Are the Dees on the verge of something great? - will they make the top 4?

Culture problem at the demons?

• yes?

Votes: 83 40.9%
  • no?

Votes: 71 35.0%
  • Unprecedent?

Votes: 49 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Round 3? Surely that will be a better barometer.

And are you saying St Kilda aren't a quality opponent?

We certainly weren't on Saturday. I'd put how we played at a similar level to our game against GC last year (in similar conditions, interestingly enough). I thought the scoreline flattered us tbh, it was witches hats after Q1.

I picked R8 because then you'll have had Cats, Hawks, and Crows away. Not sure where Hawks are at but they've enough champions in their side to be a handful on any given Sunday (as it were). I doubt the Tigers and Dons will be pushovers either. If you're 5 - 2 (or maybe even 6 - 1) and then roll the Crows at AO I'd say that's a watershed moment and would be right on Demons for Top 4 & a prelim.

We certainly weren't on Saturday. I'd put how we played at a similar level to our game against GC last year (in similar conditions, interestingly enough). I thought the scoreline flattered us tbh, it was witches hats after Q1.

I picked R8 because then you'll have had Cats, Hawks, and Crows away. Not sure where Hawks are at but they've enough champions in their side to be a handful on any given Sunday (as it were). I doubt the Tigers and Dons will be pushovers either. If you're 5 - 2 (or maybe even 6 - 1) and then roll the Crows at AO I'd say that's a watershed moment and would be right on Demons for Top 4 & a prelim.
I don't think we're rolling the Crows at AO, but I don't think anyone will roll them there.

Apart from that, I still think it's an interesting point given you're using Rd23 as part of your argument. Because in Rd20 last year we did beat the Hawks. So that has to factor in too.

I'm not of the opinion that we are a top 4 side by the way; honestly, if we get there it will be as much about our draw (2x Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Adelaide; 12 games at the MCG) as about the actual side. Realistically based off recent history if we don't win 7-8 of our ten double ups this year I'll be extremely disappointed. We've beaten Collingwood in our last 3 attempts, we're a better side than Carlton and North and we just knocked over the Saints at Etihad, so if we don't knock them over at the 'G it'll be a huge letdown.

Can people at least agree Roosy was worth every dollar they paid him?

Every cent, awesome mentor, very positive person and attacked the real problems both on and off the field.

Mark Neeld was a very committed person, worked his **** off, very knowledgeable and had a really good grounding at Collingwood ... but he could not garnish the support from the "cheap seats" and was being undermined by some at the club for political reasons. Sad state of affairs ... but such is life.

Last edited:

A bottom 8 team beating another bottom 8 team does little to give cause for much notice, but the way Melbourne is building over the past 24 months is being noticed. Melbourne will have to play very well to make the finals this year, the most important thing is winning the games you should, i.e. beat all the bad teams. If you can then snag one or two against a good team you will make it, but the fight for North's spot (and possibly another spot, hard to see it) between Melbourne, Richmond, Port and possibly Gold Coast will be tight. Port to me look more likely, but a lot of interest in what Melbourne can produce. On the verge of finals, I would say.

Every cent, awesome mentor, very positive person and attacked the real problems both on and off the field.

Mark Neeld was a very committed person, worked his **** off, very knowledgeable and had a really good grounding at Collingwood ... but he could not garnish the support from the "cheap seats" and was being undermined by some at the club for political reasons. Sad state of affairs ... but such is life.
Neeld's list was s**t, and he was a horrendous coach. I'm sure he was committed, and we all know about Schwab's interventions, but he was never a good coach. His off season acquisitions were hideously bad for us, Tom Gillies, Rodan and Shannon Byrnes. The only teams we beat on his watch were the expansion clubs and Essendon, for reasons I still can't fathom.

Neeld's list was s**t, and he was a horrendous coach. I'm sure he was committed, and we all know about Schwab's interventions, but he was never a good coach. His off season acquisitions were hideously bad for us, Tom Gillies, Rodan and Shannon Byrnes. The only teams we beat on his watch were the expansion clubs and Essendon, for reasons I still can't fathom.

upload_2017-3-29_15-4-41.png

100% agree he inherited a broken club as Peter Jackson once said ... "the MFC has lost sight of its core business ... football" he was 100% correct.

It was a "toxic culture" ( again Jacksons words ) .... Mark never had a chance he was doomed from day 1 .... his honesty was his biggest downfall. Honesty and politics dont mix.

But if there was ever a bloke you want want to fight next to in the trenches ... Mark Neeld would be one of them. I had nothing but 100% respect and support for the bloke, but accepted he was a dead man walking from day 1 ... MFC was the wrong club for Neeldy.

Never mind the terrible recruiting, terrible gameplan and the fact that he delivered the seventh worst side in VFL/AFL history and the worst side to not get the wooden spoon

Those "cheap seats" are still rattling I see ... such is life.
Those "cheap seats" that constantly put their hands in the pockets to help the club demolish its debt? Those ones? The "cheap seats" that kept buying memberships despite knowing they had a potato for a coach who was in over his head (Neeld) to keep the club alive? Those ones?

I know you won't answer this post because I'm constantly proving how little knowledge you possess but you need to stop playing pretend, being a volunteer and answering phones isn't part of the inner sanctum.

It's just being a gullible pleb.

I honestly think that we can do it IF we don't get anymore major injuries

Injuries will be key. Already down to our last 2 KPD in the Mac brothers (although Frost should be back soon). Last year we had a dream run with injuries so would need the same again to get into finals let alone top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

similar thoughts were expressed after round one last year.
they are definintely on the up, but not yet. st kilda were awful after quarter time. would have been beaten by anyone that put in the effort.
St kilda were awful or did Goodwin restructure and dees ran all over them? Typical. Melbourne never gets credit when deserved. Its always about the other team being so woeful.

St kilda were awful or did Goodwin restructure and dees ran all over them? Typical. Melbourne never gets credit when deserved. Its always about the other team being so woeful.
Not at all. Melbourne are on the up and should feature in finals for a period of time, even have the makings of a future premier. it was a 'keep a lid on it' post. i know the saints and have seen it happen before. they just switched off. lucky not to be absolutely buried - statistically they were. goodwin gave richardson a lesson, my match day post congratulated Melbourne as far too good. But this is another discussion and on that showing the op is too big a call and too early.

Last edited:
Making the top 4 is something great ?
When you havent won more than 10 games in a season for 10 years it is

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Injuries will be key. Already down to our last 2 KPD in the Mac brothers (although Frost should be back soon). Last year we had a dream run with injuries so would need the same again to get into finals let alone top 4.
Yeah we are already in a pretty shitty position. I don't want to have to shift Watts or even Pedersen back but imagine if we lost another defender long term
So glad Carlton have a fairly small forward line

Not his fault but I reckon the club got into a real grief-induced funk when Jim Stynes passed. Enough time has now elapsed for that not to be a factor anymore.

The problem was that we didn't have any real genuine leaders who knew how to run a club other than Jimmy. When he got sick people like Gary Lyon, Connolly and Schwab were running the show. The club was also massively fractured after the Gutnick years and there were many egos but no real plans. Make no mistake, our resurgence is due to the AFL stepping in and forcing us to take Peter Jackson as our CEO

If you only have to win one game to make top 4 they are a shoe in. Otherwise we might have to wait awhile.

Melbournes list build has been awesome IMO.

Bringing some hardness in from Hibberd and Lewis is icing on a very good cake.

Only thing stopping them being top 4 this year is themselves and perhaps if their youf run out of puff.

I can't see us beating the Dees off a 5 day break because to be competitive against Melbourne you're going to need intense tackling pressure. If not their Gawn lead midfield will run riot.

I can't see us beating the Dees off a 5 day break because to be competitive against Melbourne you're going to need intense tackling pressure. If not their Gawn lead midfield will run riot.

I have seen enough Essendon vs Melbourne games to know all previous form is irrelevant :D

Back