Are Essendon the new Richmond?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by MaddAdam, Sep 10, 2017.

1. MaddAdam

MaddAdam Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Jun 8, 2011
    In the not so distant future
    Richmond finally shook their finals choker tag on Friday night.

Have Essendon now taken that unwelcome title?

Just like pre Friday night Richmond, the Bombers have lost their last three finals appearances, all of the Elimination Finals.

And just as key Richmond players like Trent Cotchin came under heavy scrutiny for poor September efforts, yesterday afternoon again saw Essendon leaders like Watson and Heppell go missing.

What can the Bombers do to regain their September mojo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Captain_Bender

Captain_Bender Debutant

Richmond
    May 21, 2015
    Actually they have lost their last four finals appearances and got flogged in most of them they are worse than Richmond was in finals

3. King Brown

King Brown Team Captain

Essendon
    Aug 12, 2017
    Richmond haven't been Richmond for a while. Richmond were known for missing finals, either by coming painfully close and just missing, or having a diabolical year where they get spanked every other game.

From 2013 onwards they have made finals with reasonable regularity. Just hadn't yet won one.

No, getting annihilated in finals is more a North thing.

4. harrythetiger

harrythetiger Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Straya
    Sep 13, 2015
    Kardinia Park
    Only difference is they've lost 4 spread out over a decade, so it probably has less of a toll on the players than our 3 straight. Plus in two of them we were in winning positions, they've been smashed in 3 of them.

5. MaddAdam

North Melbourne
    Jun 8, 2011
    Let's not let this sink into the mire of drug stuff.

For mine it is about their onfield leadership.

Cotchin showed on Friday those hoodoos can be broken.

Watson obviously leaves the game with an abominable finals record.

Who will stand up for Essendon next time?

Daniher and Merrett the most likely for mine.

I don't think Heppell has the game to make an impact when the pressure goes up a notch.

perplexed and Half Forward like this.
  6. MaddAdam

North Melbourne
    Jun 8, 2011
    They were six goals up against us early in the third quarter and looking set to cruise away with it.

PetterdHoisted and harrythetiger like this.
  7. harrythetiger

harrythetiger Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Straya
    Sep 13, 2015
    Kardinia Park
    That was the one choke I reckon they had. Do it again in the near future and questions might need to be asked.

8. La Vache

La Vache Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    flyers, suns
    Aug 4, 2005
    Melb
    Watson retires as an all-time finals underachiever. Very few players have displayed a bigger gap between their h&a performances and those when it matters. An utter failure from their leader at this time of year they are better off moving forward with a clean slate now. The talent is clearly there IMO.

9. Scotland

Scotland Hall of Famer

West Coast
    May 5, 2006
    Last finals victory in 2004. Even Melbourne have won a final more recently. Longest drought of any team excl. Gold Coast who've only been going since 2011 anyway.

No finals victory coached by anyone other than Kevin Sheedy since 1968.

Three of the last four finals losses have been smashings. Jungle drums will be beating.

10. fnerd

fnerd All Australian

Fremantle
    Aug 23, 2009
    perth
    That stat they rolled out yesterday where they havent won a final since 1968 without sheedy in charge ,nearly 50 years...is, dare i say it unprecedented .

Granted he was there nearly 30 ,still you d think they d like to change it sooner rather than later.

gaelictiogar, tigs2010 and Occidental like this.
  11. ClokesShankedIt

ClokesShankedIt Club Legend

Collingwood
    Jul 5, 2011
    Near the point post
    If it wasn't for his ridiculous hair I wouldn't have known Heppell was playing aside from the odd shanked kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. ClokesShankedIt

ClokesShankedIt Club Legend

Collingwood
    Jul 5, 2011
    Near the point post
    What do you expect from a bloke who has never really done all that much except for the year he was juicing?

13. Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Sep 22, 2011
    Your girlfriend's dreams
    I must say, expected better than this from OP.

14. Jaeger

Jaeger Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Box Hill, Man City, WADA
    Dec 16, 2008
    Melbourne
    You have to question the talent, leadership, mental toughness and perhaps an even deeper look into their football program, recruiting and culture.

I don't know what Essendon stands for. Perhaps with the amount of positive spin that comes out of the club they are content with where they are at and winning finals isn't so much of a motivator as making everyone feel good about themselves (both players and members).

I think as long as they have a strong membership and matchday attendances the administration is satisfied.
    As for their players, so many of them are continuously told how good they are and shown love by the supporters, perhaps that's enough for them.

I heard Woosha yesterday mention how the loss shouldn't wash over their wins in round 1 and on Anzac day.
    If we got humiliated in a knockout final and Clarko brought up two early home and away wins (against bottom 10 teams) I would be livid. They clearly over-celebrate regular season victories and gloss over the defeats.

15. The Prosecutor

The Prosecutor Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Sep 13, 2011
    Daniher has performed in both of his finals so I agree he shown repeatedly during the season as well he is a big game player.

Heppell was BOG for us in the 2014 final when it was close, so I don't think your comment has any basis.

16. Captain_Bender

Captain_Bender Debutant

Richmond
    May 21, 2015
    If it wasn't for Kevin Sheedy, Essendon probably would have went the way of Fitzroy ages ago

iluvparis likes this.
  17. Occidental

Occidental Senior List

Collingwood
    Oct 2, 2016
    Since 04/09/2004, there has been a total of 120 Finals played.

Essendon have won 0 of them.

18. Scotland

Scotland Hall of Famer

West Coast
    May 5, 2006
    Didn't see this, this is really poor.

So they beat two teams that finished 12th and 13th. Errr, great?

19. Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Sep 22, 2011
    Your girlfriend's dreams
    The club released a detailed strategic plan at the end of 2015, one of the major goals of which was to be top 4 by 2018.

Obviously 2016 put a major dent in that but it's still the aim.

Yesterday we was disappointing, but our 7th place this year overall made it a successful one.

Next year is a huge test. This year was just something of a relief and actually went a lot better than many of us expected.

In terms of players we're in something of a transition phase with the 30+ veterans on the way out. We already have three retirees this season.

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Club Legend

Adelaide
    Feb 3, 2015
    One swallow does not make a summer. Or however that saying goes.

Great win against Geelong, now for level 2. Two weeks of building anticipation to face GWS or WCE.

That's said, Richmond would likely start favourites against either one.

21. cannot

cannot Premiership Player

Richmond
    Nov 30, 2016
    ^^ ""Flat World Champions".
    rance cotchin jack martin are still in a good age range the list is fairly young

so theres more to go but the signs are finally looking less bad

Captain Morgan likes this.
  22. Ian Dunross

Ian Dunross Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    Mar 18, 2013
    Who are your inside mids in 2018?

Heppell should improve with another pre-season.

Merrett is a gun, but not so much an extractor (will stand corrected).

Myers? Francis?

Half Forward and cannot like this.
  23. telsor

telsor Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Habs
    Aug 29, 2004
    Here
    They played badly, but it's hardly a choke to lose to the overwhelming favorites.

24. fnerd

fnerd All Australian

Fremantle
    Aug 23, 2009
    perth
    I think its kinda reflected in the way they deal with other clubs at the trade table too....(carlton very similar) in that they seem to put an unreasonable high value on their players when looking to trade them out or if a player wants out .
    They genuinely seem to rate (or in quite a few cases overate) their players trade worth badly and hence have ended up with a poor reputation at trade time . Still seems to be vey much of the old 'superior' vfl mentality prevalent in the club

Grin likes this.
  25. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Club Legend

Adelaide
    Feb 3, 2015
    Definanetly on the way up!