Are clubs taking back the power in contract negotiations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I started following football in '97 and have watched some pretty odd player movement trends since then. In my opinion player movement is a good thing, it helps clubs strategize and improve, it's helped professional athletes create more wealth for their efforts. But it's also seen the end to loyalty, something that was still around in the 90s. You often hear such phrases as 'contracts don't mean much' or 'Player X should find a way to Club Y'. You also hear that 'The PSD threat is bs, and luke ball was the exception, not the rule' all of which I agree with, in this current player movement landscape.

However, last year when Geelong didn't trade a contracted Tim Kelly who requested to go home for family reasons, instead holding him to the final year of his contract. And this year seeing Gold Coast not trade an uncontracted Martin to Carlton as they felt unsatisfied by it's return, are we seeing the stary a new trend in which clubs are saying enough is enough, and putting their foot down?

Is this a blip on the radar or something more? Do players and managers have too much power? Is letting a player walk for the greater good of the competition?

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

No players don't have too much power, it's just that most of the time clubs realise that they're better off to snare slight unders than hold firm. Or the player is replaceable.

It's been shown that when clubs are well apart (Daniher with Essendon wanting a player, Gibbs), clubs will hold firm.

No, they are not taking the back the power.

It will be balanced, when clubs have the ability for force trade existing contracts for their remaining years left on the contract.
Or just hold the player to the contract?

The potential for one party to the contract (be it the club or the player) to want to get out of it mid term, but be unable to, is just the risk of entering into a fixed term contract in the first place.

After the Chad Wingard and Lachie Neale trades last year, that sort of started a trend.

Both came from the 2011 drafts and had debut games in 2012. Both also would of been free agents in 2019 if they both didnt get traded and stayed in thier clubs for one more year.

Hawks paid overs for Wingard. Brisbane paid overs for Neale.

I will say this. Neale and pick 30 for picks 6, 19 and 55 was a good deal for freo.

Had Neale been a free agent a year later, freo would of got a compo pick of pick 7 or 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back