Are elections at footy clubs too divisive ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I see the Blues are trying for a behind the scenes transition of power, some suggesting an election is too divisive - is that fair to those club members who want a say?

See the Fairfax press article:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/presidential-blue-brewing-20120917-262l9.html
It is understood president Stephen Kernahan is keen to oversee a succession plan and avoid what is looming as a divisive power struggle but remain at the helm for at least one more season.

As an Eagles fan my club is regularly on the receiving end of club fans who claim we are not a footy club because we dont have elections. Question for those types, how long since your club had a fair dinkum election or is it just a formality passing the power from one group of vested interests to another.

All clubs must have an AGM where required under its articles of association - including Carlton. Kernahan has said before he puts his name in the ring, if the members vote him he stays, if not he goes.

Elections vary depending on the constitution of that Association. Club members typically nominate or vote for whatever vacancies are up as they arise, and the only times thats not the case is where the directors are appointed by the AFL/SANFL/WAFC.

All clubs must have an AGM where required under its articles of association - including Carlton. Kernahan has said before he puts his name in the ring, if the members vote him he stays, if not he goes.

Elections vary depending on the constitution of that Association. Club members typically nominate or vote for whatever vacancies are up as they arise, and the only times thats not the case is where the directors are appointed by the AFL/SANFL/WAFC.

Is it unfair to characterise your comments Wookie, as supportive of the transfer of board control from one group of vested interests to another?
The Pies did it with Eddie taking over from Kevin Rose, Melbourne do it regularly, North /JB do it with a not so compliant opposition ...

Is it unfair to characterise your comments Wookie, as supportive of the transfer of board control from one group of vested interests to another?
The Pies did it with Eddie taking over from Kevin Rose, Melbourne do it regularly, North /JB do it with a not so compliant opposition ...

As long as the members vote in the majority to support the move, then I dont care. If the members dont get a say, then I have concerns.

Hawthorn have elections; I think the last hotly contested one was the one that elected Jeff Kennett.

Mature sporting organisations should be strong enough to have frank exchanges of view from time to time.

Hawthorn have elections; I think the last hotly contested one was the one that elected Jeff Kennett.

Mature sporting organisations should be strong enough to have frank exchanges of view from time to time.

Remind me, who did Jeff beat? Didnt roll Dicker did he?

Remind me, who did Jeff beat? Didnt roll Dicker did he?

Good question. They didn't contest; Dicker had stepped down and Kennett ran against someone else. Buggered if I can find out who though.

Good question. They didn't contest; Dicker had stepped down and Kennett ran against someone else. Buggered if I can find out who though.

In your immediate past, Geoff Lord withdrew resulting in no election.

The only election action I remember has been at North, otherwise the members have been stitched up behind closed doors for a long, long time.

In your immediate past, Geoff Lord withdrew resulting in no election.

The only election action I remember has been at North, otherwise the members have been stitched up behind closed doors for a long, long time.

Correct, I'm thinking to the one before that. Lord running at all was divisive given it was clear he had little support amongst the members and his candidature would have cost the club tens of thousands in order to get a result everyone could see coming.

The problem I have with club elections is that the club members for the most part don't know one nominee from another. Unless a former club hero (like Stynes, Kernahan etc) or public figure (like Kennett, McGuire, Brayshaw etc) nominates who knows whether any of them are any good or not? There is generally minimal information available about their platform's which is why I generally don't bother voting.

The problem I have with club elections is that the club members for the most part don't know one nominee from another. Unless a former club hero (like Stynes, Kernahan etc) or public figure (like Kennett, McGuire, Brayshaw etc) nominates who knows whether any of them are any good or not? There is generally minimal information available about their platform's which is why I generally don't bother voting.
It's a good point. Some clubs ask candidates before elections to provide info on their background and why they're standing. Also, they have a meet-the-candidate night where they can be questioned. Problem is very few active members turn-up.

It's a good point. Some clubs ask candidates before elections to provide info on their background and why they're standing. Also, they have a meet-the-candidate night where they can be questioned. Problem is very few active members turn-up.

Surely in this day and age there's a more effective way to get this info to members, whether that be by mail out, email, video's/articles on the club website, live chats/video chats/Q&A on the club website etc. The only problem is that these mediums are likely to be dominated by the incumbents unless they are forced (by their own constitutions, the members or the AFL) to provide a platform for all candidates to get a message to the members and the members generall have some idea already of the incumbents. It is the challenging nominees who are unknown.

Too lazy to find out about the candidates, you reap what you sow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too lazy to find out about the candidates, you reap what you sow.

It's not like there's an abundance of material available on each candidate and what is available is generally a bit of history on their business credentials/involvement with the club. Rarely do they outline a platform or holistic plan they want to implement for the club. Hell it's hard enough getting decent info on local council candidates let alone footy club candidates and most people have little time to waste researching these people.

Providing some easily accessible information to members isn't really asking too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back