Are Adelaide now in crisis?

Remove this Banner Ad

So is moral relativism. Please.

The two supporter bases are quite different, and the two clubs'... "voices" in the media are also quite different in their distribution and their approach.

There never will be "Port equivalents" to Cornes or Rowe... let alone to Jars on MMM or Warren Partland in print. Rooch started life as a Port fan, but he's prepared to sink the boot in to anyone who won't give him the scoop - when Keith closed off a certain very leaky mouth at the club some years back when Port were most definitely in crisis, Rooch let fly for months while his club was just about being burned down. Anything, just to try to force folks to talk to him. Tim Ginever, when he's around, has a personality in inverse proportion to his height ;) but never, ever hides his Port origins, how could he, it just wouldn't make sense would it? Kane is a relatively polished performer so a comparison with "Elbows" Bickley seems close on the surface, but of all these folks only one is an employee in the pay of their former club yet affecting the appearance of an impartial journalist at the same time. Port's media manager comes on and delivers "obvious Port propaganda", because it's their pre-announced job, and you're surprised, but Bicks doing the same for the Crows with a veneer of journalistic pretence is somehow at the same level of honesty, rather than rotten #fakenews factory Adelaide Crows style? As for Roo commenting on games and free kick decisions for and against his own well lets just say Eddie Mc does all that a whole lot better :eek:

As for all "your" part timers in the media I admire the Crows getting around "cash for comments" rules with their ambassador program, but it's a corrupt and corrupting culture in the end that goes way past the formally paid and the openly biased or partly crazy folks mentioned above. There's Smithson, Crows Ambassador, parking himself outside Ryder's house for days, for naught. Elspeth, Crows match day host extraordinaire, leaving a disgraceful trail of verbage on the interwebs now "associated with" young Sam Powell-Pepper's name forever. Culture.

Anyways. It's clearly not a crisis if you don't feel the need to change anything because its all the same, right? :p

That's a lot of words to illustrate what I was saying. So thanks. :thumbsu:

3 long bomb goals from the half back line on Saturday night.
Not pinch-hitting up forwards. From the backline.

Who was the last defender to kick 3 goals in a game?
Has a defender ever been the leading goalkicker in an AFL game?

Sicily is a monty to be named in the All Australian team.
Brilliant, you almost got me.

This is a team that whooped the Tigers at AO and the Swans at their place this season. Yeah they're down, but there's a bit if that old chestnut of over reliance on short term data to predict long term outcomes I think. It's likely they'll turn it around at some point.

Last edited:
I think its pretty simple injuries are killing them . This whole preseason thing sounds like a bullshit cop out .

From their best team last year .

Out

Lever- quality young defender
Cameron - quality forward / mid with pace and can hit the score board

Injured long term
Sloane- top 10 mid in the comp
B Crouch - top 4 mid at the club
Smith - Best HBF and rebounding kick at the club
Knight - fast winger who adds great pace and hardness
Mcgovern- best 22 forward who kicks a goal a game .

Injured short term
Walker MCouch lynch laird

Add this to sauce and betts being out of form and its pretty obvious why they are struggling .

I dont know any team that could cover so many injuries to key players .

So is moral relativism. Please.

The two supporter bases are quite different, and the two clubs'... "voices" in the media are also quite different in their distribution and their approach.

There never will be "Port equivalents" to Cornes or Rowe... let alone to Jars on MMM or Warren Partland in print. Rooch started life as a Port fan, but he's prepared to sink the boot in to anyone who won't give him the scoop - when Keith closed off a certain very leaky mouth at the club some years back when Port were most definitely in crisis, Rooch let fly for months while his club was just about being burned down. Anything, just to try to force folks to talk to him. Tim Ginever, when he's around, has a personality in inverse proportion to his height ;) but never, ever hides his Port origins, how could he, it just wouldn't make sense would it? Kane is a relatively polished performer so a comparison with "Elbows" Bickley seems close on the surface, but of all these folks only one is an employee in the pay of their former club yet affecting the appearance of an impartial journalist at the same time. Port's media manager comes on and delivers "obvious Port propaganda", because it's their pre-announced job, and you're surprised, but Bicks doing the same for the Crows with a veneer of journalistic pretence is somehow at the same level of honesty, rather than rotten #fakenews factory Adelaide Crows style? As for Roo commenting on games and free kick decisions for and against his own well lets just say Eddie Mc does all that a whole lot better :eek:

As for all "your" part timers in the media I admire the Crows getting around "cash for comments" rules with their ambassador program, but it's a corrupt and corrupting culture in the end that goes way past the formally paid and the openly biased or partly crazy folks mentioned above. There's Smithson, Crows Ambassador, parking himself outside Ryder's house for days, for naught. Elspeth, Crows match day host extraordinaire, leaving a disgraceful trail of verbage on the interwebs now "associated with" young Sam Powell-Pepper's name forever. Culture.

Anyways. It's clearly not a crisis if you don't feel the need to change anything because its all the same, right? :p
This is good and so ******* true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really... whenever I hear that discussion between folks who have actually met him, and or know him and or his relatives (bloody Adelaide, there's always someone) it usually starts with odd phrases like "candlewatts of brain power" and goes rapidly downhill from there.

OK... I'll have a go at weaving several known threads together.

Brett gets a mention in histories of victims of the infamous Firepower scam. Others involved include his then coach Craig, team mates Simon Goodwin (noted for enjoying a speculative punt), Wayne Carey (noted for a few other dodgy off field things) and Mark Ricciuto (now his boss). It is claimed one of the Crows involved doubled their investment by selling these shares to one of his own team mates. With so many around the one club on the hook, the scammer in chief even floated a scheme to make the Crows a heap of money by co-marketing the bogus pills.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/ae5b8648f5ba26a1b0ae1f3d6b4084f7

So post playing career Brett goes and does his fitness thing at Brisbane for a few years and eventually they start going down like flies.

Two years ago the old Boys Club (ie Mark Ricciuto) bring him in and lo and behold once the program kicks in, after a remarkably injury free year, Crows start going down like flies. Brett brings in one of his fitness underlings from Brisbane and lo and behold weeks later is promoted to footy ops manager and his new-hire mate gets an instant promotion.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/6cacfeb97900ac1e2caeb6a1455619b4

While in Brisbane, Brett comes across Collective Minds. Once back in Adelaide he's keen to get the well known "Leading Teams" in followed quickly by the more left of centre "Collective Minds" folks in to help deliver some sort of edge. Must get in early on the legitimate deal of a lifetime, yeah? Messing with the body is now pretty much off limits courtesy Essendon and WADA, so lets go with messing about "above the shoulders". And then, mere months after overseeing a few player contractual 'issues' in his first year as footy ops dude (some of which are still festering nicely), after the embarrassment of "the Stare" that crawled out of the initial "work" with Collective Minds... well, what do they do, of course, they double down their Betts ... and then stories start leaking about a certain pre-season camp run by these Collective Minds folks...

Some folks troll right in using the old "after this, therefore because of this" logical fallacy. And that gets tedious.

But at some point, you do have to wonder about the, um, bushfire awareness of a place run like that. Things getting pretty damn smoky there folks.

Other folks take a higher road by mentioning the chances of lightning striking twice... or even three times... and take a fair swipe at things like "the old boys club" of places like Adelaide... places like the SANFL and the Crows especially. Also known as... "culture".
That was a really good run down. Take burton out of the equation and 2018 looks significantly different imo

I think its pretty simple injuries are killing them . This whole preseason thing sounds like a bullshit cop out .

Out

Injured long term

Injured short term

Add this to sauce and betts being out of form and its pretty obvious why they are struggling .

Have you seen the bulldogs injury list? Using injuries as an excuse for effort doesn’t wash with me. The captain is a down hill skier of epic proportions, looks great when they are up and about but MIA as soon as it gets tough.

What I've noticed with Adelaide over the years, is it's never their coach or their players. It's always "Trigg" and now this Burton guy.
We've sacked enough coaches in our time. Except for our first two seasons in the competition, no Crows coach has ever survived missing finals two years in a row.

Portology posted a good summary above of what Burton has brought to the club: not a lot of positives.

I sat inmmenatl ward yesterday waiting to see a client who has had multiple drug physcosis ..his family is distraught

They lost a son to car accident last year

That’s a crisis ....not a football team mid table

Words like crisis are used in football parlance far too often .....when they they lost their coach that’s a crisis .....

Give them a break please ....they had a great year ...probabaly our achieved a bit ...this year mid table,.....still with a chance

Perspective please

Back in the old days they'd get injuries because Mumbles would push them to the brink of over training. At least his squads were super fit. This side looks sluggish. Who runs the fitness department over there, Beavis and Butthead?

Still, only 1 game out of the 8 and have Carlton in the last round if it goes down to the wire in the run home.

And let's face it; we would all love to see that power stance again in September.

What I've noticed with Adelaide over the years, is it's never their coach or their players. It's always "Trigg" and now this Burton guy.
I don't really know what you're on about. We've sacked plenty of coaches in our time and we have our share of maligned players like every other side.

The Crows are rife with injuries and the guys who are supposed to be fit to play can't run games out properly. I don't think it's unreasonable for Crows fans to question what's going on in the fitness dept.

Out

Injured long term

Injured short term

Then you start dropping your head.... The truth will be in the middle of all of this i'd say, always is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back