Are Port over doing it

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definatley a big risk IMO but its a risk worth taking
What’s the big risk? All 10 of the 11 players who left were not best 22 (Trengove although being dropped was in our 22 imo), got all 3 big name for basically nothing, lots of young talent already (youngest best 22 in the finals), already well poisitioned in the 2018 afl draft (one 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders and two third rounders)..

What’s the big risk?

We don’t have issues attracting players to our club, when Boak, Gray etc retire what’s stopping us getting someone of significance in. We will have the cap space. Football is not as simple as if this doesn’t work out they are gunna have to rebuild. As I said earlier, we have heaps of best 22 talent that are under 25 years old. Just coz you don’t rate some doesn’t mean that they aren’t good.

Its obviously a risk but like so many are saying a risk worth taking. IIf I was ken I would take the risk his balls are on the line hes damn if he doesnt have a crack he probably goes anyway

But dont for one minute think there isnt a downside if it fails, how big a downside only time will tell that if infact it fails

What’s the big risk? All 10 of the 11 players who left were not best 22 (Trengove although being dropped was in our 22 imo), got all 3 big name for basically nothing, lots of young talent already (youngest best 22 in the finals), already well poisitioned in the 2018 afl draft (one 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders and two third rounders)..

What’s the big risk?

Probabvly you are punting on your top 22 retaining form and minimal injuries, which is an optomistic attitude but not one that may not work

Its great your defending your clubs decision but you must admit its a risk but nothing wrong with taking risks but risks have what you are risking if it fails

definitely not. why continue with the same deadwood that will probably lead to another season like their last three. bringing in these recruits might fail but it has a greater chance of success than sticking with the previous players.

Definatley a big risk IMO but its a risk worth taking

But what actually is the risk? We had pick 31 in this draft and that guy was hardly likely to improve us in the shorter term.

For that pick we traded in Watts. Yeah we all know the jokes, and he has never and never will live up to his pick 1, but his in his 2016 and first half of 2017 (prior to injury) he was averaging close to 2 goals a game. If he can do that at Port and give Dixon a chop out, that's all anyone can ask.
Rockliff FA, who is at least a B plus midfielder, adds depth, strength and class to the midfield.
Motlop FA, who's best is sublime. Can be flaky, but has played 150 games and also has class.

The guys we traded out were all depth or fringe players. We'll pick up some depth/fringe players in the upcoming draft. The 3 listed guys we brought in are definitely better than the guys we got rid of. I really don't see the risk? Sure if they all fail spectacularly everybody can point the finger and laugh, but it's definitely a "risk" worth taking IMO.

I am telling you what has been reported that they were on, not what they are getting.

Trengove was once highly rated believe it or not, and is a former bnf winner. Closer to 700k than not
And Impey has played nearly every game since arrive at the club, would definitely be in between 375k and 400k

Unless Port Adelaide are incompetent, they aren't the numbers.

I can't find any figures reported for either of those guys, but 19 year olds generally don't sign 400,000 contract extensions. Obviously it's all speculation, but I just wouldn't over estimate your cap room.

But what actually is the risk? We had pick 31 in this draft and that guy was hardly likely to improve us in the shorter term.

For that pick we traded in Watts. Yeah we all know the jokes, and he has never and never will live up to his pick 1, but his in his 2016 and first half of 2017 (prior to injury) he was averaging close to 2 goals a game. If he can do that at Port and give Dixon a chop out, that's all anyone can ask.
Rockliff FA, who is at least a B plus midfielder, adds depth, strength and class to the midfield.
Motlop FA, who's best is sublime. Can be flaky, but has played 150 games and also has class.

The guys we traded out were all depth or fringe players. We'll pick up some depth/fringe players in the upcoming draft. The 3 listed guys we brought in are definitely better than the guys we got rid of. I really don't see the risk? Sure if they all fail spectacularly everybody can point the finger and laugh, but it's definitely a "risk" worth taking IMO.

Most people are saying its worth the risk

The consequences if it fails may see a big gap before challenging again, it wont come without consequences

Port where hot and cold through out 2017.
Then they go and recruit arguably the 3 most up and down players. Rockcliff is defiantly the most consistent.
It will either work or massively backfire.
If Port miss the 8 in 2018 Hinkley has to go.

Probabvly you are punting on your top 22 retaining form and minimal injuries, which is an optomistic attitude but not one that may not work

Its great your defending your clubs decision but you must admit its a risk but nothing wrong with taking risks but risks have what you are risking if it fails
No I am not, I have already named plenty of young talent that isn’t best 22 yet,

I am using best 22 to show you that our best team is quite young, and adding experience is what we need.

Our SANFL team were 1 point away from a premiership, we have depth.

I don’t see the issues with what port have done, I don’t think there is any risk. Adding 3 quality players into your group for nothing is good. If we fail then that falls on Hinkley. But we won’t have to rebuild if we don’t win the premiership in the next 3 years. Have heaps of young talent coming through

It’s not like all is doomed if we don’t win a premiership in the next 3 years.

Wingard
Wines
SPP
Houston
Marshall
Clurey
Polec
DBJ
Hombsch
S.Gray
D.Howard

Are all (except probably Marshall, but young KPF already showed lots in his first year) best 22 and under 25 years old.

And that’s not even mentioning the likes of Atley, Drew, Frampton, Amon and Johnson who are all young and could be best 22 in the coming years

Pretty ordinary list right there, that's why it's not looking very good for you guys.
Compare this list to other teams and you guys are well behind in quality youngsters.

It's a lot of new to bring into the team all at once

Could go really well or it could be a total flop, does it have precedent?

Not saying we will win a flag, however giving ourselves the chance, isnt that what trading is for?

I wonder if past premiership teams that didn't bring in players in the same way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it they are rolling the dice. It pays off, they win a flag. It doesn't pay off, they don't. I don't see the big risk. It's not like they're giving up Wines and a top 5 pick to get these guys for a 1-2 year focus. They don't have much from the 14/15 drafts from getting Ryder and Dixon, but they used two first round picks last year and still have next year's picks.

Trengove for Rockliff cancels itself out. They gave up a guy that fell out of the 22 for a guy the think addresses an area of need.

Motlop and Watts they gave up salary cap space and a pick 31. Not selling the farm. They also traded out Lobbe who was on decent coin and not playing at all.

Their SF had a grand total of 4 players over the age of 27 with half 23 or under.

OUT: Impey + guessing Marshall, Amon, Howard, Bonner

IN: Rockliff, Motlop, Watts, Jonas, Hombsch

Handy changes, all they need to do is learn how to beat us at AO and they're sorted.

Pretty ordinary list right there, that's why it's not looking very good for you guys.
Compare this list to other teams and you guys are well behind in quality youngsters.
Very ordinary young list getting Port into the finals this year ...... agreed. No upside and everyone else's list will improve far quicker than ours.
Sack Kern.

No I am not, I have already named plenty of young talent that isn’t best 22 yet,

I am using best 22 to show you that our best team is quite young, and adding experience is what we need.

Our SANFL team were 1 point away from a premiership, we have depth.

I don’t see the issues with what port have done, I don’t think there is any risk. Adding 3 quality players into your group for nothing is good. If we fail then that falls on Hinkley. But we won’t have to rebuild if we don’t win the premiership in the next 3 years. Have heaps of young talent coming through

You havent done the wrong thing until it fails, its just a huge risk , but one Ken thought he had to make

But remember you cut 11 players probably with 1000 games of experience if that isnt depth I dont know what else to say

I think it isnt a bad move

But it wont come without consequences if it fails, that is why posters are critical, the alternative is to build at a slower rate

That’s true but no one got a flag by playing it safe - sometimes you just have to go for it. Port gave a lot of talented players hitting their prime; striking while they are hot is the most logical thing to do.

You havent done the wrong thing until it fails, its just a huge risk , but one Ken thought he had to make

But remember you cut 11 players probably with 1000 games of experience if that isnt depth I dont know what else to say
1000 games experience lol
Trengove 153
Impey: 75
Young: 76
Lobbe: 92
Ah Chee: 27
Austin: 13
White: 153
Palmer: 3
Eddy: 3
= 595
Motlop, watts and Rockliff: 442

* monfries and Krak retired so not on list

I think they did well.

Got rid of a whole bunch of list cloggers and recruited 3 decent players. In particular Rockliff will provide immediate improvement to their Midfield.

It's not like they paid a premium for any of them.
Trouble is the three Motlop watts and rocky aside they are replacing list cloggers with other teams list cloggers

Rocky will be ok if his shoulder holds together , watts is still unproven even after all this this time and Motlop is hot and cold

Not sure if the story's are true about port into many of the cast offs , be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back