Are large monetary contracts disincentivizing players to play their best footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
As the title states, are large, long term-contracts actually making players too 'comfortable' and thus, not actually earning their worth?

I've thought this for a while, but it seems to be getting worse and worse, as time goes on. Players like Buddy and Ablett were offered massive contracts on long-term deals, but they were also very proud and competitively driven - and also came from clubs that instilled these values. This is why I think they managed to keep their standards at such a high level, despite their ridiculous contracts. The same cannot be said about the vast majority of overpaid players in the current upper payscale of player contracts.

This is a list of all players who have dropped off (from memory and in no particular order), when offered big contracts on long-term deals - that are still playing:

Coniglio
Whitfield
J Kelly
M. McGovern
Grundy
Lever
Motlop
Gibbs
Rockliff
Wingard
B. Hill
Polec
Sloane

There are probably more, and some that people will disagree with, but there is a clear trend in superstars/decent players not playing as well/completely dropping off after getting a new contract. Motlop was notorious for it, and that's why we were happy to see the back of him.

If you think about clubs that have enjoyed relative success - Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, West Coast etc. they've paid their stars a decent amount, but nowhere near what they'd command on the lopsided open market. It's why clubs will throw ridiculous amounts of money at players, alongside long-term contracts, all to prevent other clubs from beating them for the signature (trade or retaining player).

This also doesn't seem to help anyone, except the player whose worth goes through the roof, because they're going to a team further down the ladder/their current team wants to stop them from going to said high-paying team down the ladder. Either way, once that big contract has been signed, what is the incentive to put in the same effort they did before? They're set for the next 5 years, and just have to turn up. It doesn't benefit anyone, yet clubs seem to throw around these ridiculous amounts of money, rather than giving it to their own developing players. It's an epidemic ('scuse the pun given our current circumstances) that only seems to be getting worse as rebuilding clubs get more and more desperate to work their way up the ladder.

That's my two cents, what do others think?

Last edited:
Most on that list are outside players. As the game becomes increasingly a defensive scramble these players aren’t as useful as first thought. Similar for lead up forwards like ben brown.

That's a fair point actually, but I feel like Grundy, Sloane, Coniglio etc. are the players with the biggest drop offs, relative to their possible output. Obvs could be other factors, but it does seem coincidental that they all signed long-term deals last year and then dropped off a cliff this year

That's a fair point actually, but I feel like Grundy, Sloane, Coniglio etc. are the players with the biggest drop offs, relative to their possible output. Obvs could be other factors, but it does seem coincidental that they all signed long-term deals last year and then dropped off a cliff this year
MCG maybe a factor for Grundy??? Sloane playing in an average side now could have affected his motivation. Coniglio overrated in what was a gun midfield at the time and kicks on his left too much (might be carrying an injury). Covid has also affected certain players normal routines, small thing but does count. Good thread by the way.

In the old days, players got paid more money for a win than a loss (eg. $100 per player when they win and $65 per player when they lose) which obviously had a direct effect on motivation and desperation.

I'd really like to see the AFL allow clubs to stagger their player payments in a similiar fashion.

In the old days, players got paid more money for a win than a loss (eg. $100 per player when they win and $65 per player when they lose) which obviously had a direct effect on motivation and desperation.

I'd really like to see the AFL allow clubs to stagger their player payments in a similiar fashion.

There are big bonuses for winning a flag, but I agree there wouldnt be too many on performance based pay. Mostly the older players on single or 2 year contracts who have trigger clauses.

And even then they are probably game based, not win based.

I fully accept that this mentality is why I live in my parents basement and am not an elite footballer, but if I signed a 7-year $1 million per year deal, I would be rocking up to every training session smelling of Jack Daniels and garlic sauce from a late night souvlaki run (Richmond players take note, you're doing it wrong - you need the $1 million dollar contract first).

It would be foolish to think there is always a direct relationship but it would be equally foolish to think it would have no impact on some players. Some of these guys should be motivated by contending for flags, like Buddy early in his contract, but what is in it for a player like Grundy to try any more? The contract takes him all the way through his prime earning years. There's absolutely no reason on a personal level to care any more about how well he is playing.

$$$$ doesn't seem to affect the performances of players in the EPL, NBL, NFL etc.

eg. Lionel Messi earns $646,000 per WEEK :eek:.

As the title states, are large, long term-contracts actually making players too 'comfortable' and thus, not actually earning their worth?

Coniglio, Kelly, Grundy are the three that stand out to me.

Whitfield has been OK but the shorter quarters don't really suit a guy who's probably the best aerobic runner in the AFL these days.

A number of the guys on that list are a bit older, playing in struggling sides, or were never the primary KPD / KPF / Midfielder in their sides so were probably offered way more money than they should have been.

Grundy, Kelly & Coniglio have all really struggled by their standards though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few reasons, but I don't think it is a huge phenomenon. A few thoughts:
- confirmation bias. When a player on a large contract underperforms it is noticeable, but many players get large contracts and continue on their merry way
- publicity. Linked to above, but the performances of players on big contracts tend to get more scrutiny and it's thus noticed
- regression (to the mean, and age). Players tend to get those big, noticeable contracts when they are in their prime, often after their best season(s). Then when they step back to their average, or age/injury catches up, it is noticeable.

Also, I'm not sure it is as bad as made out. For example - Bryce Gibbs. His move to Adelaide was high-profile but it was his second big pay-day, so not much money involved. It was, however, a high profile move and he was... actually quite consistent afterwards.
In 2017 at Carlton: 26.8 disposals@69% efficiency, 1.4 shots at goal, 5.9 tackles - age 28 (interestingly his numbers were almost identical in 2016)
In 2018 at Adelaide: 25.9 disposals@66% efficiency, 1.3 shots at goals, 5.4 tackles - age 29

Always have to pay overs to pry players out of a team. Sometimes you don't know if a player is good or just looked good in a good team (McGovern, Lever)

McGovern and Lever basically played as the third best forward and defender in the Crows team, when they to went Carlton and Melbourne on these huge contracts, the expectation was that they would be the number 1 or 2 KPP, which is far far different when your getting the oppositions best or second best KPP.

You think Kyrgios cares he hasn’t won a major ? Check his net worth as he likes to mention more often than not.

Agree with this.

I am an unabashed Kyrgios fan. In an era of brilliant robots who have no personality (Federer, Nadal) and narcissistic pricks like the truly horrible Djokovic and overrated Zverev guys like Kyrgios and Andy Murray are a breath of fresh air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back