Are ‘zones’ or ‘starting positions’ going to make the game better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Hatzoglou

Draftee
Apr 18, 2018
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
As the AFL get closer to the October deadline where its football operations manager Steve Hocking will announce the rule changes for the 2019 season, many opinions are circulating around the potential installation of ‘starting positions’ or ‘zones’.

In a secret session run by AFL umpire representatives last week at Etihad Stadium, Hawthorn players ran out for a scratch match to trial the new rule.

It was filmed for the AFL and its players’ association, which include Patrick Dangerfield as President, to see how it went.

Following the vision that Dangerfield saw with the AFL, he said on SEN radio that “We had a look through the vision of the Hawthorn training session from early in the week which was really interesting to see,”

“To be honest I really liked the look of it.

“I think it really does open up the game and we were able to see the differences of how it’s played now … and with the starting positions.

“It’s a far more exciting game I think.

Dangerfield strongly believed that it was a good solution to the congestion - although there is, as is often the case, a downside.

And only yesterday, Sam Landsberger reported another secret session held by the AFL in a tweet by asking the question “Did the Lions boys enjoy the open space at today’s secret rules trial at the Gabba?”.

Following on, it wrote “Understand one of the starting points was a full-forward and full-back in a bigger goalsquare. Another two pairs started in the arcs.”

In the objective to lessen congestion, are starting positions really the answer in our search for a reduced level of congestion?

Do we want to see players standing in the forward 50 when the balls on the opposite side of the ground?

When former AFL player and coach Paul Roos was asked about the possible rule change last Monday on Fox Footy’s ‘On The Couch’ he said that “[he] saw it for two years in the TAC Cup. It just doesn’t work. If it’s a windy day, you got four forwards standing on the other end of the ground. Players will be going; hang on I haven’t touched the ball.”

The other question that comes to mind is; if your club’s a bottom four team and you’re up against a top-eight team, would you like to see an open game of high scoring footy where goals are being scored freely and rapidly by the opposition?

In Hawthorn’s scratch match to trial the rule, both teams would’ve been evenly spread in talent for an even contest. The AFL is yet to see how it will go under an uneven game where one team is dominating.

As many witnessed last week between St Kilda and Sydney, the game was lost its competitive lustre after quarter time when Sydney were up by 48 points.

clip_image002.png

Sydney made light work of the Saints. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

Not only was the game lost that quickly but Saturday night footy and the whole footy world may have been tempted to switch on to something else more compelling. The commentators had a tough job to maintain interest for the viewers and the fans were unless you were a Sydney supporter, nonplussed by the one-sided nature of the contest.

The game certainly did nothing to prove how much of an entertaining sport AFL really is. The game was a lifeless spectacle and invited TV viewers to abandon the coverage to watch a different sport.

This high scoring first quarter, that some would describe as entertaining due to an open game where the ball movement was fast. Although, as evident in this game and quarter of footy, high scoring, free-flowing, uncongested footy is not always the most entertaining product to watch.

By the time the AFL announce its rule changes in early October, they will ultimately want to enhance the entertainment value of the game.

They are always trying to do this to get the edge on other sporting codes and deliver the best product to current and potential audiences.

Opening up the game might seem to be a good solution for congestion - although the downside is that it may reduce the number of close games of footy that fans get to see each year.

Margins will be able to blow out more easily when the dominant teams play struggling teams – meaning there is the greater chance that games will be over before they’ve even started.

Fans may choose to not even bother watching more than a quarter on TV, let alone going to the game.

The game will be poorer if this is a regular occurrence. It will lose fans and supporters of the game as there will be better alternatives for people to partake in.

Every game of footy must have some doubt in it, a sense of uncertainty to what will be the end result. It is the epitome of good competition. 

The game must set targets to ensure that this is satisfied as best as it can without significant rule changes.

The games long history needs to be considered and respected. The AFL must consider the integrity of the game and maintain it to its utmost honesty and honour.

For the game to implement starting positions or zones of some sort is simply too big a change to this integrity that the games upheld for so long in its history.

A small solution which does not change the rules of the game but simply reduces congestion is what Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said last week.

“There's some quite cosmetic changes we can make, like balling the ball up a bit quicker, which means you don't nominate ruckman, it's the team's obligation to make sure they've only got one up if we want to maintain the one-up rule.”

As stated in an article written previously, it is a small solution that will get the ruckman to ball ups on time which will reduce the number of players around the ball.

Beveridge also stated that “There's things currently in the game through the broadcast and the umpires not moving the game on quick enough that encourage and entice congestion.”

This is an issue which the AFL could fix through a deal with their Channel Seven and Foxtel broadcasters.

It is something the AFL should do if they really care and think that congestion is a big issue of the game. If so, they will need to show their resilience to lose a bit of commercial money for the game to run as best as possible.

Two simple solutions stated by Beveridge that should be considered as they won’t significantly affect the traditions that have defined the game for centuries.

Even if the AFL doesn’t choose to stop broadcasters from holding up the game, there are many other small solutions that the AFL can make to reduce congestion without a lot of changes.

For example, extending the running distance to 20 metres so players can run further without having to bounce the ball.

“There will always be times when there's a lot of numbers in certain areas but I think we make the cosmetic changes and see how it affects us, let's not be too dramatic.” Beveridge said in a press conference last week.

This is the ultimate consideration that the AFL must take on board during the process of making any rule changes over the next few months.

The AFL need to look at making the game better with the least amount of rule changes as possible.

Small steps - the rule changes don’t have to come out all at once. One by one, they can be implemented, assessed and reviewed with the long-term aim to reduce congestion over a longer period.

The game could be adversely affected and come under threat if drastic rules changes are implemented therefore the AFL as custodians of the game must act responsibly and do it slowly.

This will ultimately be the best way that we can discover the right rule changes that will ensure the highest level of Australian rules football is an entertaining spectacle.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/06/20/zones-starting-positions-going-make-game-better/

Well Im thankful I have ECO'd somewhat from footy. I still love watching it, but I dont care like its the end of the world anymore.
I dont like the idea, but 5 years ago I would have been screaming blue murder. Now Im just "meh".

Something needs to change, Im not sure what though. I never thought zones would come in, or this easily either but there you go.

Well Im thankful I have ECO'd somewhat from footy. I still love watching it, but I dont care like its the end of the world anymore.
I dont like the idea, but 5 years ago I would have been screaming blue murder. Now Im just "meh".

Something needs to change, Im not sure what though. I never thought zones would come in, or this easily either but there you go.
ECO?

Emotionally checked, or something similar.

Short answer is no. As the article suggests, its going to create some absolute massacres in uneven matchups and I doubt will effect congestion at all. You never have EVERY player on the ball and having your forwards 100metres off the ball instead of 50 isnt going to change that.

I cant wait for the outrage as the game is constantly stopped at stoppages while players get back inside 50. There is no way because of this rule that players will just hang inside 50. Just will not happen. Those days are gone, zones or no zones.

Yes zones if done right will make the game more entertaining, no doubt. Before basketball had a crosscourt and shotclock rules scores would be like 16-22 . After it was like 70-110 . More attacking, more entertaining, lets go baby.

I'll admit I'm a fan of the starting positions as opposed to zones. Having said that, I was at the Carlton/Fremantle game on Saturday and find that generally at a centre bounce there are 5 or 6 players from each team in the 50m arc anyway.

Perhaps that's why, if we are going to do it, it needs to be the 25m arc and 50m arc (3 in each). Either way I think its a simple change, relatively easy to police, and doesn't impact the general freedom the of the game.

Do we want to see players standing in the forward 50 when the balls on the opposite side of the ground?

When former AFL player and coach Paul Roos was asked about the possible rule change last Monday on Fox Footy’s ‘On The Couch’ he said that “[he] saw it for two years in the TAC Cup. It just doesn’t work. If it’s a windy day, you got four forwards standing on the other end of the ground. Players will be going; hang on I haven’t touched the ball.”

Is this really an issue? It happened for 90 years pretty much. I certainly don't think that 4 blokes sooking cause of FOMO is reason enough to not implement this type of thing.

But it's only at centre bounces anyway I think? So if you want to chase the ball around and clog up the D50 and root the game up for the viewers, you can still do it. You just have to wait until the ball is bounced - then you have to cart your arse back to the F50 after a goal.

The other question that comes to mind is; if your club’s a bottom four team and you’re up against a top-eight team, would you like to see an open game of high scoring footy where goals are being scored freely and rapidly by the opposition?

In my opinion, anything is better than the s**t we see each week currently. I'd rather watch good players play good footy, and if that means we get blow outs - then so be it.

I love a good, close game - but I only watch the last 10 minutes. I can't sit through a Richmond game for more than about 5 minutes these days. I respect that they're good in the sense that they're winning games of football, but s**t man it's barely even football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, anything is better than the s**t we see each week currently. I'd rather watch good players play good footy, and if that means we get blow outs - then so be it.

I love a good, close game - but I only watch the last 10 minutes. I can't sit through a Richmond game for more than about 5 minutes these days. I respect that they're good in the sense that they're winning games of football, but s**t man it's barely even football.

The brisbane vs hawks game should be the blueprint we want. Brisbane aint the greatest team rolling around but in that game it was free flowing, high scoring and ENTERTAINING even though it was Brisbane. We want to see the best players doing the best things which means kicking goals, taking marks and roughing other people up.

Every time there is a marking contest there should be a contest if there are zones, it isn't just about guys running around with no one on them.

Still think the introduction of a rugby league style offside rule around any stoppage where only 3 players from each side can be within 20m of the competing rucks until one ruck touches the ball is the way to go. Pretty much a watered down version of what Sam Newman suggested (half of what the centre square is), but extended to the entire ground and not just a centre bounce.

Leave the rest of the game how it is - I like the option that coaches have of sending their forwards down into defensive 50 to block up space - and just get rid of the slop that happens at stoppages.

I cant wait for the outrage as the game is constantly stopped at stoppages while players get back inside 50. There is no way because of this rule that players will just hang inside 50. Just will not happen. Those days are gone, zones or no zones.
This is the big question for me too. I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding something though. Wouldn't this just slow the game down more?

Allow anyone to contest the ruck and throw the ball up as fast as possible, Let players run 20 meters per bounce.

That's it, Those changes alone will make a difference, No need to make big changes.

Potentially look at dropping interchange to 50.
Disagree.

By the time those changes are in effect, a stoppage has already occurred.

It has almost certainly occurred because there are 36 blokes crowded around the contest.

That's what needs to be addressed.

This is the big question for me too. I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding something though. Wouldn't this just slow the game down more?
The zones are intended for centre bounces.

Gives players time to get back to their zone - and gives the TV networks more ad time between goals to sell.

Everyone's a winner!

Still think the introduction of a rugby league style offside rule around any stoppage where only 3 players from each side can be within 20m of the competing rucks until one ruck touches the ball is the way to go. Pretty much a watered down version of what Sam Newman suggested (half of what the centre square is), but extended to the entire ground and not just a centre bounce.

Leave the rest of the game how it is - I like the option that coaches have of sending their forwards down into defensive 50 to block up space - and just get rid of the slop that happens at stoppages.
Offside never. Awful to adjudicate, zones have similar issues. Starting positions worth a try.

I'd start by saying you have to have 1 player inside 50 at all stoppages by the time the ball is thrown up and if you don't it's a free kick against.

If the ball is in your forward line or midfield it won't be a problem, but if the ball is in your backline you damn well better have someone staying forward or you're gifting a shot on goal.

We don't want to be waiting for 3 players to trudge back inside 50 before a ball up can happen. Start with 1, but don't make it optional for those players to leisurely jog back, make it a mandated requirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back