Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by FAT T0NY, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cadillac

Cadillac Premium Gold

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    USC Trojans
    Mar 25, 2016
    It's been reported that he's on the verge of signing a new three year contract. Do you agree that it's the right decision by the footy club?

Obviously he has a premiership to his name. But it was won on the back of a list build from Bomber, and a few Geelong legends who had already won two before. Even though they lost Ablett the year before, it wasn't like the list was built from scratch. The list was still full of Hall of Famers and Superstars.

His finals record hasn't been good from 2012 onwards, and players like Caddy, Smedts (now gone) Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch just haven't taken the next step in their development under him. Is this a result in the players not buying into the game plan? Nakia Cockatoo come to the club with huge raps, and he's failed to cement a spot in the side.

Is it even necessary for Geelong to give him a new deal when they could wait til season's end and address things then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. catstorm

catstorm Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Everton, Toronto Raptors
    Dec 9, 2011
    The Problem is he is a coach with a 71% win rate with a flag and 2 other prelim finals, he has turned over the list since Bomber left and has kept on winning.

I would want to wait and see but if you don't wrap him up he is a candidate to be poached by another club, as hard as that is for some people to believe.

Also ask yourself this is their something better out there for Geelong to go after, I would argue no they would have to sign an unproven coach.

3. aCunningPlan

aCunningPlan Eating Dim Sims

Geelong
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ballarat, Victoria
    He certainly deserves a contract extension based on the side's performances, the only thing I would suggest is to maybe bring in some fresh faces under him to solves this persistent problem of not playing the full four quarters!

4. Black JuJu

Black JuJu Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Aug 4, 2003
    WA
    Not going to get sacked this year, and it would take missing the finals in 2017 and a terrible 2018 to see him go - so it's reasonably safe I think.

5. Purple Suit

Purple Suit Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Sep 30, 2011
    Freo
    This decision is head and shoulders above Hardwick and his brother's extension as he's got form and a record to back it up. We shouldn't be sacking 15 coaches every three years since they didn't win the flag.

6. Abasi

Abasi Moderator

Hawthorn
    Apr 19, 2006
    LOBSTER CAVE
    Was it extended, or was he about to come out of contract?

I query why clubs sign coaches in March.

Rotayjay, edge of reason, SJ and 3 others like this.
  7. MisterMarcus

MisterMarcus Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Sep 20, 2009
    Pascoe Vale
    You can question our post-2011 output, but I would say Scott was a major factor in us winning in 2011. Go re-watch the 2010 prelim to show how our game style had completely run its course....Scott provided a fresh face and changes to the game style that probably wouldn't have happened if Bomber was still coach.

No change = no win in 2011.

kidkenobi, SJ and Old_Man_James like this.
  8. BF Tiger

BF Tiger Premiership Player

Richmond
    Jun 5, 2007
    9th
    With Dangerfield in the side last year they looked a different side to the team that missed the finals the year before. Hard to see them missing this year, so you'd presume he'd be offered a contract at some point during the season.

Doing it early means a two year extension rather than possibly three at the end of season. It might be a smart move.

9. JoondalupJ

JoondalupJ Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Perth Wildcats basketball
    Oct 9, 2006
    Perth
    He is a successful coach, Geelong are doing OK and will show up again this season. Its his brother that worries me, I am no fan of North or Boomer , I know he is a champion, but he should have had one more year at least. Weird thing that.
    Bad times ahead for North I think.

10. Duskfire

Duskfire Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Jun 30, 2007
    Perth
    People like to criticise Chris Scott but the fact of the matter is that it's possible three or so clubs could be looking at a new coach at the end of the season and this just ensures he is hands off. Has consistently gotten Geelong into the finals despite rebuilding; he deserves it and Richmond especially would probably have had a look at him.

11. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    Sep 26, 2012
    Melbourne
    I always get confused by which Scott brother is walking a fine line or else travelling well.

one has a wide open space to run in and the other will try their hardest to give their players the incentive to play freely.

Maybe it's in the genes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Melbourne City, Arsenal
    Jan 1, 2008
    48 J 09
    We remain the only team that Bevo has not beaten. Twice in a premiership year. That is something. Let's reassess after the Cats v Doggies at the Cattery.

On a serious side, I think he has achieved a lot, has a good win-loss %, and has declared himself that he still has so much to learn and offer.
    He is a great advertisement for GFC, imo.

13. Rory Walkerfield

Rory Walkerfield Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Oct 6, 2012
    Thread needs a poll with yes as the only option.

TheSheik likes this.
  14. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Melbourne City, Arsenal
    Jan 1, 2008
    48 J 09
    Not a CS fan?

15. Rory Walkerfield

Rory Walkerfield Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Oct 6, 2012
    Inherited a great team so I just don't attribute that premiership to him. It's not like he built the side to achieve it.

TheSheik likes this.
  16. chris9753

chris9753 Senior List

Geelong
    Aug 23, 2009
    He's won an average of 17 games a year
    Past 6years: 5 finals appearances, 4 (I think) top 4 finishes, 1 premiership
    Transitioned the 2011 list - only 10 remain
    Highest winning record of any AFL coach in history (72 percent)

Crazy to let him go

17. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    Sep 26, 2012
    Melbourne
    and like any coach built much after a few years. oh I forgot clarko built his team but that is the point. he got time on his side and went for it. so
    dude there it is proof.

18. QuietB

QuietB Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    May 13, 2008
    Melbourne
    It is not like he is going to be sacked any time soon. Stability is worth the price in this instance.

And even if Geelong are not successful this year or next he has earned the right at a full rebuild hasn't he?

19. RedVest4

RedVest4 Brownlow Medallist

Yes they are, terrible decision.

20. blitzer

blitzer Premiership Player

Essendon
    Aug 27, 2006
    House
    Seems a pretty reasonable decision. Certainly if you're a Geelong fan you have plenty to hang your hat on regards to this. I think most neutrals would have him somewhere around the top 4 current coaches. I think he's shown some ability to turn the list over.

21. QuietB

QuietB Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    May 13, 2008
    Melbourne
    Who do you want though? Malthouse? Wallace? Ayres?

22. RedVest4

RedVest4 Brownlow Medallist

Bomber or Cameron Ling

23. Mr_Moogle

Mr_Moogle Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt FC
    May 29, 2011
    SA
    His record is pretty good statistically. Definitely good enough to be retained. I'm just not sure whether that translates into being premiership threat. They we're exposed in that prelim last year.

24. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    Sep 26, 2012
    Melbourne
    stop with the equity you peasant.. ui just wonder at your coach's ability to bring everyone together
    and then you stamp your foot and say why not now, why not us..

so stamp your foot and I'm sure scotty will do the same. :(

25. javaguice

javaguice Club Legend

West Coast
    Feb 29, 2012
    Probably. He's no bevo. That's what u really wanted to hear. Be honest with yourself.