Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

forgetting that Crazy Malthouse basically cut his nose off to spite his face?

that game was as much lost by Collingwood as it was won by Geelong. It's a bit disingenuous to make Collingwood out as unbeatable, etc, after they basically imploded off-field with the shafting of Mick and subsequently him acting out of spite and stubbornness - refusing to move Reid? i think it was, off of Hawkins right as Hawkins was running rampant

sure, they had off field issues... but other than going 0-3 against geelong, they were unbeatable: 22-0 with a % out around 180.

i guess im not 'making them out as unbeatable', im saying no one else could beat them.

and id wager mick cared more about winning the flag than bottling it just to prove a point.

I don't wanna take any credit away from Chris for coming to Geelong as an outsider and novice coach who was able to quickly adjust to the needs of a veteran team. That's something that I doubt just any random person off the street could also achieve. You need the right interpersonal, communication skills and personality traits to pull something of that magnitude off.

But I think by that stage our senior players were pretty much coaching themselves and set in their ways. All Chris had to do was listen to the likes of Scarlo and co, tweak the game plan a little bit based on those concerns and things more or less took care of themselves from that point onward.

What happened with gaj in 2010 was a huge distraction that took a toll on the players focus on winning the flag. His petulance about not wanting to play as a small forward because it would've impacted his chances of winning Bronwlow votes (along with his blatant constant lying throughout the year about already having signed with the GC) would've created a toxic atmosphere that thankfully disappeared once he toddled off to his $10 million dollars subsidized by the AFL up in the Gold Coast.

The fact that our veteran champ's pride had been pricked would also have had a lot do with their determination to eke out one more quality tilt at a flag in 2011.

even IF that team 'coached itself', then credit to scott for getting out of the way and letting it happen? guess he could have let pride take over and try to stamp his authority and blown it that way.

anyway it is spun, scott played it perfectly - it was arguably geelongs most dominant flag winning season. not convinced that was simply a result of scarlett et al saying 'sit back chris, weve got this'.

i struggle to believe a team that lost a flag at its peak just decided 'hey guys, lets win it this year, yeah?'

its all guesswork, and i get that scott comes across to many as a 'petulant sook' etc... but the guy deserves credit for the year.

he didnt build the list, but whatever he did do that year - tweaking the gameplan, overhauling it, or just turning up and watching them play - it was the right thing.

Just to clafiry I wasn't accusing Chris of being petulant but Gary Jnr in 2010 for throwing a tanty when Bomba asked him to play as a small forward. At the time I thought it was a good idea moving gaj forward to shake things up in the field and diversify our scoring options. Sadly gaj didn't like it one bit for reasons mentioned previously.

Just to clafiry I wasn't accusing Chris of being petulant but Gary Jnr in 2010 for throwing a tanty when Bomba asked him to play as a small forward. At the time I thought it was a good idea moving gaj forward to shake things up in the field and diversify our scoring options. Sadly gaj didn't like it one bit for reasons mentioned previously.

i know you werent, what you meant was clear. my comment as to scott being seen broadly as a bit of a petulant sook was more general - the gifs of his disbelief at FKs against, general 'whinging' etc. it seems a fairly common view, and i can kind of see why even if i dont personally agree.

Anyone would think it's easy to be a premiership coach. We've had six in over 100 years.

I'll say it again: people are way too fixated on the number of years on a contract. You give a coach a year's more security than maybe you'd like to, in order to ensure that he has an eye to the future at all times, rather than on his own job security. There's a reason that clubs don't re-sign their coaches to one year extensions.
Also the liability to the club is now minimal given they've transitioned the whole staff to only 3-6 month pay outs.

sure, they had off field issues... but other than going 0-3 against geelong, they were unbeatable: 22-0 with a % out around 180.

i guess im not 'making them out as unbeatable', im saying no one else could beat them.

and id wager mick cared more about winning the flag than bottling it just to prove a point.
i know quite a few collingwood supporters and they all unanimously agree that mick and his anger/spite cost them the 2011 flag

i know quite a few collingwood supporters and they all unanimously agree that mick and his anger/spite cost them the 2011 flag

all that proves though is what your friends who support collingwood have told you they believe.

this doesnt need to go any further... i agree collingwood had a less than ideal off field situation in 2011. however, collingwood play anyone else in that GF and they are almost certainly premiers.

geelong had their measure on field. scott coached that year perfectly - whether it was tweaking, overhauling, or staying out of the way while his players took care of business.

Geelong matched up well vs us in 2011.

Micks off field behaviour was a distraction but his inability to move players is what ultimately killed us in the GF.

Taz should of went to Hawkins from the outset and left Reid to do his best work chopping off attacks.

You know a seriously arrogant/delusional bunch of Collingwood supporters.

Geelong being better than them cost Collingwood the 11 flag, nothing else.
now who's arrogant or delusional?

Malthouse's spite meant he refused to make any changes during the box - leaving an injured Reid on Hawkins, that is the epitome of cutting your nose off to spite your face

Malthouse's spite meant he refused to make any changes during the box - leaving an injured Reid on Hawkins, that is the epitome of cutting your nose off to spite your face

micks spite meant he decided 'im going to bottle this to make the decision to move me on more justifiable' instead of 'ill show these pricks by having them shunt out a back to back premiership coach'?

the latter sounds more mick to me.

anyway, who really knows?

to be a tad facetious, scott is one lucky no hoper - landed a team that just decided to coach themselves to a flag in his first year, and then on GF day the opposing coach decided he felt like losing it to prove a point - possibly the point that those who moved him on were justified.

anyway, getting fairly well off topic here. sorry to all others not involved in this sideshow.

We played them 3 times, and beat them 3 times.
We won that Grand Final by 38 points. No need for arrogance or delusion from our side, just facts.

Irrelevant.
Look at the facts that season.
As barmy44 said, they beat every team that year, lost zero games, except the 3 to Geelong. So all of the problems at Pieland existed only against Geelong? 3 x? That is non- sensical.
After getting over Hawthorn, they were up on us in the GF despite the start that Varcoe gave us.
What happened after half time was nothing to do with MM anger/spite.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irrelevant.
Look at the facts that season.
As Barmy44 said, they beat every team that year, lost zero games, except the 3 to Geelong. So all of the problems at Pieland existed only against Geelong? 3 x? That is non- sensical.
After getting over Hawthorn, they were up on us in the GF despite the start that Varcoe gave us.
What happened after half time was nothing to do with MM anger/spite.
yet it was, Malthouse's actions are what directly prevented them from being able to win.

They were 3 pts up at H/T, Malthouse being too set in his ways to do it 'his way' trying to spite McGuire and Buckley.

We'll never know if they Could have won it, but Malthouse single handedly sabotaged himself and the club by extension

yet it was, Malthouse's actions are what directly prevented them from being able to win.

They were 3 pts up at H/T, Malthouse being too set in his ways to do it 'his way' trying to spite McGuire and Buckley.

We'll never know if they Could have won it, but Malthouse single handedly sabotaged himself and the club by extension

You make no allowances for the opposition and their will to win this game.
How did Pies get 3 points up?

Last edited:
You are talking shite.
You make no allowances for the opposition and their will to win this game.
How did Pies get 3 points up?
I'm not addressing their opposition, I'm addressing the fact that Malthouse's actions cost them any chance of winning. Refusing to move Reid off of Hawkins is the biggest one that comes to mind

It's been reported that he's on the verge of signing a new three year contract. Do you agree that it's the right decision by the footy club?

Obviously he has a premiership to his name. But it was won on the back of a list build from Bomber, and a few Geelong legends who had already won two before. Even though they lost Ablett the year before, it wasn't like the list was built from scratch. The list was still full of Hall of Famers and Superstars.

His finals record hasn't been good from 2012 onwards, and players like Caddy, Smedts (now gone) Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch just haven't taken the next step in their development under him. Is this a result in the players not buying into the game plan? Nakia Cockatoo come to the club with huge raps, and he's failed to cement a spot in the side.

Is it even necessary for Geelong to give him a new deal when they could wait til season's end and address things then?
Bevo would be worried after his team seemed to not want to play for him last night and were duly humiliated by a Fremantle side with a large number of new players. Scotty accounted for Freo easily. I'm worried on behalf of you.

Scott should stay. A bit of patience might be worth it. Cats were clinical yesterday and their skills at times in moving the ball were fantastic. They do go thru lapses though, consistency is a prob, and they got opened up by Melbourne on the spread quite often. Theyll be there abouts this year.

Geelong need to work on their mental game though. Not sure they have the mentality of a champion team quite yet. Although that could quite easily also be interpreted as it just being early in the season. We won't know without the benefit of hindsight.

It's been reported that he's on the verge of signing a new three year contract. Do you agree that it's the right decision by the footy club?

Obviously he has a premiership to his name. But it was won on the back of a list build from Bomber, and a few Geelong legends who had already won two before. Even though they lost Ablett the year before, it wasn't like the list was built from scratch. The list was still full of Hall of Famers and Superstars.

His finals record hasn't been good from 2012 onwards, and players like Caddy, Smedts (now gone) Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch just haven't taken the next step in their development under him. Is this a result in the players not buying into the game plan? Nakia Cockatoo come to the club with huge raps, and he's failed to cement a spot in the side.

Is it even necessary for Geelong to give him a new deal when they could wait til season's end and address things then?
I know it's easy to kick a man when he's down. But I can't believe Geelong gave this bloke a 3 year contract extension. And it's not just about last nights result. Yes, they are sitting second. But you just know they are going to be miles off it come finals.

Is being a good side during the season, and crumbling in finals year after year really enough to classify his season as a success? And the fact that they continue to top up with mature players is really starting to expose their lack of young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back