Opinion Are Richmond hitting the slope?

Remove this Banner Ad

How confident are you about Richmond's ability to bounce back, and regularly compete for finals and flags like Geelong and West Coast do, as opposed to being just a flash in the pan, ala Norf in the mid-late 90's?

Lol how old are you?

Flash in the pan in the mid to late 90's?

We should of won 93' and we were even decent in 91.

We finished in the top 4 in 6 seasons and played off in 3 x grand finals and another 5 prelim's in years we didn't make the big dance.

When exactly did West Coast make 8 x prelims or better in a 10 year span?

That all conquering Geelong side that you are lauding only managed 7 prelims or better in a 12 year span.....

Last edited:

With the Covid environment do you get the impression some players have checked out for the season?
I think it's partly because no crowds at the game and hard to get up for a season that less people care about when you have had 3 great years.

A lot of senior players are probably a bit happy with their careers already

Well if you look at their best 6 players:

Alex Rance - Gone
Jack Riewoldt - 31
Trent Cotchin - 30
Dustin Martin - 29
Dylan Grimes - 29 (in 2 weeks)
Tom Lynch - 27

I think they are on the decline, but realistically they probably have this season and next before we see the big drop. Rance is gone & Riewoldt looks past it, but Cotchin still has a couple of seasons left playing good footy, as does Dusty & Grimes. But yeah, can't see them playing finals in 2022. Same has been said about Geelong though for like 8 years..

Still think they can compete this year and possibly next. GWS & Collingwood are looking much better atm though..

I know they won in 2019 without Rance, but not having the best KPD of this decade and Jack Riewoldt looking like he should be in the 2's hurts them a lot when they rely on their stars.

But yeah, can't see them playing finals in 2022. Same has been said about Geelong though for like 8 years..

Still think they can compete this year and possibly next. GWS & Collingwood are looking much better atm though..
Once gil and Hocking finish all their rule changes and tweaks we'll see a max running speed restriction in place which means all the older guys can stick around till their mid 40s

Before going out without even a whimper and being a cellar dweller team for 30 years.

Sounds out of Punt Road aren't good.

Apparently the club and administrators are resentful that they have worked so hard to get the club to a place where it is no longer a laughing stock just for Covid-19 to bring them back to the pack.

The club overpays it's stars and underpays it's role players. Role players are happy to go along with this due to the understanding that they will enjoy a lot of success at Richmond, however, if the wins aren't coming, they're more vulnerable to offers by rival clubs.

To top it all off, Richmond stars, like Houli, Edwards, and Riewoldt, may opt to stay home (while getting paid) and not enter the hub, while lesser paid players are all interstate away from family doing all the grunt work for the team and the club.

It's a breeding ground for resentment and envy.

That's the exact environment that saw Cloke and Raines jump ship when Rioli made the trip over to Punt Road.

Sounds very early 1980's don't you think?
No it sounds pretty funny.... like you are making things up and prefacing it all by using words like ...apparently... to top it all off...

it's almost like you are not in Perth at all.

Alex Rance - Gone
Jack Riewoldt - 31
Trent Cotchin - 30
Dustin Martin - 29
Tom Lynch - 27

I think they are on the decline, but realistically they probably have this season and next before we see the big drop. Rance is gone & Riewoldt looks past it, but Cotchin still has a couple of seasons left playing good footy, as does Dusty & Grimes. But yeah, can't see them playing finals in 2022. Same has been said about Geelong though for like 8 years..

I know they won in 2019 without Rance, but not having the best KPD of this decade and Jack Riewoldt looking like he should be in the 2's hurts them a lot when they rely on their stars.
I'd agree with next year being our last crack with the current core. From there it really depends on what the club chooses to do next - try to top up while we still have appeal to gun players, or a traditional rebuild.

Alex Rance - Gone
Jack Riewoldt - 31
Trent Cotchin - 30
Dustin Martin - 29
Tom Lynch - 27

The ages you mentioned there you will find in many clubs.
Four players over 30 on the list doesn't make us old. Riewoldt is the only one showing any ware and tear, Houli perhaps with injuries but AA last year.
But our reserves team is very strong with some very good young players ready and waiting for a spot.
As you say we've been waiting for the Hawks and Geelong to bottom out for years.

The ages you mentioned there you will find in many clubs.
Four players over 30 on the list doesn't make us old. Riewoldt is the only one showing any ware and tear, Houli perhaps with injuries but AA last year.
But our reserves team is very strong with some very good young players ready and waiting for a spot.
As you say we've been waiting for the Hawks and Geelong to bottom out for years.

Not really, 4/5 of your best players will be 30 next season and Rance is gone.

Here would be our best 5 players for comparison:
Jackson Macrae - 25
Marcus Bontempelli - 24
Josh Dunkley - 23
Aaron Naughton - 20
Bailey Smith - 19

Even our older guys like Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen, Tom Liberatore are 25-28 if you want to supplement them instead of Smith/Naughton.

Most clubs don't have their best 5 players in their 30's (or approaching). Geelong is probably the only other team I can think of. Even other solid guys like Astbury, Houli and Edwards are 29, 31 & 32.

Youre issue is your best players are 29+ besides Tom Lynch & Dion Prestia (who will both be 28 next season). Your depth are on peanuts and without success will leave, I also don't think your list bats as deep as your fans do.

Honestly, your team is old. I still think you will contend this year and maybe next, but I think Richmond drops off in 2022 and misses finals. Calls this year are premature, but genuinly would be very surprised if you make finals in 2022, but lots can change in 2 years.

Not really, 4/5 of your best players will be 30 next season and Rance is gone.

Here would be our best 5 players for comparison:
Jackson Macrae - 25
Marcus Bontempelli - 24
Josh Dunkley - 23
Aaron Naughton - 20
Bailey Smith - 19

Even our older guys like Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen, Tom Liberatore are 25-28 if you want to supplement them instead of Smith/Naughton.

Most clubs don't have their best 5 players in their 30's (or approaching). Geelong is probably the only other team I can think of. Even other solid guys like Astbury, Houli and Edwards are 29, 31 & 32.

Youre issue is your best players are 29+ besides Tom Lynch & Dion Prestia (who will both be 28 next season). Your depth are on peanuts and without success will leave, I also don't think your list bats as deep as your fans do.

Honestly, your team is old. I still think you will contend this year and maybe next, but I think Richmond drops off in 2022 and misses finals. Calls this year are premature, but genuinly would be very surprised if you make finals in 2022, but lots can change in 2 years.
Of course we are older than most, this is what happens when you stay up the top for some time. But none of you and most of us would never have rated players like Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Astbury until the last few years. Players get better as they get older in general.

It was no co-incidence that you went backwards after your GF because some of your older players who had been great players left or were injured. Now 4 years down the track you are rebuilding nicely. There is plenty of talent in our young players like Stack, Bolton, Ross, Balta and some who have yet to break in who are knocking the door down. We beat St.Kilda reserves by 90pt's on the weekend and they won by 60+ in three quarters the week before. Plus the Grand Final in 2019. But it is hard to break into Premiership sides.

Also in this age of players moving around, it is not difficult to attract players like Lynch for example. Having said that, we will like you go backwards before we go forwards again, as is normal with all sides.

Started s**t last year. Early days. In any case they'v kicked ass for 3 years snagging 2 flags. They're pretty ok regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back