Are the Giants out of premiership discussion now the double chance is gone? ( 2.0 updated page 17 )

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the injuries. It is the coaching.
I believe managing any business you need to play the hand that you were dealt. GWS hand is quick ball movement skilfully manoevering the footy around the park. 2016 style. Unfortunately and understandably Leon decided for GWS to take the next step he had to instil a defensive mindset to a naturally attacking team. This has not worked and the team is currently lost.
I think a good example of playing the hand you are dealt is Richmond. Hardwick played the quick pressure forwards because that is what he had at his disposal. He wanted another key forward but could not land one. He then played the hand he was dealt.
Leon needs to do the same quickly before he loses the players. All is not lost and GWS window is open for next year injuries and game plan and a little luck.

No need to waste my time. You're the one crapping on about '6th best sponsorships' and a 'smart' front office capable of generating alternate revenue streams .... who gives a continental about that ... you're underwritten by the AFL pinhead.

....and they will be for the next couple of decades at least.

It's akin to Swans fans claiming rights to players because QBE sponsors their academy. Absurd.

It is the injuries. It is the coaching.
I believe managing any business you need to play the hand that you were dealt. GWS hand is quick ball movement skilfully manoevering the footy around the park. 2016 style. Unfortunately and understandably Leon decided for GWS to take the next step he had to instil a defensive mindset to a naturally attacking team. This has not worked and the team is currently lost.
I think a good example of playing the hand you are dealt is Richmond. Hardwick played the quick pressure forwards because that is what he had at his disposal. He wanted another key forward but could not land one. He then played the hand he was dealt.
Leon needs to do the same quickly before he loses the players. All is not lost and GWS window is open for next year injuries and game plan and a little luck.
Problem is GWS dealt their own hand by trading away too many depth players.

It really annoys me when people here try to tear this team down.
They are doing great things growing the game at a grassroots level (that we don’t see). Hate them for being fake or whatever but seriously revelling at them ‘failing’ is actually counterproductive to the game.

It really annoys me too. It's just so idiotic to want to not see the game expand around the country. Utterly pointless.

kelly is not going to leave a sydney club that has more supporters in canberra for a melbourne club that has more supporters in hobart

Errrr yes he will cos his father played there for one. Secondly that small club is building towards success. Thirdly I wonder why did he only sign two years if gws is so successful for have a bright future. Also the end of his current contract is also the beginning of his unrestricted free agency...

Errrr yes he will cos his father played there for one. Secondly that small club is building towards success. Thirdly I wonder why did he only sign two years if gws is so successful for have a bright future. Also the end of his current contract is also the beginning of his unrestricted free agency...
He’s in his 5th season and his contract runs out next year. Not even close to restricted free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that mattered to him he would of signed for millions last year. He didnt.

If our coaching doesnt improve he may want to leave though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah not talking about the bottom five, it's the guys who had AFL exposure but who were traded, often for picks. Something like seven players in 2016? Sure some of them took the money and ran but not all of them.

Yes we've made a decision to use the cap to retain the stars. We could have had better depth by trading Kelly for example taking a couple of picks and keeping Smith and Jennedy. The t8liugh call is would that just keep as competitive and not good enough to seriously contend.
Those kind of decisions are long term and cant be judged on short term data. In a few years judgements can fairly be made.

Adelaide next week at The Oval. They have no choice but to step it up. After that favourable games with Gold Coast and Brisbane { at the GABBA } then West Coast.

If that mattered to him he would of signed for millions last year. He didnt.

If our coaching doesnt improve he may want to leave though.

I think he signed for 2 years because it looked like he might play in a premiership in that time.

I would be very surprised if Kelly & Shiel are still there beyond next season.

Salary cap constraints? Who knows. Why do anyones stars sign for short periods.

Surely it's not too hard to figure out, he's hedging his bets. He's taken less $$$ for a couple of years for a great chance to win a flag. At the end of two years he can re-assess:
  1. Have I won a flag and can go to another team for more money having already achieved the ultimate prize?
  2. Will I now make the decision to maximise my earnings with the team I grew up supporting?
  3. Will I go to or stay with the team that looks closest to a flag?
Classic non-decision, made easier by the fact that his next contract will likely be the money train. His preferred destination club would likely have a ton of cash and his incumbent club is likely to be a strong contender. If North is in any way competitive when his contract comes up I'd be surprised if he didn't jump.

On the broader topic ... has GWS put too much effort into retaining stars? I'm thinking they've sacrificed depth for star power. Most successful teams have had to build a team based on fewer guns, which means more emphasis on gamestyle and process. In this regard losing a player like Kelly might be a good thing. Sure you lose an absolute gun, but combined with some decent coaching could be the making of GWS as a team.

Surely it's not too hard to figure out, he's hedging his bets. He's taken less $$$ for a couple of years for a great chance to win a flag. At the end of two years he can re-assess:
  1. Have I won a flag and can go to another team for more money having already achieved the ultimate prize?
  2. Will I now make the decision to maximise my earnings with the team I grew up supporting?
  3. Will I go to or stay with the team that looks closest to a flag?
Classic non-decision, made easier by the fact that his next contract will likely be the money train. His preferred destination club would likely have a ton of cash and his incumbent club is likely to be a strong contender. If North is in any way competitive when his contract comes up I'd be surprised if he didn't jump.

Or it could be soemthing else as i said.

On the broader topic ... has GWS put too much effort into retaining stars? I'm thinking they've sacrificed depth for star power. Most successful teams have had to build a team based on fewer guns, which means more emphasis on gamestyle and process. In this regard losing a player like Kelly might be a good thing. Sure you lose an absolute gun, but combined with some decent coaching could be the making of GWS as a team.

Yes we did. We have a great 1st 22.

We are extremely poor after that.

Doesnt help we have a coaching group with no plan B

Or it could be soemthing else as i said.
Like what? I think it's pretty clear-cut and put my cards on the table. If you have an alternative theory please share, otherwise 'something else' is a pretty weak response.

Yes we did. We have a great 1st 22.

We are extremely poor after that.

Doesnt help we have a coaching group with no plan B

Glad we agree. What would you do to remedy the situation. Who would you keep, and who would you let go?

Like what? I think it's pretty clear-cut and put my cards on the table. If you have an alternative theory please share, otherwise 'something else' is a pretty weak response.

How so? Everyone had him gone last year. His boyhood club and 1.whatever mil a year for 6 or 7 years.

And yet...

Glad we agree. What would you do to remedy the situation. Who would you keep, and who would you let go?

Starts with the coaching group.
They are gonski and would do what i can to get an experienced coach. Hope it comes together with what we have for a 2019 run at the flag. Convincing a couple who may be bordline leaving to staying.

As for players we have no one to replace any we lose due to our trading and drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back