Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
His finals record since 2011 isn't great;

2012 - Freo L
2013 - Freo L
2013 - Port W
2013 - Hawthorn L
2014 - Hawthorn L
2014 - North L
2016 - Hawthorn W
2016 - Sydney L

2 wins, 6 losses.

They haven't really been a premiership threat despite a few high finishes.

Basically
We're 0-2 as the underdog
We're 1-2 in 50-50 games
We're 1-2 in games we have no excuse to lose.

It's poor in anyone's language.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
His finals record since 2011 isn't great;

2012 - Freo L
2013 - Freo L
2013 - Port W
2013 - Hawthorn L
2014 - Hawthorn L
2014 - North L
2016 - Hawthorn W
2016 - Sydney L

2 wins, 6 losses.

They haven't really been a premiership threat despite a few high finishes.

It looks a bit better if you include his full coaching record.

2011 - Hawthorn W
2011 - West Coast W
2011 - Collingwood W (GF)

And which coaches have achieved a record of finals qualification as good as Chris Scott?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Geelongs have 8 players remaining from their 2011 premiership team, and that's counting Bartel and Enright. Still consistently makes finals. No idea why people still continue to question him; when 2 thirds of the team are from under that coach and still makes top 4 surely the coach must be doing something right.
If you look at the prelim team:

He took over Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins in their prime. That's 3 top draw bookends.
Lonergan and Mackie still get the job done. Enright and Bartel did until they retired. That's 4 veterans
Dangerfield, Henderson, Scott Selwood, Stanley and Smith were all trade ins. Caddy as well in some ways. That's 6 trade ins.
Mitch Duncan look the goods in year 1 before Scott got there, played (very well) in a grand final in Scott's first year.

Scott's new players then are: Guthrie, Menegola, Cowan, Moltop, Bews, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij and McCarthy. Mainly flankers and bottom third of the team guys and definitely not Geelong's best players. Now I know the Cats traded away a lot of picks, drafted late due to success, had injuries to other talents (Menzel, Vardy) and managing game time for youngsters is very hard when you're competing for flags, but if you base it around the lost prelim last year there's a lot to question about how Scott is developing players and what side he's creating. That's without even touching on game plan and consistency problems.

Obviously Enright and Bartel are gone now. So it becomes even more of Scott's team. Tuohy is a great pick up. Parfitt looks really to go. Cockatoo looks fitter and there are others to step in like Tom Stewart. But if I was a cats fan I'd be saying it's a huge year for Scott's development program to show results in terms of consistent football from guys like McCarthy, Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow even Motlop and Guthrie to take the next step.

Then there's tactics that are an entire other conversation.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
You want Bomber or Ling, or the OP? Ling is a TV person now, and Bomber is yesterday's man at Geelong
Bomber leaving in 2010 was the best thing to happen to us.... He even admitted himself that if he had coached on into 2011 we would not of won the flag.... On the topic I think Scotty is a good coach but not great, but as previously mentioned you only replace a guy if there is a better alternative, and to my knowledge there is very few premiership coaches with a 70 % win record out there to get.

Bomber leaving in 2010 was the best thing to happen to us.... He even admitted himself that if he had coached on into 2011 we would not of won the flag.... On the topic I think Scotty is a good coach but not great, but as previously mentioned you only replace a guy if there is a better alternative, and to my knowledge there is very few premiership coaches with a 70 % win record out there to get.
Agree.

A certain individual who is a prolific Chris Scott hater is touting Joel Corey as his successor. We don't even know if he wants a senior gig. Going from an assistant to senior coach is a major step

Can't see JC ever being a senior coach.
Was a club great, and no doubt has footy smarts, but to be THE front man- I would think he would hate that attention.
Agree.

A certain individual who is a prolific Chris Scott hater is touting Joel Corey as his successor. We don't even know if he wants a senior gig. Going from an assistant to senior coach is a major step

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think he's a pretty good tactical/match day coach, contrary to what many believe. Has outcoached every coach in the league at some stage.

Think his development of players leaves a lot to be desired. Many young players now coming through as senior players who haven't ironed out the kinks in their game - they are just usually fitter and stronger versions of their draftee selves. Haven't seen many players come along in leaps and bounds under Scott bar Guthrie probably?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think 2-3 years is about right.

The jury is out with him, as far as I'm concerned, but you back him or sack him. And you really need to give a senior coach a year longer on his contract than you'd like to. You need to have a coach with a long-term view, rather than one who is thinking about his future every week. The one with job security will do what he thinks is best for your club. The one who is getting a performance review and probably being axed at the end of the year is going to squeeze everything he can out of the current list, avoid blooding youngsters and booking players in for necessary surgery, if they can play through pain instead.

If you sign a coach for three years and have to sack him after 18 months, well, that's just the way it goes.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The Problem is he is a coach with a 71% win rate with a flag and 2 other prelim finals, he has turned over the list since Bomber left and has kept on winning.

I would want to wait and see but if you don't wrap him up he is a candidate to be poached by another club, as hard as that is for some people to believe.

Also ask yourself this is their something better out there for Geelong to go after, I would argue no they would have to sign an unproven coach.
With the team he has had we should of made at least one more GF since 2011. We have finished top 2 in 3 seasons since 2011 and not one gf.

barmy44

BigFooty Guy
May 14, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, England Test Team, Sturt
Inherited a great team so I just don't attribute that premiership to him. It's not like he built the side to achieve it.

This argument does not compute with most geelong supporters. They simply do not get it.

no one should give him credit for building the list, because he didnt. but he absolutely deserves credit for coaching that list to a flag against - other than geelong - an unbeatable opponent.

its not that crazy a concept - a similar collingwood side had geelongs measure the year before. not saying it was a coaching performance for the ages, but surely it wasnt a 'plug and play' premiership. he didnt build the team, but he perfectly re-tooled it.

i think he is far from perfect, and there is quite a bit of room for improvement, but he absolutely deserves credit for what he did in 2011, regardless of the fact he didnt assemble the list.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Basically
We're 0-2 as the underdog
We're 1-2 in 50-50 games
We're 1-2 in games we have no excuse to lose.

It's poor in anyone's language.
Especially when you account for the fact one of those wins came from a lucky miss after the siren and the other win came from losing what should of been an almost unloseable game against port where we simply did not show up until after half time.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Especially when you account for the fact one of those wins came from a lucky miss after the siren and the other win came from losing what should of been an almost unloseable game against port where we simply did not show up until after half time.

It's not great, but if we put asterisks next our wins, it's only fair we do the same for the loses. I'd prefer to do neither.

Inherited a great team so I just don't attribute that premiership to him. It's not like he built the side to achieve it.
Yes he inherited a talented bunch of players, but it was a group that was unceremoniously thrashed in the 2010 PF, a team that lost its No.1 player (and the No.1 player in the AFL at the time), and a team that virtually all "experts" had written off as "too slow, and too old". He promised not to overhaul things dramatically but knew Bomber's game plan had been conquered by the likes of Collingwood. So to say you don't attribute the 2011 premiership to Chris Scott is absolute and utter garbage. You only have to look at previous premiers who have fallen by the wayside after losing key players (e.g., Essendon post 2000)

As a matter of interest, to who do you attribute the 2011 premiership?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone would think it's easy to be a premiership coach. We've had six in over 100 years.

I'll say it again: people are way too fixated on the number of years on a contract. You give a coach a year's more security than maybe you'd like to, in order to ensure that he has an eye to the future at all times, rather than on his own job security. There's a reason that clubs don't re-sign their coaches to one year extensions.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
no one should give him credit for building the list, because he didnt. but he absolutely deserves credit for coaching that list to a flag against - other than geelong - an unbeatable opponent.

its not that crazy a concept - a similar collingwood side had geelongs measure the year before. not saying it was a coaching performance for the ages, but surely it wasnt a 'plug and play' premiership. he didnt build the team, but he perfectly re-tooled it.

i think he is far from perfect, and there is quite a bit of room for improvement, but he absolutely deserves credit for what he did in 2011, regardless of the fact he didnt assemble the list.

but surely it wasnt a 'plug and play' premiership. he didnt build the team, but he perfectly re-tooled it.

I don't wanna take any credit away from Chris for coming to Geelong as an outsider and novice coach who was able to quickly adjust to the needs of a veteran team. That's something that I doubt just any random person off the street could also achieve. You need the right interpersonal, communication skills and personality traits to pull something of that magnitude off.

But I think by that stage our senior players were pretty much coaching themselves and set in their ways. All Chris had to do was listen to the likes of Scarlo and co, tweak the game plan a little bit based on those concerns and things more or less took care of themselves from that point onward.

What happened with gaj in 2010 was a huge distraction that took a toll on the players focus on winning the flag. His petulance about not wanting to play as a small forward because it would've impacted his chances of winning Bronwlow votes (along with his blatant constant lying throughout the year about already having signed with the GC) would've created a toxic atmosphere that thankfully disappeared once he toddled off to his $10 million dollars subsidized by the AFL up in the Gold Coast.

The fact that our veteran champ's pride had been pricked would also have had a lot do with their determination to eke out one more quality tilt at a flag in 2011.

Aug 26, 2015
Pile of Melted servers
AFL Club
Richmond

forgetting that Crazy Malthouse basically cut his nose off to spite his face?

that game was as much lost by Collingwood as it was won by Geelong. It's a bit disingenuous to make Collingwood out as unbeatable, etc, after they basically imploded off-field with the shafting of Mick and subsequently him acting out of spite and stubbornness - refusing to move Reid? i think it was, off of Hawkins right as Hawkins was running rampant

Back