Opinion Are all the players, that many have been bagging this year, as bad as suggested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Like being married. Always in the s**t, only the depth that varies. Generally I find myself at diving bell depth...

Anything that is the opposite of the agenda set by some posters is considered sycophantic...
oh, in that case it would be a "psychophant ".... that is more understandable in the situation that you describe. If you oppose someones opinions, then you are definitely not being sycophantic or servile. :D

oh, in that case it would be a "psychophant ".... that is more understandable in the situation that you describe. If you oppose someones opinions, then you are definitely not being sycophantic or servile. :D

You seem to be obsessed with the word.
I think the poster's original intended point was that "mindless supporters of the club" are regarded as sycophantic by the haters.
By the way, with regard to "Psychophant", I invented this word in an earlier post and haven't worked out what it means yet, so I'd thank you not to use it until it's been patented! ;)

No actually it's sycophantic because, in the minds of certain posters, your post would indicate that you blindly and consistently believe that the club is all-knowing, always right and administratively beyond reproach.

Hence, sycophant.

No actually it's sycophantic because, in the minds of certain posters, your post would indicate that you blindly and consistently believe that the club is all-knowing, always right and administratively beyond reproach.

Hence, sycophant.
oh, so like supportive of the club and non supportive of the knockers...hence the opinion category... having said that, it is how one reads meaning from what is written.

It’s not just the AFC that’s s**t. The AFL in general is an absolute dogs breakfast and the “product” served up now is worse than ever across the board.

Players across the league are fitter than ever before with worse skills and less investment in the game itself (as opposed to their profile) than ever before.

Every day we stray closer to a Wrestling style product with heroes, villains and fake outrage/scandal.

I mean FFS at the moment we have a bad guy playing for Geelong because he “liked” and then “unliked” a post. I don’t agree with homophobia or religious preaching at all but is this seriously f*cking newsworthy?

So no, the AFC players are no more or less s**t than their counterparts and in many ways they are victims of the system they play in.

Well, everyone except Josh Jenkins. He’s dog s**t.

Player abuse is not on, but what I find hypocritical are players criticised for poor performances by the media, in all its forms, who bag their critics as having no idea. These same players then go on to put in harder and raise their performance as a result, proving that the critics were right.
Unfortunately this improvement is often temporary eg Jenkins, Atkins, Mackay, with a return to previous mediocre form until the next jolt.

There's a difference between being bad, and playing bad.

Is Tom Lynch "as bad" as we're saying? Probably not. Is he playing as bad as we're saying? Yeah. His first quarter on Sunday was probably the best quarter of footy anyone named Tom Lynch has played for Gold Coast.

The problem with having a team with the talent to reach a Grand Final is you get judged against your best. Very few of our players are playing anywhere near their best, and many are a loooong way off. Let's not get too excited just yet because we've beaten Sydney and Gold Coast. Most of the positives mentioned in the OP are from the Gold Coast game which was virtually a training drill after half time. I wouldn't be basing too many opinions on how good everyone looked in a 10 goal pounding of the team that was 12 seconds away from losing to Carlton at home.

The criticisms will probably let up a bit when those exciting plays we saw against the Witches Hats start happening against decent teams that can apply pressure all game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rest my case...did you see him play on the weekend? Was he s**t?

Haven't we been through this dance long enough to know how this story ends?

Mackay will play a good game, reminding us that s**t, he did have the tools to be a genuinely elite midfielder. He may even play 2-4 good games seeing contracts years seem to coincide with good form and that. We'll resign him, and he'll immediately turn to s**t again.

It's been the story of his career. Most likely you cannot fault him as a person, but his football career could be nicely describe as wasted potential.

It’s not just the AFC that’s s**t. The AFL in general is an absolute dogs breakfast and the “product” served up now is worse than ever across the board.

Players across the league are fitter than ever before with worse skills and less investment in the game itself (as opposed to their profile) than ever before.

Every day we stray closer to a Wrestling style product with heroes, villains and fake outrage/scandal.

I mean FFS at the moment we have a bad guy playing for Geelong because he “liked” and then “unliked” a post. I don’t agree with homophobia or religious preaching at all but is this seriously f*cking newsworthy?

So no, the AFC players are no more or less s**t than their counterparts and in many ways they are victims of the system they play in.

Well, everyone except Josh Jenkins. He’s dog s**t.

Actually, I disagree the skills are most likely so much more advanced then what they were 20 years ago. The difference between now and then is the counterbalance that the added fitness brings would balance out any advancement on skills and then some. There is much more payoff being defensively good then offensively good.

Pressure, and defensive structures will stifle skills, because of the degree of difficulty of achieving them under no pressure is already quite high, and reducing time, adding more traffic will make it even more difficult. This game has always been much more reliable on defense, and will probably never revert without going for netball like zones.

Yes. You're going to get socially pressured if you decide to be a dick, or support someone being an absolute dickhead? it happens everywhere. To get rid of those behaviours you have to make it as socially frowned upon as possible, to the point that even supporting someone else doing it means you get in s**t, so it is rather newsworthy.

the 2 key words I feel

I agree

ie I know you didnt directly compare Fyfe and CEY but some will read it that way.

Indeed...definitiely not in the same class.. He is a genuine ruck rover though with his height.

The only two I will put my hand up for consistently bagging is JJ and Atkins. I'm an old bloke and I still hold onto old football ideas and instincts. When I see a player shirking a contest it triggers something lizard like in my brain. I understand JJs background but even basketballers have some body contact. Atkins, again he may have a role to play but number 1 for me is tackling . He had 5 tackles on the weekend and if he continues those numbers then I shall leave him be

Atkins only had one tackle today, but seemed to put in an effort again today :)

JJ is such a big 105kg 200cm lump that he can genuinely impact contests and packs. That he hasnt done that this year concerns me

I agree

Of the rest I just think our list management on a couple has missed the boat. ie Lynch I felt could have gained some trade value instead of renewing a contract.

I still think that Lynch can be a good asset for us yet... It seems that his headset improved a bit this week.

CEY , some have said he is best 22. I dont see it but I am happy for him to continue and prove me wrong as long as he can. For mine CEY is another list decision I struggle with. 6-7 years on the list is too long for a just making it ''best 22 '' player

He has had injuries and perhaps a bit slower performer than many, but I am still a fan of his.

David Mackay - I defended David at times and I do think the criticism of him is harsh at times. My eyes have been opened to the shenanigans that seemingly go on on Davids behalf. Selection after being injured and no lead up game time? Ehhh he has a Patron , thats obvious

He is not an absolute gun every week...but not the worst player on the ground.

I started a thread saying it may have been the end of an era. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong, and to eat humble pie.

Still a long way to go though, but to beat an in-form team (albeit with one mid-game major injury) is a good step in the right direction.

As has been said before "you're never as good as people say and you are never as bad as people say". The last two games have shown a marked improvement and give a lot of us supporters hope that we will make finals and indeed hope of being competitive.

I've been critical of Walker the last couple of years. If he can turn it around and play like he did against GC the majority of the time, I'll print out my negative posts and eat them.
Think you may need to YouTube it as proof.

I'll just post the photos. Six weeks' time. If he's still playing well. I'll tuck in. Remind me.
looks like you were correct with your opinion of Tex... I was worried that he would get suspended last week against Melbourne after the soft incident, but he was surprisingly sedate. I hope that he improves for the rest of the year, because he can make a difference.

I'm still sticking with no they arent as an answer to the OP. It was more the plan than the players. That said, a player or two was down on form as well. Seems like we've found a couple in the meantime too which is good.

Another theme that's emerged similar to the OP is concern with some of our drafted players and whether they'll make it. Likely those calls are waaaaayyyyyy to premature.

Anyway, on the subject of the draft and because its bye round and you can all waste some time looking at this, here's our draft pick numbers from 2005 to 2018. You can see some coach based approaches, such as craig always wanted a lot of picks used by the looks, plus he never traded which helps. Surprisingly our first two draft picks have always typically been about the same value, though if you always finish mid ladder that's to be expected I spose. I can't be stuffed converting them to points but if someone else can I'd like to see how theyd go. I thought we might have started cashing in a bit from trading our rookies (cameron, mcgovern) etc and last year shows that a bit and this year should too (well, duurrr).

See if you can work out who was picked with all the picks, or at least the first two to three each year, that shouldnt be that hard.

year picks
05 16,17,32,48
06 14,32,48,64,78
07 10,27,30,38,58
08 10,28,44,60,72
09 13,29,45,61
10 14,61
11 27,41,46,64
12 62,81
13 23,46
14 14,35,43,59
15 11,17