Media Are hit-outs useful.

Remove this Banner Ad

grumbleguts

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tully FNQ
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wanted to see how useful the hit-out actually was. I mean, does the ruckman winning the tap translate to scoreboard ascendancy?

I looked at a plot of a team's total hit-outs against their percentage on the ladder. I figured a team's percentage is a decent indication of success on the scoreboard. Here's what i found:

upload_2018-10-28_23-40-20.png

It appears there is a fairly decent correlation between hitouts and percentage (Pearson's correlation coefficient of 0.69). Considering the sheer number of other factors involved, this is a fairly substantial correlation.

It appears that ruck taps in this game have a strong impact on final score board.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
I wanted to see how useful the hit-out actually was. I mean, does the ruckman winning the tap translate to scoreboard ascendancy?

I looked at a plot of a team's total hit-outs against their percentage on the ladder. I figured a team's percentage is a decent indication of success on the scoreboard. Here's what i found:

View attachment 579489

It appears there is a fairly decent correlation between hitouts and percentage (Pearson's correlation coefficient of 0.69). Considering the sheer number of other factors involved, this is a fairly substantial correlation.

It appears that ruck taps in this game have a strong impact on final score board.
Oh sh*t, look what you've done. Don't enable them!

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
I know I know....

I actually thought I'd be putting them in their tall, thin, uncoordinated box. But the stats actually paint a rather ugly picture that they are an necessary evil.
It figures. Hitouts only occur after goals in the sim. Higher score equals more hitouts. Teams with more high scores tend to win more games. Therefore win more games equals more hitouts.

Tigerturbulance

245kg of Love Muscle
May 13, 2015
Hippodrome
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies Banhammer Bandits
Rucks are and always will be the most significant position on the qooty field.
First touch of the qooty increases the opportunity of any team to move fwd and score, it's just the midget mids that continually f@ck up and cough the qooty up that hurt teams and the fwds who can't kick straight :(

U2tigers

Ruck off
Nov 9, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies, Mizzou and Bengals
First touch of the qooty increases the opportunity of any team to move fwd and score, it's just the midget mids that continually f@ck up and cough the qooty up that hurt teams and the fwds who can't kick straight :(
Took the words right out of my mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Having a the ball bounce off your scone does count as a first touch, yes. It then takes us mighty mids to clean up after you

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad