Are South African racial quotas hurting the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Borderline

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
The South African national team hasn't won a test since January, the standard of the domestic system in SA, once considered the second strongest behind Australia's has declined markedly recently.

Earlier this year the racial make up quotas for franchise teams in South Africa, the equivalent of our Sheffield Shield teams was amended to include 6 "people of colour", 3 of which have to be black Africans. The level below - provincial cricket must include 7 non whites and 4 black Africans.

The national team has to include 4 non whites, however I'm not sure how strongly this is enforced. It's worth noting that players like Tahir and Amla who are of Pakistani descent - a group that have no history of racial discrimination in SA, which is the supposed reason for the quotas, are included in this number.

Cricket in South Africa is predominantly a white sport, and the vast majority of the black population does not take an interest in it. So my question is whether these racial quotas are hindering the depth and future of the game in SA.

By forcing more talented white players, particularly younger players, to play below their level in inferior grades of cricket to allow sub standard non-white players to play first class cricket, how does this help either party? Exposing players who aren't ready to play First Class cricket to that level of opposition is a terrible way of developing them.

Of course it makes sense both commercially and for the future of the game amid demographic changes to try and promote cricket to the black majority, but the government and CSA would be better off investing more in school age programs and junior cricket to attract and develop black players from a young age, rather than preventing superior players from playing at the international or first class level because of racial quotas.

Of course this isn't saying non-white players of South African heritage (Blacks and Coloureds) shouldn't play first class or international cricket, there have been a number of quality players from these backgrounds such as Ntini, Philander, Duminy and Alviro Peterson, but I would much prefer future players of non-white backgrounds to have earnt their position based on ability rather than because of their skin colour. I strongly believe politics has no place in sport, and that includes racial quotas.

It's highly possible that the national team's current woes aren't just a bad patch of form, but the beginning of a long term decline.

Discuss

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/855925.html

Last edited:

Have they not won a Test since January? Far out. Looks like they won't be beating England in the 1st Test either, getting absolutely thrashed.

Their batting is a lot worse, have been bowled out for less than 200 a lot more frequently. Morkel is probably their best fast bowler atm, can't see Steyn having too long left in Tests.

What's happened to Philander? Has he been injured a lot?

Solid ignorance from the majority in here.

If you can't work out why the quota system is in place there is no point discussing it.

As Peter Roebuck always used to say - you can't say politics has no place in sport in a country that operated under an Apartheid system for 50 years.

The quota system didn't seem to be hurting them too much 18-24 months ago

• Banned

If you can't work out why the quota system is in place there is no point discussing it.

As Peter Roebuck always used to say - you can't say politics has no place in sport in a country that operated under an Apartheid system for 50 years.

The quota system didn't seem to be hurting them to much 18-24 months ago

Did you miss the part where the quotas were increased this year?

Apartheid destroyed South Africa and with a less magnanimous first democratic President the place could have gone in all horrible directions. Opportunity quotas are necessary or it'll take centuries for anything resembling parity to happen.

From a pragmatic standpoint CSA needs black South Africans' support for future revenue. Whites are less than 9% of the country.

You say "I strongly believe politics has no place in sport". That's nearly ******* impossible when we're talking about South Africa because of the warped history and because CSA has its hand out to the government for funding.

The quota system didn't seem to be hurting them too much 18-24 months ago

Agree about the Roebuck quote and I never agreed with him on principle.

Steyn and Philander being injured (and Steyn is getting more injury prone) at the same time is hurting them more than anything else.

You can't replace Steyn regardless of who you pick.

Apartheid destroyed South Africa and with a less magnanimous first democratic President the place could have gone in all horrible directions. Opportunity quotas are necessary or it'll take centuries for anything resembling parity to happen.

From a pragmatic standpoint CSA needs black South Africans' support for future revenue. Whites are less than 9% of the country.

You say "I strongly believe politics has no place in sport". That's nearly ******* impossible when we're talking about South Africa because of the warped history and because CSA has its hand out to the government for funding.
I agree that CSA have their hands tied by the government and have to comply with their racial quotas, but I'm saying they're fundamentally flawed and it's the wrong way to go about developing real quality non white players.

Having said that the ANC is incompetent and the whole country is going downhill at a rapid pace. But it shouldn't mean cricket has to as well

It's impossible when you talk about most countries. The Sri Lankan govt is all over the cricket board and there are links are between the BCCI and the Indian govt.

And let's not get started on Zimbabwe...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the quotas will end up pissing everyone off and mean just a crap national team.

Do they have quotas in rugby union?

Yes. Not in Soccer though, which is a black dominated sport.

Yes, but you can't give places in a sporting team to someone just because they are black. If you're not good enough, you miss out, no matter what colour you are. Trying to right past wrongs by forcing teams to include 'people of colour' will eventually cripple the game at the top level, if it isn't to a degree already.

Do the quotas hurt them in Union?
Not really, there are a number of good non-white players, far more than cricket. You quite often see black front rowers and such, which are not overly technical positions and more about strength. I think the quotas refer to the whole squad rather than just the starting team so you might seen a number of non white players on the bench who don't actually come on the field.

Yes, but you can't give places in a sporting team to someone just because they are black. If you're not good enough, you miss out, no matter what colour you are. Trying to right past wrongs by forcing teams to include 'people of colour' will eventually cripple the game at the top level, if it isn't to a degree already.

Black players who aren't good enough would get dropped for other black players.

Very good post. If it were the other way around, the cries of racial discrimination by the Left would be unfathomable. But because it's limiting the amount of whites that can play, it's fair game. What a s**t country South Africa is.

Future Steyn's , Smiths , Kallis ,etc..
will have a really hard time getting through the system and getting a game. Gradually trying to phase out the white south africans players with harsh rules will kill them long term. Do they want a future where they operate on the same level as Zimbabwe ?

will have a really hard time getting through the system and getting a game. Gradually trying to phase out the white south africans players with harsh rules will kill them long term. Do they want a future where they operate on the same level as Zimbabwe ?

Seems where they are headed. More of the white South Africans have already left the country.

It's not just about the short-term though.

Kids watching sport want to see role models they relate to, it might make them take up the sport and like it or not, colour is a tribal identifier.

Posted in the other thread that I don't think quotas are needed at the national level. Selection and performance is so public, results are there for all to see. If teams are losing then coaches/selectors get sacked. It is in their interests to pick the best team because it is their career on the line.

It is at the lower levels and junior levels where quotas are needed. There still exists a very strong 'master race' mentality among some South African people and at these levels away from any scrutiny they would be free to pick their teams based on colour, family name, what school you went to, social standing etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back