Are Brisbane irrelvant in Queensland. A lions supporter says they are..

papabear

All Australian
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Since when do adults play Auskick?

Oztag and Touch are different sports to League. And adults play them as well.

Auskick is more inline with mini and mod footy as its only for kids.
maybe auskick isnt a viable product to adults as the tag and tackle versions of the game satisfy demand.

Again mini and mod are just the amended rules for kids.

I thought kids played normal afl but could also play auskick on the side?

Is a sport different because it is run by a different governing body?? I thought it was based on the sport itself.

Ie if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck

then guess what....

it is a duck.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
maybe auskick isnt a viable product to adults as the tag and tackle versions of the game satisfy demand.

Again mini and mod are just the amended rules for kids.

I thought kids played normal afl but could also play auskick on the side?

Is a sport different because it is run by a different governing body?? I thought it was based on the sport itself.

Ie if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck

then guess what....

it is a duck.

Min and mod yep is for kids. As is auskick.

Besides passing backwards what does touch have to do with league?
In that argument you basically calling all rugbys, oztag and touch the same game.
Hell aussie rules share some cricket terms so lets count cricket participants.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Besides passing backwards what does touch have to do with league?

You mean like, rolling the ball between the legs, a dummy half, onside, offside, intercepts etc. etc.

Everything I've read about touch links back to the South Sydney RL Club. The game is the mirror image of RL without the tackling.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
The scrums, the numbers, the kicking?

And? You asked what Touch had in relation to RL besides passing backwards so I gave you some. Even as a young boy back in NZ we used touch as part of our training. Not having a scrum and handing the ball back was common when you dropped it. Surely with your RL background it shouldn't be too hard to accept where the game got its origins.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And? You asked what Touch had in relation to RL besides passing backwards so I gave you some. Even as a young boy back in NZ we used touch as part of our training. Not having a scrum and handing the ball back was common when you dropped it. Surely with your RL background it shouldn't be too hard to accept where the game got its origins.
So are you going to include union in the numbers as well?
You know origins and all

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
So are you going to include union in the numbers as well?
You know origins and all

I couldn't give a * about numbers. It's all a bullshit chest beating exercise. As I said earlier, everything I've read about the history of touch leads back to two men from the SSRL club. If you have anything which counters this then feel free to post it.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I couldn't give a **** about numbers. It's all a bullshit chest beating exercise. As I said earlier, everything I've read about the history of touch leads back to two men from the SSRL club. If you have anything which counters this then feel free to post it.
I couldnt care less how its started.
I was replying to someone else who said that touch is the same as Auskick.
This is blatently wrong.
If you want to beat your league chest some more qoute someone else.
I will be dancing the mumbo when the NRL dies (a guy can dream).

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I couldnt care less how its started.
I was replying to someone else who said that touch is the same as Auskick.
This is blatently wrong.
If you want to beat your league chest some more qoute someone else.
I will be dancing the mumbo when the NRL dies (a guy can dream).

If you don't want your questions answered then maybe don't ask them.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
You mean like, rolling the ball between the legs, a dummy half, onside, offside, intercepts etc. etc.

Everything I've read about touch links back to the South Sydney RL Club. The game is the mirror image of RL without the tackling.

The historical link is true, but until last year thats literally all it was.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
If i wanted bias league nrl bull id go to rleague world, or is the big one league unlimited now?

What bias? I merely answered your question in an honest manner.

The historical link is true, but until last year thats literally all it was.

For me Touch will always link back to RL given the similarities between the two sports and from my own experiences on how the game evolved back in NZ, and of course, playing it.

papabear

All Australian
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
There's not much point continuing any further. If u can't see the similarities between touch and auskick. Goodluck to u.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Riiiiight.
You involved yourself in another convo and picked one post.
Interesting you didnt hammer pappa for his "chest beating" as well considering he was on the nrl side.

When I said I couldn't give a * about the participation numbers it wasn't aimed just at you. I've posted before on the issue. For me participation numbers are easy manipulated by different sports. An example would be say my son doing Auskick, playing for his local club, and then playing for his school. He'd be counted 3 times as a participant. Same would happen in other sports which have varying levels of participation.

Alas that wasn't my point and we really could've ended this earlier with a simple fair point AM. :)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
When I said I couldn't give a **** about the participation numbers it wasn't aimed just at you. I've posted before on the issue. For me participation numbers are easy manipulated by different sports. An example would be say my son doing Auskick, playing for his local club, and then playing for his school. He'd be counted 3 times as a participant. Same would happen in other sports which have varying levels of participation.

Alas that wasn't my point and we really could've ended this earlier with a simple fair point AM. :)

Fair enough.

Fair point

Just have an unnatural hatred of the nrl now.
At least im honest

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wookies main points are right.

The link between participation and viewing is overrated/non existant. There are more examples Ping Pong, BBall and NBL, pool / billiards , lawn bowls etc.

People watch tv because they enjoy the show, not because they play the sport... obviously there are a lot of people who both enjoy the sport and the show but they are separate things. Look at the soccer world cup, heaps of people watch it regardless of whether they play soccer or not, they enjoy the show and the nationalistic pride/failure they don't go watch a league because they don't enjoy that show.

As for rugby league merging with touch to increase participation numbers despite having very good viewership numbers. That was a business case copied from the AFL who created a non contact version to artificially increase player numbers and obtain government grants. League just copied the business practice.

Oddly enough I am pretty sure touch (again essentially rugby league) is considered union in England. Odd that, considering how difficult most union people find rugby league and rugby league concepts.

As for the Brisbane lions, I think once a second Brisbane / another se qld team is created in rugby league it will further nail in the coffin of union, but the lions will continue what they have always done and that is give another option / operate for a niche, obviously the other option is more enticing when they are winning. Anyways its qld viewers for the afl they provide that and I am sure that more then covers any loan costs otherwise the afl wouldn't do it.
The link between participation and watching is weak
There are school kids playing soccer in Melbourne who would sooner play Australian football but can't at that school.
There are school kids playing Australian football in Sydney who would sooner play Rugby League, again can't at that school.
The only numbers that matter in my opinion are registered players.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The link between participation and watching is weak
There are school kids playing soccer in Melbourne who would sooner play Australian football but can't at that school.
There are school kids playing Australian football in Sydney who would sooner play Rugby League, again can't at that school.
The only numbers that matter in my opinion are registered players.

I have friends in Brisbane whose kids were forced to play Union in their school, even though they wanted to play Aussie rules at a local club. If a sport isnt available, thats one thing, but to force then to represent the school, or leave, is pretty ugly.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
i was a broncos member in the 90's and followed AFL on a casual basis, and had never been to a game. during the lions rise up the ladder pre the 3 peat i decided to go to a game out of curiosity i was hooked virtually straight away. it was right what some people had told me ie. aussie rules is a great spectacle live at the ground. the following season it was a choice between broncos and lions membership, the lions won out and this was right when the broncos were at their peak ie. premiers 97, 98 and 2000. in my first year as a member my 15 year old son was a member as well, a decade after that the 2 of us plus his 2 kids were members. from 2016 there will be 7 11 game members from our family, 4 adults + 3 kids. the 2 boys are registered players.
the not rusted on supporters of sport in qld are bandwagon jumpers, (i know quite a few of them) which is fine a few like me might be converted. when the lions rise from this period of bottom 4 finishes membership and crowds will increase significantly. when that happens, as long as they don't fall as far and as for as long again crowds and membership will not fall as much as in this cycle. with the off field changes made in the last few years with the addition of swan, schwab, matthews, lambert, austin and a new training and administration base coming i am confident this will happen. i think the go home 5 was the recession that we had to have. it gave us the shock therapy that was needed to shake us up on and off field.
the addition of qld talent through the academy is growing and this will only help, jonathan freeman, liam dawson, reuben william, ben keays, eric hipwood and almost certainly jacob allison and jack rolls next year plus recent qld recruits dayne beams and tom bell is fantastic for the future of the game. queenslanders are in general very parochial and will support there own v the southern interlopers you only have to look at the s.o.o. to confirm that.

the lions roar will return.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
i was a broncos
the addition of qld talent through the academy is growing and this will only help, jonathan freeman, liam dawson, reuben william, ben keays, eric hipwood and almost certainly jacob allison and jack rolls next year plus recent qld recruits dayne beams and tom bell is fantastic for the future of the game. queenslanders are in general very parochial and will support there own v the southern interlopers you only have to look at the s.o.o. to confirm that.

the lions roar will return.

Interlopers? Who?

The Darkman

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
In 2012 I returned to Brisbane after living in Sydney & Canberra for 10 years. What amazed me was the lack of publicity the Lions receive in Brisbane. There just appeared to be a lack of 'presence' by the club. In Sydney, it was Swans advertised everywhere despite being a rugby league town.

A mate of mine (Geelong supporter born in 1964 whom I bet would never see a premiership in his lifetime) & I often trundle off to a game & just want to sit in the cheap seats. Unfortunately, the only seats available are $50+. Instead we wander off to the Pineapple Hotel & watch the game on the screen only to see the seats we could have purchased empty. The Lions management were just trying to cherry pick the audience when they should welcoming all supporters.

I don't think the Lions are irrelevant but they seemed to be out of touch with AFL fans in Brisbane. They still average 18.8k per home game coming second last compared to the NRL runners up averaging 33.6k per game in a rugby league dominated city.

Back