Are recreational drugs performance enhancing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Because those drugs weren't banned for their weight loss effects. AOD was banned by WADA as a non approved substance. i.e. There are no governments or pharmaceutical associations that approve of it's use. From the WADA website "Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited at all times."

Clenbuterol was banned because it is a masking agent
So wada DGAF about "cutting agents", AKA drugs that help you lose skin folds, legal or illegal. Should they? Doesn't it represent an unfair advantage?

But, as for whether it is better for players to use illicit substances rather than alcohol if they decide to party, it's almost always better to opt for the former.
So the players that follow the rules and unwind with alcohol are punished by weight gain and decreased performance. Isn't this proof that the illegal drugs provide an unfair advantage?

So the players that follow the rules and unwind with alcohol are punished by weight gain and decreased performance. Isn't this proof that the illegal drugs provide an unfair advantage?

No, it's merely a factor of alcohol being the number one harm inducing drug (physical and societal effects). Alcohol is, in fact, performance enhancing in small amounts when administered prior to a performance (fine balance between the mental benefits of a small amount, and the severe impairments when in excess).

So wada DGAF about "cutting agents", AKA drugs that help you lose skin folds, legal or illegal. Should they? Doesn't it represent an unfair advantage?

No, WADA do care about the performance benefits of Clenbuterol; omit as incorrect in their assertion that Clenbuterol is a masking agent.

As for AOD, it has not been significantly proven in clinical trials to have any form of benefit, let alone revealing any side effects. The latter is the reason why it is banned off the bat; WADA do not want athletes pushing the boundaries and experimenting with substances that may or may not benefit them just because they're not explicitly banned on an individual basis, since these substances also have untold side effects. It's much safer to use a PED that has known benefits and detriments, rather than being a human guinea pig to gain that extra 1%, and WADA don't want to have deaths on their hands if substances like AOD can be used legally but ultimately result in conditions such as cancers or heart failure.

I mean, for the average footballer who dabbles in the off season, I doubt it.

For someone like Cousins? They obviously became performance enhancing in a sense. Maybe not in a physical sense, but physiologically - I remember he said he basically used them as a reward for pushing himself as hard as he could. And obviously he should have been in a rehab facility rather than playing AFL football. But winning a game of sport was seen as more important by multiple people than the health and well-being of Cousins.

There's a reason why testing positive for recreational drugs earns you a strike from the AFL instead of a 2 year ban from WADA.
1) if you are detected using recreational drugs on game day damn right you'll get a ban
2) strikes are only given for off-season and non-game day findings
3) you don't get a "ban from WADA" you get a ban from the sports governing body
4) it's not a 2 year ban, it's a 4 year ban
5) the only reason an AFL player gets a strike is because the AFL illicit drugs code goes over and above what the WADA code does
6) so there is absolutely no causal link between getting a strike v getting a ban, and the efficacy of illicit drugs as quasi PEDs

Last edited:
Yes they can be: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Rebagliati

"Medical Cannabis as a performance-enhancing drug

According to the Washington Post, there is widespread agreement that marijuana can put users in a relaxed and positive frame of mind (although some can experience feelings of anxiety and paranoia), and for that reason, it can be considered a performance-enhancing drug, providing an athlete serenity and confidence he or she might not otherwise have had.[5] A 2006 article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine stated that THC, the primary psychoactive compound in marijuana, “engenders a certain heaviness, marked relaxation, and excessive fatigue of the limbs.” The article also noted that, because the product is usually smoked, that practice can have “detrimental effects on the lungs, oral cavity and upper respiratory tract.” [6]

Ross Rebagliati is a firm believer that cannabis is a performance enhancer, and that usage can be helpful for some activities such as extreme sports, as it improves muscle relaxation, reduces anxiety, and extincts fear memories (e.g., negative experiences) leading to enhanced performance. It also improves sleep time and recovery, which may favour performance when an athlete is facing multiple competitions in a short period of time.[7]"

it is pretty sad about Zika virus when you think about it.

Ansell may see it as an opportunity, Durex will to, Trojan like Longmire, inserting zika and oversized priapse everywhere you you look,

wait,= skilts is it Priapus or priapse. it may be Priapus I think, cos Cherfs gammar filter capitalizes it. But skilts, you are the polymath of esoteric and recondite terminology for genitalia, it is quite the gift, I would say, go as far as saying, its a talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. I could imagine in small amounts you'd have to be constantly taking more to get a buzz and eventually your tolerance would just be off the charts. Then the side effects and comedowns would be horrendous for an athlete.

People have it all wrong with amphetamines. You might be wide awake, more alert etc but you're not in tune with everything around you at all, and on a footy field there's a lot involved in playing well and being under the influence of them makes absolutely no sense to me.

There were stories of ben cousins sightings during one particular off-season - apparently lost a huge amount of muscle.

Yeah because you dehydrate your body and stop eating
Sure you might pass the skin fold test but your body takes a beating

The only way I could see it being advantageous is If you trained all week and only went out on one night and took ice instead of alchohol then yeah

The only way I could see it being advantageous is If you trained all week and only went out on one night and took ice instead of alchohol then yeah
And I believe this is what many players are doing (probably more so with cocaine than ice). They can party and blow off steam, dropping body fat as they do so.

So those who break the rules are at an advantage over those who follow them, and only risk getting an anonymous strike. This is wrong, IMO.

And I believe this is what many players are doing (probably more so with cocaine than ice). They can party and blow off steam, dropping body fat as they do so.

So those who break the rules are at an advantage over those who follow them, and only risk getting an anonymous strike. This is wrong, IMO.

Yeah but the health risks associated with that certainly would disadvantage the player
From experience it heavily damages your memory and your decision making
No chance in hell it makes you a better player

Same as if a skinny player smoked weed before he ate to help him protein load .. would help him at the time but not many stoners are known for their ability to make quick decisions

The reason why players that use illicit drugs have an "advantage", as you put it, over their alcohol-drinking counterparts, is because alcohol is inherently worse for your health. Legality does not equate to health effects; very few banned drugs are more harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

This is not a matter to take up with the AFL's policy; it pertains to the systemic misunderstanding of drugs by the common people in society, particularly in Australia, given that this country glorifies "a beer in one hand, and a dart in the other".

Recreational drugs can be performance enhancing.

Not in the context of taking a shot of drug an hour before the game, but if you have someone who has an addiction and uses daily, if all of a sudden they stop using they struggle big time and there performance would drop dramatically. More of a performance maintainer.

There has been plenty of reports of Ice users feeling super human strength and taking multiple bullets to take them down. Surely that helps with a football player. I can't see how feeling like that wouldn't help your football.

Might not be performance enhancing as such but it's outright stupid to be doing that crap when you're supposed to be an athlete, very bad for your body.
Not to mention being a role model for children.

There has been plenty of reports of Ice users feeling super human strength and taking multiple bullets to take them down. Surely that helps with a football player. I can't see how feeling like that wouldn't help your football.

Aside from when you might go all Mike Tyson on someone and bite someones ear off...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back