Opinion Are Richmond trying to copy the Patriots blueprint?

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

this may need a thread on its own
I think you're right,

But maybe under this title.....

'Are Richmond trying to replicate the Patriots dominance?' Especially after this comment.....

"It is a strange, frightening world we are living in now where Richmond are the closest thing we have to the New England Patriots and the San Antonio Spurs."

Thanks to JAKLAUGHING for putting up this link.

My reply to his post......

"Thanks for posting those articles....

After reading them, there are some pertinent points that definitely relate to how our recruiting and management has been developing, specifically this little quote from the 2nd article....

"mentioned Patriots undrafted sleeper Jakobi Meyers as an example of their typical value pickup: “I thought he was going to be a fourth-round pick when we invited him [to the Senior Bowl]. I was shocked he didn’t get picked,” Nagy said. “But he’s so crafty. He finds the angles. He moves through traffic really well."

Almost sums up what happened with Stack and Pickett this year.

I, for one, would be gobsmacked if we are not 'taking a leaf' out of the Patriots book. They have been the most successful team over the last 20 years, maybe a little bit of education for Dimma was organised during his trip to the U.S. after 2016. Cos I see a lot of similarities in how the Tigers organisation is run now and since that epiphone."

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yucky!
I hate how everything gets compared to s**tty American sports.
I get that.....but the Patriots have been top of the tree for decades and I don't see any reason why we can't learn from their success (and their failures) Mainly cos I want to see the Tigers at the top of the food chain for decades.

I get that.....but the Patriots have been top of the tree for decades and I don't see any reason why we can't learn from their success (and their failures) Mainly cos I want to see the Tigers at the top of the food chain for decades.
I don’t follow it at all but I’m guessing they don’t have the not so subtle equalization mindset the AFL do

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you're right,

'Are Richmond trying to replicate the Patriots dominance?' Especially after this comment.....

"It is a strange, frightening world we are living in now where Richmond are the closest thing we have to the New England Patriots and the San Antonio Spurs."

After reading them, there are some pertinent points that definitely relate to how our recruiting and management has been developing, specifically this little quote from the 2nd article....

"mentioned Patriots undrafted sleeper Jakobi Meyers as an example of their typical value pickup: “I thought he was going to be a fourth-round pick when we invited him [to the Senior Bowl]. I was shocked he didn’t get picked,” Nagy said. “But he’s so crafty. He finds the angles. He moves through traffic really well."

I, for one, would be gobsmacked if we are not 'taking a leaf' out of the Patriots book. They have been the most successful team over the last 20 years, maybe a little bit of education for Dimma was organised during his trip to the U.S. after 2016. Cos I see a lot of similarities in how the Tigers organisation is run now and since that epiphone."
Im Sure dimma referenced the spurs to something for motivation in post gf pressers didn’t resonate as I don’t follow nfl

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Interestingly Cameron Schwab references the Patriots in this article too

And after 2016 Dimma spent a bit of time 'studying' management at Harvard which happens to be in one of the Patriots home states.

Im Sure dimma referenced the spurs to something for motivation in post gf pressers didn’t resonate as I don’t follow nfl
He said they were discussing dynasties at the start of 2019 and that even great teams drop one or two and have bad days. Dimma mentioned the spurs and the detroit redwings

Oct 6, 2004
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
United, KV Mechelen
Dimma has been on record as being influenced by the Spurs and given how Pop has created such a caring culture and respect there I can see similarities. As for the dirty cheating Patriots ? I can think of nothing worse. Incredibly successful yes, but abhorrent in the way they have gone about it and nothing like what Dimma, Benny and Peggy have developed at Richmond. Possible similarities recruiting wise notwithstanding

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you're right,

Just read it , quite a few parallels , with the patriot way v Richmond man, our trademark plan , wouldn’t call us aggressive traders however we do recruit players to fill a role . And I do feel that oppo are bamboozled at best way to crush our game style
I see us as the most progressive club in a whole lot of ways , I hadn’t considered this part

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma has been on record as being influenced by the Spurs and given how Pop has created such a caring culture and respect there I can see similarities. As for the dirty cheating Patriots ? I can think of nothing worse. Incredibly successful yes, but abhorrent in the way they have gone about it and nothing like what Dimma, Benny and Peggy have developed at Richmond. Possible similarities recruiting wise notwithstanding
Fair enough....maybe they've studied the successful teams in different codes and have tried to bring in the best ideas from all of those organisations. I suppose it would be the smartest thing to do.

No_Spoke

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you're right,

Cats must reckon this is all unfair..Australian/American club president and all that..

Lol the pats have 2 things going for them, arguably the greatest coach of all time and the GOAT quarter back taking massive unders because his missus is ******* loaded so he can get the best possible team around him.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I also follow Everton ⚽
& Richmond (they had a pretty lean run for a while there)
Masochist.

Lol the pats have 2 things going for them, arguably the greatest coach of all time and the GOAT quarter back taking massive unders because his missus is ******* loaded so he can get the best possible team around him.
And they did have the GOAT tight end (only cos Richo didn't play), the Gronk. Still got Edelman but Gronk is a massive loss.

I do follow NBA and spurs do have an amazing culture. But also I reckon from Richmond you’d only have to look across the Road to a club called Melbourne Storm to see another insanely good club and culture.

Masochist.

And they did have the GOAT tight end (only cos Richo didn't play), the Gronk. Still got Edelman but Gronk is a massive loss.

Edelman and to a lesser extent gronk look better because of brady

This year was much about the Detroit Red Wings. I wrote in my Preseason Camp blog about that and our aims for the season. Damien gave a great presentation as to why. Involved process, Russia, sustained success and connectivity. He presented Red Wings tee shirts to all in attendance afterwards. Cherish mine greatly.

Haere Ra

Back