Opinion Are Richmond trying to copy the Patriots blueprint?

Remove this Banner Ad

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm hoping for sustained success a little closer to home actually aka.. the Hawks, Swans & Cats but using a blueprint which wins Finals & GF's (unlike the Cats & Swans). So in ten years the "Richmondy" association is distant bad memory, now being replaced by fear & respect. The biggest concern are our Club leaders all approaching or above 30 (Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Edwards & Houli) and Martin & Grimes hitting 29 next year. Trade & the Draft is going to be crucial if this going to work, luckily in that department Richmonds never looked better.

I do follow NBA and spurs do have an amazing culture. But also I reckon from Richmond you’d only have to look across the Road to a club called Melbourne Storm to see another insanely good club and culture.

Like the pats the storm are a bunch of cheats :p

This year was much about the Detroit Red Wings. I wrote in my Preseason Camp blog about that and our aims for the season. Damien gave a great presentation as to why. Involved process, Russia, sustained success and connectivity. He presented Red Wings tee shirts to all in attendance afterwards. Cherish mine greatly.

Haere Ra

So we are going to recruit an afl pavel datsyuk from Russia?
The wings are the bad guys of the nhl :p

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
This year was much about the Detroit Red Wings. I wrote in my Preseason Camp blog about that and our aims for the season. Damien gave a great presentation as to why. Involved process, Russia, sustained success and connectivity. He presented Red Wings tee shirts to all in attendance afterwards. Cherish mine greatly.

Haere Ra
Sssshhhhhh bloody shsssssssh, youve said too much already coll intel (sorry for oxymorons) pores over this site , cue for Buckley to be handing out t shirts this pre season

So we are going to recruit an afl pavel datsyuk from Russia?
The wings are the bad guys of the nhl :p

The Red Wings were best at intergrating Russian talent collectively versus other teams going the lone Russian star route. Was a key theme for us.

Haere Ra

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we’d be crazy not to be copying other hyper successful teams globally.
I reckon copying 'success' is done everywhere...sport, business at work!, politics, organizations, music, etal...'copying' success is the band-aid of lazy thinking!
I reckon the harder part is the 'buying in' of all involved with the leaders all the way to the top doing 'the talk'...once that critical mass of acceptance and support is accepted...then on-going excellence has to be supported and acknowledged...refined...developed...rewarded...
If your doing it right...it's been talked about, copied, written about...if not your just a follower! Part of the Pack Mentality chasing success!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
NFL is different, they have the GOAT coach and QB in the same team. The QB is arguably the most influential individual position in any team sport, so if you combine those 2 factors for the best part of 20 years, you already have a huge leg up on your opponents.

They are hated, but they are successful, it would be incredibly hard to replicate that in the AFL because of those factors, and player acquisition and movement is a lot easier over there. You can pull random unsigned gems from anywhere most of the time and there are excessive trading and roster change opportunities all through the year, so it's easier to fill gaps quickly to stay at the top if your QB and Coach are all time.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
NFL is different, they have the GOAT coach and QB in the same team. The QB is arguably the most influential individual position in any team sport, so if you combine those 2 factors for the best part of 20 years, you already have a huge leg up on your opponents.

They are hated, but they are successful, it would be incredibly hard to replicate that in the AFL because of those factors, and player acquisition and movement is a lot easier over there. You can pull random unsigned gems from anywhere most of the time and there are excessive trading and roster change opportunities all through the year, so it's easier to fill gaps quickly to stay at the top if your QB and Coach are all time.
Reminds me of Melbourne Storm tbh...

I do follow NBA and spurs do have an amazing culture. But also I reckon from Richmond you’d only have to look across the Road to a club called Melbourne Storm to see another insanely good club and culture.
I’ve actually thought for a long time we’ve got quite a few similarities in playing list make up with the Storm, as in guys not getting picked up right away coming and really excelling at their role and being criminally underrated by the rest of the competition mixed in with some of the absolute superstars of the competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady looks better because of his offensive line, and because Gronk catches everything.

Lol gronk doesnt even play for the pats anymore and we are still the only 5 and 0 team in the league.

Facts are the goat makes recievers look better because he is the goat.

a lot of salt in here from you Patriots haters, suck it up!

Not a lot of love for a couple of my teams:
New England Patriots
Melbourne Storm

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
We are actually copying the Richmond of the 60's/70's.
From a results perspective yes, the administration then though was brutal and ruthless. It wouldn't work with the current player's headspace and sensitivities. The prior ruthlessness and reputation won us a number of flags in another era but also consigned us to 3 decades of mediocrity.

TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
I really despise New England (the brand) but that article actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. With the recent exception of Antonio Brown you would have to say that most of its decisions are proven right.

PremiershipTigers

The Yellow and Black Dynasty Awaits
Apr 20, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Interestingly Cameron Schwab references the Patriots in this article too

And after 2016 Dimma spent a bit of time 'studying' management at Harvard which happens to be in one of the Patriots home states.
Wasn't that Benny? Pretty sure the AFL sent him there for an intensive 8 week business management course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back