Can GC turn this around?

What is the future of the GC Suns?

• They will eventually become successful and become a destination club.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • They will be dissolved or moved by the AFL within the next ten years.

Votes: 66 30.3%
  • They will merge with a Melbourne club within ten years.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • They will survive for years but will rarely make the finals.

Votes: 105 48.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect, North Melbourne should have moved to Gold Coast at least the supporters would guve a shiz!

Have a good look at the Fitzroy experience to see what might have happened to the North Melbourne supporter base, had North Melbourne relocated. Many just wouldn't be prepared to support an interstate club that plays only five-six matches in Melbourne.

North made the right decision to stay in Melbourne.

Did I write something incorrectly? 17th,17th,14th,12th,16th 15th,17th,17th, the only thing I forgot is that GC are favourite for the wooden spoon this year and next so it will probably read 17th,17th,14th,12th,16th 15th,17th,17th,18th,18th not good for football i would suggest.

If we were to wind the clock back 5-years we could easily have had a thread titled "Are Richmond Tigers a basketcase ??"

Absolute nonsense,its opposition club supporters that make up Gold Coast crowds.I'm not sure why people want them to succeed,they are a club made for ine reason, to make money and at the moment it's a nice way for the AFL to throw money down the drain.

You've never been to Metricon have you? Absolute nonsense post as usual considering they have 12k members. Very few people are going to travel to the Gold Coast for an noncompetitive game

Did I write something incorrectly? 17th,17th,14th,12th,16th 15th,17th,17th, the only thing I forgot is that GC are favourite for the wooden spoon this year and next so it will probably read 17th,17th,14th,12th,16th 15th,17th,17th,18th,18th not good for football i would suggest.
Who is offering odds on us to be bottom of the ladder in 2020?

1 year is a long time in footy.

I have a feeling they'll be given 5-10 years for this new rebuild. If they fail, by that time Tassie will have had TAC and VFL teams for a while, so it'll be a smooth transition of GC becoming defunct and Tassie being granted a license. All GC players when they dissolve to become free agents.

OP you are right
100% right
I've just told my two sons that we wont go to the footy anymore because some Victorians think our team is not worth playing in the AFL.

told them to play fortnite instead and to stop crying
also told them to email their mates who all play auskick and love the Suns. no point.
just give it up

you *en * face - go * off

I have a feeling they'll be given 5-10 years for this new rebuild. If they fail, by that time Tassie will have had TAC and VFL teams for a while, so it'll be a smooth transition of GC becoming defunct and Tassie being granted a license. All GC players when they dissolve to become free agents.
No chance.

This is generational.

More chance of a Vic team being booted than any expansion side.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OP you are right
100% right
I've just told my two sons that we wont go to the footy anymore because some Victorians think our team is not worth playing in the AFL.

told them to play fortnite instead and to stop crying
also told them to email their mates who all play auskick and love the Suns. no point.
just give it up

you ****en **** face - go **** off
Classy stuff Billy Ray Cyris, the current state of GC and it's future is a legitimate question or would you rather 'nothing to see here everything going to plan'.What's going to happen if GC don't win a game this year? 9 years into a plan and hot faves for the spoon.If you were a hardcore supporter , you would be contacting the club to say wtf is going on.If you're happy with how things are going good for you.Imo you need a decent coach and you should be trading draft picks for players who want to be there , but not pick 2 for Weller please.

Classy stuff Billy Ray Cyris, the current state of GC and it's future is a legitimate question or would you rather 'nothing to see here everything going to plan'
there have been 100 other threads discussing this - use the search function. or do you think you have had some unique idea for a thread?

the club is young, it takes time, it takes a generation. look at swans a generation ago in 80s
and things change quick - swans went from bottom in 1993 to a grand final in 1996. things can change and change quickly
the club has been training and administered out of demountables ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there have been 100 other threads discussing this - use the search function. or do you think you have had some unique idea for a thread?

the club is young, it takes time, it takes a generation. look at swans a generation ago in 80s
and things change quick - swans went from bottom in 1993 to a grand final in 1996. things can change and change quickly
the club has been training and administered out of demountables ffs.
Yes but they had South Melbourne supporters on board and a city of 4 million, I really think the best option is to convince North Melbourne or another team to merge with you.

nope
mergers (or takeovers) will not work.

I wouldn't support a north-gc hybrid team.
I'd be lost to the game as a paid up member and supporter.
Ok fair enough best of luck this year,I would actually like it if you beat Carlton twice.I dont hate GC, I just can't see it working long term.

Classy stuff Billy Ray Cyris, the current state of GC and it's future is a legitimate question or would you rather 'nothing to see here everything going to plan'.What's going to happen if GC don't win a game this year? 9 years into a plan and hot faves for the spoon.If you were a hardcore supporter , you would be contacting the club to say wtf is going on.If you're happy with how things are going good for you.Imo you need a decent coach and you should be trading draft picks for players who want to be there , but not pick 2 for Weller please.
Classier than anything you have written.

You have just written pages of garbage calling expansion fans not even real fans.
A suns fan shows passion and you whinge.

You should be thankful people like you werent in charge back in the 80s. Bye bye tiges.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1. The Gold Coast population is set to double and be over 1 million by 2050, in the scheme of things that's not too long in to the future. People from traditional footy states will be part of the population boom.

2. Junior AFL participation is very strong in Queensland, it's not entirely the rugby state

3. The Suns initial crowds were strong, seemed to be over 15k most games

4. The Stadium by all reports is at worst adequate, if not better, and it has the potential to be a good boutique atmosphere

There's a lot of reasons to think they can average 20k+ crowds consistently which is probably a good start to becoming a long term proposition.

Of course that's all dependent on having a competitive side which is a huge challenge given they're in a pretty big hole right now. Unfortunately when you have a bad team and a bad club it's twice as hard to climb out of that hole.

I don't like that Adelaide and Port Adelaide are already circling Gold Coast's new recruits like vultures.

Yeah those bloody South Australian clubs chasing South Australians. How dare they.... if it’s any conciliation they are probably chasing Hayward too

I agree it’s a long term strategy about growing the game in Qld.
However is there any concern about the wretched history of sporting teams from all codes trying to tap the Gold Coast market.

The demographers would say it’s obvious being one of the fastest growing population centres in the country, yet history shows sports competitions have struggled to make an impression on the market

Right now its bleak for them but I suspect the wheel will turn at some point in the next few years. AFL will prop them up until it does. I expect them to become a long term sustainable proposition eventually. Hopefully they don't continue to be this punching bag of the competition who lose players every year but we've seen teams like Melbourne turn it around.

I think they'll be ok; they stuffed their initial list build so are left with a relatively uncompetitive team. A lot of those initial players (e.g. May and Lynch) don't want to stay for a second, which is fair enough.

They've significantly improved their facilities, and are now AFL standard. They appear to have the off-field stuff sorted in terms of coaching and admin. They've recruited good young talent, with an eye to keeping friends together, and added solid citizens of the likes of Miles, Ellis, Horlin-Smith and Hombsch who are all AFL ready.

I doubt they'll ever be a huge club, but I can see being a little under the St Kilda / North / Bulldogs level of ~40k members if the GC population continues to grow and they enjoy some moderate success. They'll be a boutique club in a growing geographic centre.

And in real terms; whatever money the AFL has put in to GCS, they've most likely recouped from the increased TV deal already anyway.

I agree it’s a long term strategy about growing the game in Qld.
However is there any concern about the wretched history of sporting teams from all codes trying to tap the Gold Coast market.

The demographers would say it’s obvious being one of the fastest growing population centres in the country, yet history shows sports competitions have struggled to make an impression on the market

I think people look too far into that. Surely privately owned basketball and soccer franchises have no relevance to an AFL club?

If you imagined Gold Coast Suns were a private franchise that paid, say, $20M licence fee and only received the base distribution, it would probably have accumulated losses of well over $100M already.

For the AFL it is just a redistribution of revenues that ultimately just means (on average) players and coaches earn slightly less money than they otherwise would have with 1 less team.

The AFL can do this for decades. The suns could be terrible for another 5 years and when they eventually come good those that stuck with them will be hard core fans with the scars to prove it as they casuals start showing up again.

Back