Where will Geelong finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right now the guy under the most pressure would have to be Chris Scott. Geelong are absolutely primed for a top 2 finish, anything less than a GF appearance is an abject failure. Given the history of Geelong since 2013, and you’d argue it is very very good, to bow out in a semi or a PF would mean that something is very wrong with the list come finals, the coaching or the approach.

If Geelong don’t make a GF this year I’d ask Cats fans if they’re happy with how the season went. This isn’t a dig at Geelong, but more a legitimate question based on disappointing exits in 2013,2014,2016,2017,2018. Also with a clear list management approach to top up for a flag tilt.

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Right now the guy under the most pressure would have to be Chris Scott. Geelong are absolutely primed for a top 2 finish, anything less than a GF appearance is an abject failure. Given the history of Geelong since 2013, and you’d argue it is very very good, to bow out in a semi or a PF would mean that something is very wrong with the list come finals, the coaching or the approach.

If Geelong don’t make a GF this year I’d ask Cats fans if they’re happy with how the season went. This isn’t a dig at Geelong, but more a legitimate question based on disappointing exits in 2013,2014,2016,2017,2018. Also with a clear list management approach to top up for a flag tilt.

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski
Its a fair question

Given the recent finals record, Geelong really has to make GF.

The Achilles which the club hasnt got right since Brad Ottens is the ruck. It weakens everything about the team and makes them vulnerable

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski

Geelong can absolutely win it, I'm just not sure if they can make it to the gf, that's the hard part with potentially 2 byes.

Last night was a s**t show but I won't make any knee-jerk reactions to it. The loss to Port straight after the bye was a lot more concerning for me even though they were a much higher quality to what Footscray were last night.

The pre-finals bye is still really a big bugbear of mine. One of the bonuses of winning lots of games in the first half to two-thirds of the season is that you can manage players leading into the finals. Now everyone gets the pre-finals bye so it diminishes managing players earlier to a certain extent. It's like kids in a sporting event, everyone gets a ribbon.

I posted somewhere a couple of weeks ago that WCE will finish top 2 and should be the favourites, I think they're probably the strongest team in it now. Geelong are certainly better than they have been for a number of seasons owing to the revamped forward line.

Half the Geelong supporters on here will agree with me and the other half won't but iirc, Hawthorn are the only side in the comp with a +tive w/l record coming off a bye, WCE and Adelaide were next best they were roughly 50/50, I did a thread on it on the Geelong board a couple of years ago and have been updating it each season. Geelong is the worst club in the league coming off a bye, including GWS and GC and their early years.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats can’t travel, WC can.

2019 Premiers = WC.

Geelong have lost 3 games this season. 1 at Kardinia to GWS, 1 at the Adelaide Oval to Port Adelaide, a venue where prior to the loss had a 3-1 record against Port (it was after a bye too, if you were smart you could have put your house on it), 1 at Marvel Stadium where Geelong has the best winning percentage in the league.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Whilst you don’t want to make calls too early, I think this time of the year gives a good indication of who can get it done. Plenty of time still for WC, Collingwood, Geelong, GWS, Richmond and Port (smoky).

Personally, I think the Eagles are the best outfit, but they’ll still face stiff competition nonetheless in the finals.

I almost think Geelong's best chance is to finish top 2 and have a soft, bruise-free loss in the first week of the finals.

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski
Geelong was widely tipped to finish outside the eight this year yet sit a game clear on top. It is important to remind ourselves that it's only round 16 and teams lose games sometimes. Collingwood has lost two in a row, Geelong beat a full strength WCE by 10 goals and everyone else has tripped over their own shoelaces at times this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

No, but making the GF absolutely should be the expectation for the club.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski
Interesting My Davey.

Assuming we do make top 2, if we didn't make the Granny from that point then yes for me, it is a failure. Or perhaps rather a disappointment. The Tigers were bundled out by a ferocious, frenetic Collingwood in the Prelims last year who on the night were just a far better side. I wouldn't say that was a failure, especially after finishing as minor premiers and winning it the year before. Even without the flag, the year was still a success. They just got outplayed by a superior side on that occasion.

If we were to lose in similar circumstances then no, it is not a failure. If we simply s**t the bed or snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, then that is a failure. I wouldn't blame the list or coaching either. Not at this stage, unless Scott royally *s up in-game.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Cats are still in a great spot for a flag. In poor form but they’re clear on top and virtually safe in the top 2 so they can afford to drop a few while they fix any issues properly - as opposed to trying to just cover them up.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
And how many times has your loser club made the finals in the last 30 years? I bet not as many times as Crows have in the last 20 years.
A Richmond supporter should be the last one to have shots at other clubs when their loser club has made finals 7 times in the last 37 years for 1 flag when the team his having a shot at has made finals twice as many times and won twice as many flags in only 28 years.
How many flags has Adelaide won in the 21st century?

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong play well - they have peaked too early.

Geelong lose - they are s**t and won’t get anywhere

Every team goes through form slumps. Keep in mind that Geelongs biggest loss this year is 16 points. Every other team has had a big heavy loss at some point (some multiple.) At the end of the day, Geelongs form is bad but they are only just losing, which to me is a good sign.

Eagles will most likely win the flag at this point, but I would be surprised if Geelong doesn’t finish top 2. They are two games plus big percentage clear of third.

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I said it on our board we need to go back to what we're doing before the bye. I think we were one of the most balanced teams at this point but it's gone wayward the last few weeks.

Bring in another tall to play CHF and 2nd ruck. Drop a defender or 2 since we play too many and bring in another mid. The selections we've made post-bye are Geelong 2018 territory hopefully the MC realize this and get our team back into balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back