Are North Being Too Impatient With Their Rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bahaha classic Bigfooty, one poor season and the knives are out.
9 wins since round 11 last year, it's a bit more then one poor season. Had a horrible second half to last season.

Rubbish.

IMO the main reason for North's drastic slide down the ladder has been a lack of on field leadership.

Would North have lost 5 games by under a goal this season if Boomer was still playing, I doubt it.

Most rebuilding sides require experienced veterans to instill leadership qualities and the intangibles upon the incoming generation.

Boomer has those in spades, PLUS the bonus of a reasonably strong form line to justify his position.
Don't remember 2013? They lost a dickload of close games, including the Adelaide last quarter comeback and NicNat screamer games, and the roof was open game too. Pretty sure North would have one of the worst win-loss rates in games under 12 points of the last 5 years. Boomer was a gun player but a champion leader he wasn't (or at least in close games).

North's biggest mistake was not getting rid of the likes of Hansen, Thomas and Swallow at the end of last year as well. No good AND old.

I don't know why they chased Martin so hard, I don't think they are one star away from a flag. Chasing Kelly makes sense if they made some tuff calls and traded some of the older talent for more picks. But right now, like Richmond at the end of last year, there list looks really crap.

The Tiger army are certainly up and about. Would think 35 years of failure would teach them a bit about humility but nah, win one final against an overrated side and you all think there's a dynasty brewing. Here's a tip mate, your list is still pretty crap, but fortunately for you this is one of the poorest standard seasons in memory. Let's see how you go against a real quality September side.

North's problem is not recruitment. The abject failure to develop and improve players (same at the Pies) is the major problem.
Its a problem with small clubs in Vic in particular (except Dogs). We used to be able to do things smarter to make up for the lack of resources. But the big clubs do things just as smart now (except maybe Carlton) which leaves development 2-3 years behind - its part of what made the Dogs flag so hard to believe. Plus, not having been at the bottom there aren't the top draft picks in the squad so the players are starting from a bit further back.

I can't see how any small club can win a flag again, tbh. But I couldn't see the Dogs flag coming either.

The Tiger army are certainly up and about. Would think 35 years of failure would teach them a bit about humility but nah, win one final against an overrated side and you all think there's a dynasty brewing. Here's a tip mate, your list is still pretty crap, but fortunately for you this is one of the poorest standard seasons in memory. Let's see how you go against a real quality September side.

I suppose last season was a strong one then was it? Along with 96 and 99 too yes? ;)

No wonder North suck right now given they try to buy players from teams who have "pretty crap" lists.

Can you blame them for getting a little excited given for many fans it is the first time they would have seen any little bit of real success? Dare say Demons fans would be the same when their time comes as well.

Their sales pitch VHS must be a real downer, seems to put all the big fish off

Had a North fan tell me they landed a lot of stars lately, Waite, Higgins, Hrovat, lol

Can't all land Tippett and Bradshaw I guess :p

Though with $1.5 million to spend North may just take Money off your hands ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they are that bad off compared to other teams. The avg age was 25 in their last game.

on the weekend WCE had Hurn 30 / Jetta 28 / Kennedy 30 / Lecras 31 / Mackenzie 29 / Mitchell 34 / Priddis 32

with an average age of 27. so its hardly a huge difference between teams.
Wce won a final. Huge difference to fiinishing 17th.

Who else are they going to pay who's on their list right now? Nothing wrong with getting a big fish and front-loading the contract to lock them in.

They still have to meet the salary cap floor, so the money needs to be spent.
The problem is that they arent landing them. And aren't likely to because there are two other teams that are rebuilding (Carlton and Brisbane) which would be more attractive destinations simply because they have done a lot of the work already and started to turn it around. Whereas North are still on the way down.

So any star coming in is going to have to do a hell of a lot of heavy lifting without much help. I reckon that would put most off.

I'd say that any team rebuilding have to show some steps in the right direction in all facets of the football club before a big name would be tempted. Unless its for stupid money which has its own drawbacks regarding list management.

On field all Harvey did was chase kicks. He did it well but lets not presume he was Luke Hodge out there.

They had an experienced backline, Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow/Goldstein in the middle and Brown/Waite up forward, they weren't completely lost for on field leadership and I don't think there's a lot of talk about off field leadership being a problem.

They didn't win many games but at no stage were North noncompetitive or not developing players in a good environment this year.
Calling Waite a leader is a stretch. More likely to crack the sads or get suspended than to to rally the troops.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno about that champ.

Back in 2005 your club picked up the best player in the game and never went beyond a mediocre team.
This is the point though. Our recruiting around Juddy was atrocious. So was our front office and also club culture with clowns like Fev running around. So landing the big fish was wasted.

I prefer our approach over the last couple of years. I reckon we started from further back than you guys are now, but the work Carlton have put in since Malthouse was sacked puts us well ahead of North at the moment.

Go to the draft and get a bunch of kids to develop to add to the ones you already have. Give them a bunch of games for a year or two then go for the big acquisitions. That way you have a core of 10-15 coming through together.

Go to the draft and get a bunch of kids to develop to add to the ones you already have. Give them a bunch of games for a year or two then go for the big acquisitions. That way you have a core of 10-15 coming through together.

We have 15 players on the books that we have drafted in the previous 3 years.

11 of them debuted this season.

Franklin came to the Swans. Not the other way around.

Do you think he would have come had there not been a whopping deal on the table?

Maybe you'll get lucky and land a Franklin, or not so lucky and land a Tippett.

Teams with big money, COLA or otherwise, will throw it around and try and land the best players they can.

Do you think he would have come had there not been a whopping deal on the table?

Maybe you'll get lucky and land a Franklin, or not so lucky and land a Tippett.

Teams with big money, COLA or otherwise, will throw it around and try and land the best players they can.
Yes we offered him a great deal but there's a difference between a player telling you he wants to play for your club and the club begging him to play for you. North just look desperate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back