Are the Dees on the verge of something great? - will they make the top 4?

Culture problem at the demons?

• yes?

Votes: 83 40.9%
  • no?

Votes: 71 35.0%
  • Unprecedent?

Votes: 49 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They played finals from 2006-2010 with a contingent of players (Murphy, Boyd) playing in 3 preliminary finals 08-10. Melbourne have little to no finals experience and certainly none as a team combined.

Melbourne have at least 6 players who have played finals.

I don't think the fact they haven't won a final in over a decade has any relevance to what they may be able to achieve this year.

Had Melbourne 5th on my ladder this season and still maintain that opinion.

Next season will be there year for top four and genuinely challenging.

Seriously these threads after round 1 are becoming that annoying it isn't funny! It's almost like people have no followers on twitter or isntsgram or friends on Facebook so they feel compelled to start threads here so people give them attention

You did beat us in 2015 at Simonds which is no small feat. Having said that, we were probably at our lowest point in ten years then.

What concerned me last year about Melbourne was its inability to stem the flow when other clubs got a run on. Fast forward twelve months from your shock victory over us, we proceeded to pants you by well over 100 points.

Huge losses should be viewed as completely unacceptable for Melbourne this year. If Melbourne can be competitive in every game, even when things aren't going well, it will go a long way to convincing me that as a club they're making inroads to success.
Way too much is being read into a round 23 defeat from the youngest team in the competition who were cooked. Our next worst defeat for the entire year was 55 points.

Not his fault but I reckon the club got into a real grief-induced funk when Jim Stynes passed. Enough time has now elapsed for that not to be a factor anymore.

Seriously these threads after round 1 are becoming that annoying it isn't funny! It's almost like people have no followers on twitter or isntsgram or friends on Facebook so they feel compelled to start threads here so people give them attention

Demons have a long way to go, much work still needs to be done.

1/ Club is investing heavily in development, so irrespective who they pick they have every opportunity to reach their full potential.

- Gone are the days of focusing on a player's draft pick number, the draft is irrelevant if you have the right people and the right development structures.

2/ Roos did an outstanding job as a coach and mentor, both on & off-field. He addressed the real problems and was never backward in addressing them - even on live TV. He had the "street cred" and the will to listen to the right people.

- Roos 3 year tenure was a stroke of genius. There was never one day he went into "self-preservation mode" ... which was rife at the MFC in the past

3/ PJ is the consummate professional AFL CEO

- Unbound by politics is a huge thing at an AFL football club. Huge thanks must go to the AFL here ( AD especially ) and Jacksons refusal to give the "faceless keyboard warriors" a voice or a vote where it counts.

"Leadership is not about the next election, it's about the next generation." Its inclusive of both male & female - good bye misogyny ... geez it was fun.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should at least push for a top 4 spot this year. Personally I'm expecting by the end of the season that we're in the top 6. Regardless of Melbourne's previous struggles under Bailey and Neeld as well as some having doubts over the Dees because of previous "false dawns", I highly doubt under Goodwin and with the crop of impressive talent we have that this will be a "false dawn". The "veil of negativity" that is exhibited by some of our fans over the past 10 years should dissipate as our performances improve and it should become less prevalent when Melbourne become a serious challenger in the near future which is the expectation shared by Dees and AFL fans alike. Right now, I'd consider us the team most likely to make the top 8 this year from outside and generally with 2-3 new teams entering the top 8 every year, I'd be surprised if we weren't one of those teams. If we don't make top 4 this year, then at the very least it should be in 2018.

The list has really come together, good at both ends and the making of top midfield.

Consistency is what they will struggle with but i think will get close but more of a 5th -7th finish seems likely.

So are the Bombers ... it was awesome to see Neeldy smiling after the game at the MCG ... great bloke, hard working and great for football to see your blokes get up and win.

Yeah pretty stoked

Almost shed a tear when the players ran through the banner the noise of the crowd when they appeared was awesome. from all reports Neeldy is a great person just wasn't made for coaching.

My footy club is back :)

Way too much is being read into a round 23 defeat from the youngest team in the competition who were cooked. Our next worst defeat for the entire year was 55 points.
Sure. And I wasn't having a shot, either. However, if Melbourne is to be taken seriously in 2018, there should be zero 100+ point losses in 2017.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty stoked

Almost shed a tear when the players ran through the banner the noise of the crowd when they appeared was awesome. from all reports Neeldy is a great person just wasn't made for coaching.

My footy club is back :)

So you should be ... I nearly shed a tear it was great for football. Lets not forget what has happened, lets learn from it and finally football can move on.

Back