Are North Being Too Impatient With Their Rebuild?

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another thread about north melbourne. Thought we were irrelevant?

Let's all have an objective discussion about one of the most hated clubs in the AFL. Easy!

Last edited:
Lol are we going off the rising star now (a small group of ex players opinions)? I think we're capable of our own opinions

Allright in your opinion which of the 11 players that debuted for north this year do you think are capable of making the all Australian squad at some point in their career?

Thats Wright

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One season into a rebuild and its being rushed?

I don't blame management for trying to pick up some very good footballers, but the way it played out in the media was a bit odious. The board only said they approved going after the players, where did the figures keep coming from?

With regards to player development, the delistings last year helped in my opinion. If we were once again relying on boomer and dal to move the ball its taking away from opportunities for the kids to have a crack, which they did this year, and hopefully next year will be the better for it.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with anything we have done this off season-
-delisting people not performing
-assistant coach changes
-trying to sign plyers when we can afford to
-Brown is in contract talks for renewal
-injured players already done with surgery

Only thing i hope for next year is a healthy run for the list so i actually get to see them play.
It was odd that players who should now be cemented in the side like Dumont, Clarke, Preuss, Zurhaar all got shafted by Scott at the start of the rebuild and only really played as everyone broke down or embarrassed themselves.

It's a sad time when copying Richmond is a step up for the NMFC.

As shameful as it is, the honesty, team work, emotion, passion etc that's coming out of Richmond's team is superior to anything North's fraud coach is capable of implementing. If you're failing to meet Richmond's standards, you might as well pack it in.

Allright in your opinion which of the 11 players that debuted for north this year do you think are capable of making the all Australian squad at some point in their career?
Realistically, Simpkin, McKay and Pruess, although all have a way to go.

Realistically, Simpkin, McKay and Pruess, although all have a way to go.

Fair enough, I think you're being pretty realistic there. Pruess is a very good chance to do it some point IMO

Fair enough, I think you're being pretty realistic there. Pruess is a very good chance to do it some point IMO
McKay is the only questionable one, but he's a Tarrant clone.

Basically, north need to pick really well with their earlier picks to pick the aa-quality players, in particular classy mids.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Norths list isn't that bad. They were in a lot of games this year so could've moved up a few notches on the ladder with ease.

If they have the money it would be silly of them not to try and entice Martin or Kelly. So again not a bad thing either.

Not everyone can get extra cash and lure stars or bottom out from a suspension and get the #1 draft pick the same year .

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was odd that players who should now be cemented in the side like Dumont, Clarke, Preuss, Zurhaar all got shafted by Scott at the start of the rebuild and only really played as everyone broke down or embarrassed themselves.

It's a sad time when copying Richmond is a step up for the NMFC.

As shameful as it is, the honesty, team work, emotion, passion etc that's coming out of Richmond's team is superior to anything North's fraud coach is capable of implementing. If you're failing to meet Richmond's standards, you might as well pack it in.
Dumont played 19 games
Clarke 15
Preuss was injured/developing
Zurhaar was a bit stiff but hes developing too and time in the vfl was good for confidence.

Re: richmond, their core has been playing together for a while, ours is not even settled yet. The more everyone plays together and gels the better it will look.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This.

NMFC has consistently failed to develop their talent and is paying the price. I reckon Majak Daw's development at many other clubs would be far ahead of where he is now.

In chasing free agents they have reprised their hollow cheque book recruitment of the 1970s. Unfortunately for them they have the destination appeal of a cheap one way ticket to Iraq.
You numpty......u offer Daw as an example of a player we haven't developed.......but Ben Brown comes from the arse end of Tasmania via Werribee as pick in the mid 40~50 range.
He doesn't count I guess........yep we should of developed Maj because u say so.

Happy to read you hate my football club.....do it all day til the cows come home. But with stop your observations with s**t u don't know.

On EVA-L19 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gibson 31
Goldstein 29
Hansen 29
Higgins 29
Swallow 30
Tarrant 28
Thomas 29
Thompson 31
Waite 34

All except Waite played round 23.

Stuffed.
Gibson....waiting
Goldstein....FMD, go read his thread.
Hansen....No new contract
Higgins.....gun, re signed for 2 more
Swallow.... 1 yr left open to a trade.
Waite......is waiting for an extension.
Tarrant....gun what's the problem ?
Thomas ...another year left

Thompson (for those who say we can't develop players) unwanted by Geelong who ended up being an AA full bAck only 4 yrs ago....he is waiting.

You've plucked out these players.....3 of them have 1 yr on their current contract, the others could be finished.

On EVA-L19 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Thats Wright

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumont played 19 games
Clarke 15
Preuss was injured/developing
Zurhaar was a bit stiff but hes developing too and time in the vfl was good for confidence.

Re: richmond, their core has been playing together for a while, ours is not even settled yet. The more everyone plays together and gels the better it will look.
Was referring to the form of Preuss, Zurhaar dominating pre season and Clarke, Dumont getting bent over for Gibson/Swallow at the start of the year. Thomas shouldn't have been in the position to embarrass himself and the club.

Its unfortunate to be building again with a coach that has such a low ceiling. Until Scott breaks from his pecking order (employment stability) style development or learns what 'honesty' / 'passion' are, the club is just pissing down everyone's backs and setting up to fail.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Who wouldn't go after Dusty and Kelly if they had the cap space ?
We tried and both stayed at their respective clubs.
It's not exactly easy to pry these type of players from their clubs.

Hit the draft and buckle up for a rebuild now.

Replaced with better/classier/more skilled players?
From our current lot, sure we need to hit the draft for a few years to replace the lower quality players, but there's not much that North can do outside free agents.

From our current lot, sure we need to hit the draft for a few years to replace the lower quality players, but there's not much that North can do outside free agents.

I'm not saying there is. Just pointing out that you need to replace quite a few more than the 4 players you mentioned.

I'm not saying there is. Just pointing out that you need to replace quite a few more than the 4 players you mentioned.
Not immediately and it's not like we haven't used any draft picks for years on end.

Not immediately and it's not like we haven't used any draft picks for years on end.

No, not immediately. but you wont have any real hope of anything approaching success until you do.

Also, the longer you take, the more 'name' players will need to be replaced. Higgins will be 30 by the start of next season for example.

Back