Arctic Monkeys

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I can't say I'm too fussed about Arctic Monkeys reviews anymore. They'll get some "best since..." raves, some "jumped the shark..." pans, I just hope it's another keeper for the fans like their last five.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
First impressions?

There's no doubt Alex has grown as a songwriter but there is a lot of bollocks in this album. I get why they chose not to release any singles too.

I'm hoping it is a grower and I have a feeling it will be

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Picked up physical, second listen at the moment.

First listen was regularly cringey reading along with the lyrics (something I don't usually do straight-off until acquainted, typically awkward), like The Cable Guy gone astro lounge.

Starting to really like it though, definitely a concept album. Batphone stood out most to me on first listen, felt contained and coherent. Four Out of Five fairly brilliant as well.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Really weird vibes. Probably their biggest deviation since Humbug.

70s/80s chill Rnb aka The Commodores or even Hall & Oates. Four Out of Five and The Ultracheese are the highlights so far, and the opener was pretty strong too.

Like most AM album these days, it'll definitely polarise but I think I'll enjoy it more than the last couple of LP's.

Still miss the old days though. Was watching a Glastonbury performance from 2007 and they were far more exciting, and the rhythm section much more involved. Ah well.

Last edited:
I’ve given it one full listen so far. It’s a pretty big departure, but there’s enough I like that I’ll go back to it.

The level of change kind of reminds me of how Bloc Party’s Hymns deviated from their formula. Think I’ll enjoy tranquility more than that album though.

Apr 12, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic FC, Milwaukee Bucks
What an album.

Only had one listen so far but really love the direction and sound. Very adventurous and weird which I love. Stand out tracks are the self titled, Four out of Five, She looks like fun and Ultracheese. Can't wait for more listens to dissect the rest.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
No clue. Star Treatment, Title track, Four Out of Five and Batphone probably my most preferred, but that could change tomorrow.

Golden Trunks and Monster Truck Front Flip probably the least impressive thus far.

But as said, it's very much an album piece, so talking about tracks feels slightly irrelevant (hence no singles). Sum>parts

Mar 11, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
After having listened to the new album now about 20 times, it's really started to hit me.

I like it a lot more than AM and Suck it now and see, I think it's a realistic shot of knocking off Humbug as my favourite Arctic Monkeys album. No songs that I'm wanting to skip, but also none that I'm really wanting to replay after just hearing - makes it a very consistent listen.

Back