Are Collingwood going to cop some scrutiny if they lose to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
I think it's warranted considering the media love to bring out the "who have they beaten out of the top 9" narrative for various clubs.

COLLINGWOOD:

Richmond L x2
West Coast L
GWS L
Hawthorn L
Sydney L
Melbourne W
Geelong L

And the remarkable thing is if they do lose to Port, they will actually enter into the finals not beating a fellow finalist as Geelong WILL replace Melbourne.

Yes, Collingwood have been a lovely story this year but I think a few question need to be asked of their credentials if they go into the finals with a 0-8 record against fellow finalists.

Maybe?

Collingwood are being held together with prayers and sticky-tape right now. Fair to say that if they had access to most of their list like Richmond and West Coast do, they'd be flying.

If they can sneak into the 4 and get a few players back they'll be the dark horse of the finals for sure.

images

I think Melbourne will cop more scrutiny if they fail to make finals. Weren't they a shoe in for top four at the beginning of the year? Conversely, we were not even expected to make finals.

The whole 'haven't beaten a top 8 side' argument isn't quite as strong as it used to be in my opinion. At least not in a season where it feels like on any given day that there is nothing separating the sides from 2nd to 12th.

Yeah just look at west coast. Hardly lost to a top 8 side but can't be distinguished from 12th

Already exceeded expectations and just keep fronting up and getting the job done when their situation has many thinking they should be just about cooked.

I don’t think they could do anything for the rest of the season that would make this year anything other than a roaring success.

I expect them to finish 4th and probably go out in straight sets, but even that shouldn’t be too disappointing for them as it gives them experience playing two finals this year and should be a good launching pad for next year if they can get some quality cattle back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given port have quite a few quality outs themselves I think rightly we’d cop some grief losing to all other finalists. However the year would still be seen as a positive and performance in finals will be how we measure things against the top sides. I’d be disappointed if we lost abd then get booted out of finals without firing a shot, just feels like we been better than that this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seriously, do we need a new thread dedicated to the Collingwood match each week, at what will be the perception or impact if we lose?

I reckon there's been a thread each week for the past six weeks.

Guess what, in every game, one team wins and another team loses, unless of course there is a draw.

We've done enough to secure our finals berth regardless of whether we win both, one or none of our remaining games. Once we're there, we'll see what happens...

Last edited:
The concept that your wins mean more in the H&A season if they are against better sides is ridiculous. You only need to beat the finalists in the finals.

The problem arises when you are dropping games against the teams you should beat, because it means that you have to beat the best sides just to qualify. This doesn't apply to us. If we had won some of our games against the other top sides we'd be top of the ladder, which nobody expected anyway.

We have beaten all the sides we should be beating, despite having one of the worst single season injury records in living memory, in a season where most had us pegged for a bottom four finish. We have been brilliant this season, regardless of this weekend's result. That said, I think we'll win this weekend, funnily enough against another side that could easily miss the finals.

No - injuries, in case you have not heard. Has not been mentioned on Pies board or in the media. ...

A lot like Richmond supporters mentioning How great Richmond are on every single topic on this board especially when the topic has nothing to do with Richmond what so ever. At the end of the day Collingwood have had the biggest injury list in the competition and with how they have performed under so much adversity has been remarkable

I think it's warranted considering the media love to bring out the "who have they beaten out of the top 9" narrative for various clubs.

COLLINGWOOD:

Richmond L x2
West Coast L
GWS L
Hawthorn L
Sydney L
Melbourne W
Geelong L

And the remarkable thing is if they do lose to Port, they will actually enter into the finals not beating a fellow finalist as Geelong WILL replace Melbourne.

Yes, Collingwood have been a lovely story this year but I think a few question need to be asked of their credentials if they go into the finals with a 0-8 record against fellow finalists.

Your not Paul from Glen Waverley by any chance? Said the same thing on SEN plus we only beat Melbourne because Lever went down the week before.

Even if we beat Port there is a good chance they miss so we still won't have beaten a top 8 side. At the end of the day we didn't have the same expectations as Melbourne did going into the season. Also the mass beatings of the bottom sides has heaped a bit more expectation when you have faced the other topsides. And you have had a softer draw than us when you put up the win/loss comparison.

COLLINGWOOD:

Richmond L x2
West Coast L
GWS L
Hawthorn L
Sydney L
Melbourne W
Geelong L

Nice deflection from Melbourne bro.

We've beaten the best team to ever miss the top 8 in Essendon (twice) and beat Adelaide early in the season at AO after they had touched up Richmond the week before.

Then again, Richmond hadn't beaten anyone this time last year either.

No - injuries, in case you have not heard. Has not been mentioned on Pies board or in the media. ...
Why is it mostly Richmond fans who are salty about this? Genuine question

Just a guess, but I think the media could mention the pie have injuries and use that to excuse...Well, anything and everything really, while using it to pump up their chances for next year (when they'll find another excuse).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back