Society/Culture Are homosexuals more prejudicial than heterosexuals?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The aim of the meta-analysis was (1) to empirically assess the net persuasive effects of homosexual versus heterosexual and gay male versus lesbian imagery in advertising and (2) to uncover the conditions under which either or both imageries lead to more persuasion, and thus benefits advertisers and marketers.

As for the first goal, the findings show that the net persuasive effect between homosexual and heterosexual imagery, as well between gay male and lesbian advertising, does not differ. Some prior research has suggested that homosexuals in advertising could negatively affect heterosexual consumers, but the metaregression findings show that, when differentiating between homosexual and heterosexual consumers, heterosexual consumers do not react differently to homosexual or heterosexual imagery in advertising. The findings are in line with a positive social (priming) effects of homosexual imagery: Diversity in advertising portrayals can prime most consumers to think about others, which leads to perceived social connectedness, empathy, and the appreciation of diversity in advertising imagery (Åkestam, Rosengren, and Dahlen 2017, Sara Rosengren, and Micael Dahlen (2017), “Think About It—Can Portrayals of Homosexuality in Advertising Prime Consumer-Perceived Social Connectedness and Empathy?,” European Journal of Marketing, 51 (1), 82–98.[Crossref], [Web of Science ®], , [Google Scholar]). Homosexual consumers, however, are more persuaded by homosexual than heterosexual portrayals. Rather than the negative reactions of heterosexual consumers that has been suggested in prior research (e.g., Angelini and Bradley 2010 Angelini, James R., and Samuel D. Bradley (2010), “Homosexual Imagery in Print Advertisements: Attended, Remembered, But Disliked,” Journal of Homosexuality, 57 (4), 485–502.[Taylor & Francis Online], [Web of Science ®], , [Google Scholar]; Oakenfull, McCarthy, and Greenlee 2008, Michael S. McCarthy, and Timothy B. Greenlee (2008), “Targeting a Minority without Alienating the Majority: Advertising to Gays and Lesbians in Mainstream Media,” Journal of Advertising Research, 48 (2), 191–98.[Crossref], [Web of Science ®], , [Google Scholar]; Um 2014 Um, Nan-Hyun (2014), “Does Gay-Themed Advertising Haunt Your Brand?,” International Journal of Advertising, 33 (4), 811–32.[Taylor & Francis Online], [Web of Science ®], , [Google Scholar]), we found that homosexual consumers react negatively toward heterosexual imagery.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Not sure that suggests one group is more or less prejudicial than another.

When you are the vast majority (i.e. heterosexual), it is easy to effectively ignore the examples of difference. When you are in the minority, it's often uplifting to come across someone else in that same minority. Kind of like how Giants fans must feel to come across another GWS supporter in the wild or something :)

So in the context of advertising, it would make sense that aiming your advert at a minority would increase your market reach / ROI.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My experience is that heterosexuals overwhelmingly don't care if someone is a homosexual, but there's definitely a higher propensity amongst homosexuals to make a political issue out of their sexuality, and it usually doesn't have a sound basis.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
My experience is that heterosexuals overwhelmingly don't care if someone is a homosexual, but there's definitely a higher propensity amongst homosexuals to make a political issue out of their sexuality, and it usually doesn't have a sound basis.
This is natural. This is what happens when a repressed minority finally has "equality", they go overboard and the balance that is sought ends up being tipped to the extreme. Things will (hopefully) settle in the middle as the years/decades go by.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This is natural. This is what happens when a repressed minority finally has "equality", they go overboard and the balance that is sought ends up being tipped to the extreme. Things will (hopefully) settle in the middle as the years/decades go by.

I suspect it's a form of lingering generational neurosis, that emerged from a not too distant time when homosexuals had real cause for concern.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
In my experience gay men are pretty easy going, lesbians much more likely to be political about their orientation. I'd say this has more to do with the difference between the sexes as opposed to their sexuality.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
My experience is that heterosexuals overwhelmingly don't care if someone is a homosexual

This may be true 40 years from now when everybody born before let's say the Bob Hawke years is dead or close enough.

but there's definitely a higher propensity amongst homosexuals to make a political issue out of their sexuality

How "political" do you think gays would be today if religion and society had said it was okay in 1919? Keep in mind religion in 2019 still won't say it's okay.

This may be true 40 years from now when everybody born before let's say the Bob Hawke years is dead or close enough.

How "political" do you think gays would be today if religion and society had said it was okay in 1919? Keep in mind religion in 2019 still won't say it's okay.
Current society is far larger than it was even fifteen years ago. You are no longer one of your five hundred large community, you are one of billions online. It's no surprise that people will run their unique point of difference up the flag pole to stand out in the maelstrom.

If you've self assigned significance to something in your life, it's made you special. That doesn't mean you'll celebrate it every chance you get, that's going to take a bit of extra self absorption.

People are entitled to promote a social agenda that best suits their ideal.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not when it's homophobic.
I'm not interested in deciding what is going to be acceptable to discuss, I'll leave that to the audience hearing it - but it would be better if everyone's prejudices were out in the open when dealing with them because then nobody would be able to mischaracterise someone else's words to suit their agenda or hide the real words they are saying behind hollow phrases.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He's getting tremendous support from people who think homophobia should be consequences free.

It's religious dogma that covers a wide scale of targets, and the fact you highlight one is indicative of the phenomena that I am describing.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Homophobia is a near universal cultural trait, that has persisted throughout history. There must be something to it to have survived so long.

The Athenians and others didn't appear to have any issues with it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He's getting tremendous support from people who think homophobia should be consequences free.

My factual point appears to have sailed straight over your head.

You are facilitating the very same phenomena which I have pointed out with this thread.

Homosexuals ARE more reactionary than heterosexuals.

Back