Are the football fraternity underestimating some of the other premiership prospects?

Remove this Banner Ad

chapmanmagic35

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I really think they are.

Obviously being a Geelong supporter, I am confident that we can win the elusive premiership and am thus far satisfied with the way the season is progressing. At this stage, we have set ourselves up into a position where we are best placed to make an assault on the premiership. And I am loving it, why wouldn't I?

But I cannot help but wonder that the wider footballing public are underestimating some of the competition out there. I could expand, but here are three sides that are a real threat.

- West Coast
- Collingwood
- Port Power

The one that has really flown under the radar is Collingwood. They have a good draw home, they have set a good base to go from and they are more than capable of winning on the road. If the top six remains relatively unchanged, what is stopping them from beating the Roos or the Cats in a final at the MCG? West Coast don't really need an explanation. It is pretty obvious. They are the defending champions and have the cattle to test anyone, and their injured players are starting to filter back. Port Power is an interesting one. Started well, fell away, and are back. And they are a threat. With the quality at their disposal, if they can slide into the four, nothing is stopping them from stealing a preliminary final berth in Adelaide.

Now, as I said, I am not taking anything away from my Cats. Do I think we will win it? Course I do. I just think the public and the media are underestimating the challengers.

There is only so many sides you can dismiss from the race. Geelong look good, but all it takes is one month of glorious football and the title is yours.

Thoughts?

Alberton

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If your club is thinking the same way you are then they may be in for a serious choke.

Your probably right though, finals experience is important and you dont have a coach with premiership coaching experience, unlike the other three.

Going to be a very interesting finals series.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
I think Geelong would be better off dropping one or two or the run home.

Entering finals on a huge winning streak is a choke waiting to happen.

I think chapmanmagic35 is right, the GF is just one game and the best team for the season doesn't always win. At the moment, the best team is unquestionably Geelong, but I believe the Eagles are just now hitting their straps with Cuz back, and the Pies are playing very good football and have James Clement back for the reserves this week. Plenty of improvement left.

As for the Hawks and Kangaroos, they're playing very well indeed and are a dangerous unknown quantity come finals time.

There's nothing wrong with giving your opponents their due respect, underestimating them would be a bigger danger. :thumbsu:

Slamin

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2007
country S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bulldogs in the S.A.N.F.L
Geelong look fantastic at the moment and are worthy favourites....but so was Adelaide this time last year.....

Couple of key injuries...a loss or dip in form after along time on the up....and it can get a little shaky ( tell me about it !!! )

I hope the Cats do real well, they are great to watch and deserve to be in the big one !!

But there is still a long way to go and a couple of minor problems to watch out for....

Collingwood...West Coast...Port....Kangaroos...and maybe just maybe a team called Sydney !!

All in all a great finish to a great season !!!

Good luck though.:thumbsu:

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Those who are saying its a doddle for the Cats are under-estimating some sides.
Collingwood have really impressed in a few recent games that I've seen.
West Coast are obvoiously a threat. Sure, their form hasn't been that good in the last month or so, but that can easily turn around by September.

If the Cats keep up their current form, West Coast and Collingwood are probably the only sides that can conceivably beat them.
Yes, I know other teams have beaten Geelong; but they looked lost in the opening month or so. Not now.

hawka_fan

Premiership Player
Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
aussies!!!
This year, Hawthorn has beaten:

Geelong, West Coast, North, Port Adelaide, Collingwood
According to Sheehan we still have to beat a contender in the Roos to betop4 material. So haven't we beaten enough of the big sides yet? Doesn't beating Geelong, WC, and Collingwood mean anything:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slamin

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2007
country S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bulldogs in the S.A.N.F.L
Geelong look fantastic at the moment and are worthy favourites....but so was Adelaide this time last year.....

Couple of key injuries...a loss or dip in form after along time on the up....and it can get a little shaky ( tell me about it !!! )

I hope the Cats do real well, they are great to watch and deserve to be in the big one !!

But there is still a long way to go and a couple of minor problems to watch out for....

Collingwood...West Coast...Port....Kangaroos...and maybe just maybe a team called Sydney !!

All in all a great finish to a great season !!!

Good luck though.:thumbsu:

I did leave out the Hawks deliberately....

I have have said for 2 years now that the Hawks are in very good hands and IMO are going to become a real threat very soon...but not this year. Yes they have had some very good wins and deserve alot of respect, they deserve that. I just think it is a year or 2 away before the Hawks are a genuine chance of a premiership.

IMO the Hawk express has only just begun to its its tallons !!

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's no two ways about this, Geelong are the best team in the competition and if they don't win the flag something is wrong.

Very very idiotic post.

This isn't the English Premier League, or the A League. This is AFL football. You cant even predict 8 winners 2-3 weeks in a row, you really think you can predict the AFL premiers anytime before the finals?

I respect that Cats fan for showing respect to the opposition, because you have no idea what can happen in 2-3 weeks. Injuries, suspensions, ANYTHING can derail a season quicker then you can say '2007 premiers'.

It is the most wide open season in a long long time. And its going to be very entertaining to watch AFL football over the next 2 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back