each instrument sits in the mix and the over-all sound of an album.

While you clearly have more knowledge in this area than me or anyone else here who may not share your exulted view of Noely and the boys or who may have spent a little bit of time behind an instrument in a recording studio, in my opinion the sounds on WTSMG truly is aweful, it does the tunes little justice and is far more abrasive and noisier than Definitely Maybe (which i'm not sure i've ever heard described as a heavy rock sounding album. But i dont know much about heavy rock...)

I dont know where to start with that one. Thats just adorable.

Yep, those 3 chords that Noely is famous for just sound so much more lush when interplaying with whichever faceless hireling he chooses to dictate their guitar part to.

I can assure you of one thing champ, i certainly don't hear them anymore. Theres something about poorly produced 3 chord pop tunes with complete babble for lyrics that kinda become a bit old after a while.

Each to their own though big guy. I clearly dont know what i'm talking about.

Mate, there is the difference between what you and me think about music.

It sounds to me that you like albums to sound perfect with a perfect interplay of instruments and a perfect mix.

Well, sorry to break it to you sunshine but that is not rock n roll.

No amount of mucking around in the studio can make someone say something better at the end of the day it's a great song or not.

PS:- What bands do you like.

Each for their own sunshine, keep going in the studio mate.

funkyfreo said:
JJJ were saying this morning that some big music magazine has just labelled the album as the 6th best OF ALL TIME!!

NME has it as the 5th best British album of all time. This is possibly what you are referring to.

http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/22062

1. The Stone Roses 'The Stone Roses'
2. The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead'
3. Oasis 'Definitely Maybe'
4. Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks'
5. Arctic Monkeys 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'
6. Blur 'Modern Life Is Rubbish'
7. Pulp 'Different Class'
8. The Clash 'London Calling'
9. The Beatles 'Revolver'
10. The Libertines 'Up The Bracket'

**** said:
5. Arctic Monkeys 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'
8. The Clash 'London Calling'
9. The Beatles 'Revolver'

Ahm, ok.

I haven't heard a thing of these chaps, but I would imagine this is one half decent album, although I am sure it probably isn't.

It's a reader's poll and no person with a musical clue reads their magazine.

I don't mind the Arctic Monkeys sound. It's listenable to the point of me not changing Tripple J.

But to put it ahead of;

Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of The Holy
Dark Side of the Moon
Let It Bleed
Exile On Main Street
Blue Lines
The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
etc.
etc.

...leads me to believe the Poms' inbreeding has reached a point where devolution has taken hold!

I can't get the song 'Mardy Bum' out of my head now, ripper track.

Good album too. Obviously not worth the hype but very listenable.

Irritates me how much NME driven hyperbole's following them around though.

Mate, there is the difference between what you and me think about music.
I think you may be into something there dude. For a start, my music collection consists of a little bit more than just the 5 or so albums that Oasis have released.
It sounds to me that you like albums to sound perfect with a perfect interplay of instruments and a perfect mix.
You're a classic.

FWIW, i like albums that feature artists who can actually play their instruments, and sounds coming from them that resemble those musical instruments. I detest crappy production and find alot of it is to hide the fact that when it comes down to it, the bands featured on such crapply produced albums just arent that good at what they are doing.
Well, sorry to break it to you sunshine but that is not rock n roll.
Thanks champ. Nothing like being called Sunshine by a 19 year old to make ya feel young and spritely again.

And crikey, you better tell the people safe guarding the master tapes to all those classic albums by those falsely revered imposters likes of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Police, The Who, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, AC/DC, to go back and remix them to sound like "rock n roll" albums then. All of them sound far too warm and theres just far too much of that "perfect interplay of instruments" between the amazing list of musos whose name's most self respecting rock n roll fan can roll off their tongues just like Liam and Noel and, er, um, er.. whichever other household names that have been through Oasis and which will no doubt be just as revered in 25 year's time.

Stupidly i always thought that "interplay of instruments" was one of the major things that made many of those bands so influential to the generations of musicians after them and which i also stupidly thought was actually something that most people who have spent the time learning an instrument and being in a band strived for. Next time my bassplayer tries to lock in with me i'm gonna throw a drum stick at him and tell the silly prick to sod off!

I cant believe how wrong i had it. I'd always kinda figured it was a bit of a waste coming up with great tunes if you can't actually do justice to them when you record them or play them live. But that aint rock n roll apparently.
No amount of mucking around in the studio can make someone say something better at the end of the day it's a great song or not.
Whilst that statement makes absolutely no grammatical sense, i think i know what you're trying to say. And whilst you are sadly wrong in terms of studio trickery, i kinda agree with you. Nothing can replace the true human feel of a great muso or the tone of a beatifully crafted, properly tuned and skillfully played instrument. Imagine the combination when you apply the aformentioned to a well written song? (even though it may not be rock n roll to you)
PS:- What bands do you like.
Oasis mate. All the way. Undisputibly the greatest band in the history of man kind, whether it be recorded, live or snorting giant rails and admiring their monobrows. They are the sh*t.

And while they're no Oasis, i've heard big things about that Arctic Monkeys band, which is what i think this thread should return to talking about now.

Carlos said:
And while they're no Oasis, i've heard big things about that Arctic Monkeys band, which is what i think this thread should return to talking about now.

Do we have to, I was quite enjoying your ripping a new arsehole into the ass he already has (in his neck.) :D

The Hippie said:
Do we have to, I was quite enjoying your ripping a new arsehole into the ass he already has (in his neck.) :D
Sorry dude, but i'm busy ripping a new arse hole in my cd collection, getting rid of all those crap bands that only have 1 guitarist.

I mean look at this sample list that have been filling up valuable space:

Led Zeppelin. I stupidly own every album. Thats alot of very empty sounding fake rock n roll which i'm really glad our Oasis loving guru has awoken me to.

The Police? Imposters.

The Who? Pfft.

Hendrix? What did he ever do?

Fast forward a bit:

Muse? I dont know why the 3 of them even bother.

Nirvana? Its not like anyone ever listened to that empty sounding crap!

Pantera? Dimebag died in vane by the sounds of things. All that time playing by himself. Not many people took much notice thankfully...

Tool? Alice in Chains? Living Colour? These cats sound like they cant play compared to the the twin guitar attacks of the Oasis', Powderfingers and Nickelbacks of this world!!

And i was almost happy for a moment when i realised i could keep my Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Shihad etc etc albums. All those guitarists!! Yeah, rock n rol... er hang on. Silly me! Suffice to say those hacks dont hold a candle to Noely and the boys for tunes or musicianship. But the bastards all have far too much "interplay" and in most cases are produced in that terrible un-rock n roll fashion of actually sounding warm and full of musical tones. Out they go!

My local cash conversters is gonna love me! Theres a few cds here...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back