Are Birds of Tokyo underrated/overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Their first two albums were pretty solid, but they were always pretty vanilla and teetering on the edge of cringey until going full-scale radio rock.

They had some pretty memorable choruses on Universes though.

Definitely overrated though.

Their first two albums were pretty solid, but they were always pretty vanilla and teetering on the edge of cringey until going full-scale radio rock.

They had some pretty memorable choruses on Universes though.

Definitely overrated though.

Agree. Was really into them during Day One and Universes.

By the time the self titled album and songs such as Plans and Wild at Heart came out, I started to realise they were basically a pop band and had lost any kind of edge that I liked.

I still hear snippets of hooks or melodies in some of their songs that pricks my ears up, but I find them so ho hum and safe now that I have no interest.

Still love Wayside and Broken Bones though.

Had some good stuff early on, but "Plans" was vomit inducing so I stopped listening to them. Gyroscope followed a similar trajectory as well, although I think Birds of Tokyo's music was much worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some good stuff early on, but "Plans" was vomit inducing so I stopped listening to them. Gyroscope followed a similar trajectory as well, although I think Birds of Tokyo's music was much worse.
Gyroscope has gone back to their heavy days, even heavier imo. Hoping they bring out another album soon.

Listen to peak Birds albums like Universes and Day One

Really, really, really ******* good rock albums

If you only know BOT for Plans and Lanterns you only have yourself to blame for being a radio whore too lazy to properly know a band

End Of Fashion were better in hindsight,

To me that is arguably their worst single. Had some slightly better singles on that album, and their 2008 album was much better ("Fussy" by far their best single).

They had their place for a while, more effectively than the likes of a Kisschasy, but were never particularly good to begin with.

Last edited:
BOT are about rated right, nothing too remarkable but tolerable for what they were. It was a soft era for Australian bands, as Tame & Gizzard were still fairly putative and a lot of the 2007-08 acts like Cut Copy never quite managed to seize the early 10s conversation. Others like Eskimo Joe, Silverchair, Powderfinger etc. were all basically done. Drones & Bad Seeds had long album gaps. Stuff like Temper Trap & Boy & Bear sort of epitomised that time, mostly indie landfill, like overseas.

Little Lion Man winning that Triple JJJ Hottest 100 in January 2010 was effectively a "look away now for a few years moment". By 2013 things picked up again a little. BoT provided some interim service.

Last edited:
Saw them for the first time at the HiFi in 2008 and they were awesome. A mate took me so I didn't know them and I got right in to them and Karnivool around this point.

Around 2010 went to see them again and this was just before the self titled album was released and they played a bunch of new tracks and my mate and I were both "wtf..." ... haven't listened to them all that much since then, nor seen them live aside from when they're playing with some other band or a festival.

Karnivool on the other hand, love 'em.

In all honesty Birds of Tokyo would struggle to make my top 5 favourite Perth bands of the last 20 years.

My top 5 would be

1. The Panics
2. The Sleepy Jackson
3. Gyroscope
4. Little Birdy
5. End of Fashion/Birds of Tokyo

I know a lot of people will say "What about Tame Impala?" and they look good amongst the current Perth bands but they are no Gyroscope.

People forget how good Gyroscope were.

Are You Involved was a classic 2000s rock album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back