Society/Culture Are all Doctors pot heads?

Remove this Banner Ad

mantis

Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
Away from redneck country
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
On one hand they are calling for cigarettes to be doubled in price, yet in the next breath want dope to be legal.

Let me see, smokers pay a fortune in taxes via the huge tax on ciggies.
Yet the Doctors want to make smoking dope legal which offers nothing to the health system, so who is going to pay for the health costs when dope heads need medical attention?

I perused your beloved The Age online and could not find anything about whatever it is you are talking about. You should have provided a link to whatever you are on about.

In any event, if you made dope legal, you could tax it just like cigarettes. So there goes one of your arguments.

Also, you do not have to smoke dope: you can eat it, or vaporise it. So there goes your other argument.

What a world we live in when alcohol is not only legal but advertised heavily, cigarettes are legal and available just about anywhere, but marijuana is outlawed -- and sheep like you support the law.

:(

What on earth are you talking about Mantis? Which doctors are you referring to exactly?

But, when was the last time marijuana was implicated with lung cancer or emphyzyma, heart disease, or any of the other raft of tobacco related disease? All in all I'm sure that, a) the money being spent on "dope heads" will be a lot less than tobacco smokers and b) I'm pretty sure those "dope heads" are going to need medical attention whether weed is legal or not. And did you ever stop to consider that maybe the state could tax marijuana too? Bring in even more revenue that would be more than enough to cover any extra medical attention that "dope heads" might require.

On one hand they are calling for cigarettes to be doubled in price, yet in the next breath want dope to be legal.

Yet the Doctors want to make smoking dope legal which offers nothing to the health system, so who is going to pay for the health costs when dope heads need medical attention?

Link please.

Are we talking about dope for pain relief?

What on earth are you talking about Mantis? Which doctors are you referring to exactly?

But, when was the last time marijuana was implicated with lung cancer or emphyzyma, heart disease, or any of the other raft of tobacco related disease? All in all I'm sure that, a) the money being spent on "dope heads" will be a lot less than tobacco smokers and b) I'm pretty sure those "dope heads" are going to need medical attention whether weed is legal or not. And did you ever stop to consider that maybe the state could tax marijuana too? Bring in even more revenue that would be more than enough to cover any extra medical attention that "dope heads" might require.

There isn't a link because it was on the news tonght. Doctors calling for cigarettes to be doubled in price, whlle saying smoking dope should be legalised. It has been linked to mental disease.

Link? you're just confusing the s**t out of me know. What was on TV? And, yes, tenuous links to mental illness - the best study that made those findings was published by Lancet, but even they conceded the correlation wasn't necessary a causation and that it is quite possible that mentally ill people are attracted to marijuana. I certainly don't think it is harmless, but I do think alcohol and tobacco are far more harmful. And if you legalised and taxed marijuana then you could more han off set the medical costs of treating the mental illneses in the small minority of users that it triggers psychosis in.

Yep, every single one of them. I never made that connection before and you've sold me completely.

Forget about the debate that cannabis may have medicinal properties that are worth experimenting with and legislation gets in the way of that, its really that doctors want to bong on.

I wonder if the "news" program wasn't ACA or TT. They spoke about the proposed increase on the news this morning and not one mention of anything to do with leagalizing pot.

Aha! Found it! It was TT

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=480017

The marijuana debate

* Reporter: Bryan Seymour
* Broadcast Date: December 28, 2009

Each year more than two million Australians break the law by smoking marijuana so with usage so high, is the time right to legalise cannabis?

And here is the quote that supposedly represents ALL doctors! :p

Alex Wodak from St Vincent's Hospital is renowned for his involvement with the Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation.

"I think in the long term, all current illicit drugs will become regulated," he said.

"It's only because tobacco was legal that we could push up the price, restrict the availability, slap warning stickers on the packets, all the reasons for taking the same approach with cannabis to try and reduce cannabis consumption."

One thing all agreed on was making medical marijuana, prescribed by a doctor, available to patients in need.

Sounds pretty reasonable if you ask me. People are going to smoke dope regardless of what anyone else thinks, may as well regulate the market and reduce consumption, which is esactly what happened in places like Holland and Switzerland when they decriminalised.

You know they're not the same drug, right Mantis?

You don't think that because it's illegal it'll actually cause more health problems? (Or even as many?) Surely you're not that stupid?

PS: offers nothing to the health system? You really, really need to read up on your 'medicinal benefits of marijuana'.

PPS: there is no consolidated link to many of the 'mental diseases' people like to claim there is. Schizophrenia is one.

PPPS: name me one good reason why marijuana should be illegal while tobacco and alcohol are legal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know they're not the same drug, right Mantis?

You don't think that because it's illegal it'll actually cause more health problems? (Or even as many?) Surely you're not that stupid?

PS: offers nothing to the health system? You really, really need to read up on your 'medicinal benefits of marijuana'.

PPS: there is no consolidated link to many of the 'mental diseases' people like to claim there is. Schizophrenia is one.

PPPS: name me one good reason why marijuana should be illegal while tobacco and alcohol are legal.

I doubt Mantis will grace this thread again to answer your questions. It has failed dismally.

Aha! Found it! It was TT

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=480017

And here is the quote that supposedly represents ALL doctors! :p

Sounds pretty reasonable if you ask me. People are going to smoke dope regardless of what anyone else thinks, may as well regulate the market and reduce consumption, which is esactly what happened in places like Holland and Switzerland when they decriminalised.

Sorry I'm late responding, been staying with family.

I heard it on CH10, they were mentioning it at every news break that afternoon. I just find it strange they are trying to stop people using one drug, while making another legal.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's treated with the same restrictions & taxes as tobacco, to cover any future medical costs associated with prolonged use.

Sorry I'm late responding, been staying with family.

I heard it on CH10, they were mentioning it at every news break that afternoon. I just find it strange they are trying to stop people using one drug, while making another legal.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's treated with the same restrictions & taxes as tobacco, to cover any future medical costs associated with prolonged use.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to drugs. Just look at Prof. Nutt as an example

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/11/three_more_quit_over_nutt_sacking_row/

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to drugs. Just look at Prof. Nutt as an example

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/11/three_more_quit_over_nutt_sacking_row/

That's my point. We all know that tobacco, illicit drugs & booze are bad for you, so why do they keep making tobacco legal? Because they make a shitload of taxes off it, that's the reason why there are no cheap remedies for quitting smoking, the government would go broke if everyone gave up smoking. I have a friend who wants to quit who is in her 80's, but it costs more to buy the Nicorettes etc than smoking.

How come heroin addicts only have to pay $5 for methadone? Smokers should get cheap alternatives as well.

So Mantis - are all doctors pot heads or is this just a case of another trashy TT story churned out for the gullible masses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back