Strategy Are the new rules for 2019 from the shadows designed to stop Richmond's unique successful set-up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Are the new rules a way of stopping the Richmond set-up as having a unfair competitive advantage because the players are just too strong in what they bring in their unique set-up.

Some in the AFL do not like it? Some do not want Richmond too successful? Is it some do not want some home truths to come out that the type of players Richmond have a simply too effective under the current rules for big, tall, slow lumbering forwards in particular?

When was the last time drastic changes like this was brought in to modify the game?

Are others admitting it is very difficult for other teams structures to get the better of Richmond's current structure?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY THEORY I TELLS YA!!!!!
Nah it's just these asswipes in the media complaining about "teh state of the game". Maybe they should give blockbuster spots to good teams, instead to Carlton, WB, St Kilda etc.

I get the logic they are using. But not sure how it would work in real time. Do players have to be in the 50m zones at any stoppage? Not much time there.

And if you open the game up by moving players to either end in stoppages then teams that can run better and are better organized will benefit. So that means we should come out ahead cause we will be able to get our players to where we want them to be when play restarts.

I get the logic they are using. But not sure how it would work in real time. Do players have to be in the 50m zones at any stoppage? Not much time there.

And if you open the game up by moving players to either end in stoppages then teams that can run better and are better organized will benefit. So that means we should come out ahead cause we will be able to get our players to where we want them to be when play restarts.

I am not sure what rules are coming in. On Wednesday David King said teams could not put everyone back at a bounce. But it sounds like a few can be within the 50m arc and a heap just outside and when the bounce happens more can rush to whether for coverage?

Not sure how umpires can monitor players in a zone every minute of the game unless they do it electronically?

Every year there are changes, it's been overdone since the rushed behind rule came in, since then they've just been changing rules for the sake of it, from me being aware of it anyway, not sure if they've always been like this. Just imagine if we went into a season without a rule change, that would be incredible. I disrespect the way the afl goes about there rule changes and it is part of the decline in my interest in the game, the only thing keeping me around is Richmond!

I am not sure what rules are coming in. On Wednesday David King said teams could not put everyone back at a bounce. But it sounds like a few can be within the 50m arc and a heap just outside and when the bounce happens more can rush to whether for coverage?

Not sure how umpires can monitor players in a zone every minute of the game unless they do it electronically?

Yeah. The details I've heard are so vague it doesn't help much. But having to have x players in the 50m zones could easily be a problem in a real game at times. Players follow the ball out of the forward 50 and then a stoppage = seconds to run 40m o_O:drunk:. And who is monitoring them.

For center bounces it's just what happens anyway. You'd hope it's better thought through than what we know. It better be or Rayzor will be able to give away 40 dodgy frees every game.

s**t teams don’t have Edwards, Dusty or Cotch to clear congestion and get the game flowing.
They try to copy but are mere, weak imitations.
Zones etc are bullshit. So if BEllis kicks a goal with 20 seconds to play we can’t flood back to defend?
Just pay free kicks in congestion, there are plenty there. Start with a handball receiver who gets caught. HTB. Ping them.
And call a ball up quickly then immediately throw it up. If a ruckman can’t keep up, bad luck, don’t give him 15secs to get there.
There you go. Fixed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t teams don’t have Edwards, Dusty or Cotch to clear congestion and get the game flowing.
They try to copy but are mere, weak imitations.
Zones etc are bullshit. So if BEllis kicks a goal with 20 seconds to play we can’t flood back to defend?
Just pay free kicks in congestion, there are plenty there. Start with a handball receiver who gets caught. HTB. Ping them.
And call a ball up quickly then immediately throw it up. If a ruckman can’t keep up, bad luck, don’t give him 15secs to get there.
There you go. Fixed.

That makes a bit more sense.

The real problem is teams trying to copy the high pressure style without the personnel or discipline. They make up for that by scragging to game into a wrestle. Our style was well captured by some oppo poster on the MB. When we're defending it looks like a small ground, and when we are attacking it looks like a paddock.

Weaker teams just make it look small, and congested. Zone won't help much there.

I don't see these weird rule changes being directed at Richmond in any way. That's paranoia.

But I can't prove it wrong, because there's no objective reason I can see or anyone is talking about.

Attendances are up. Participation in community, junior and female competitions is up. What's the justification for changing the nature of the game? (And yes, starting positions and / or zones is changing the nature of the game, IMO)

Why? TV ratings? I don't believe TV ratings are down because of the game itself. TV ratings are down because they keep broadcasting games with poor teams and not broadcasting games with strong teams.

So all I can assume is powerbrokers don't like the aesthetic. And if it's powerbrokers we're dealing with, then the way forward is clear.

If these proposed rule changes worry you, contact the AFL's sponsors:
Tell them what you think about the proposed rule changes. I have.

No. We will benefit from it. If AFL wants to bring back the good old days of key forwards, then the other teams can use their lumbering key backs while we just hack it across town to our pacy ****ed and stumble a goal in 15m out.

What's the change?

How come its never brought up that maybe the reason skill levels may be down is because with the addition of 2 new clubs, theres what 70 odd people on AFL lists who wouldnt be there with only 16 clubs.

but no, its richmond who are at fault.

A few idiots blame the Tigers. But mostly it's clubs that can't play the full on high pressure style that create mind blowing boring games. But that has always been the case. I'm 50 and I cannot remember a time when the 'old days were better' wasn't the call.

Even the 1990s era was great for a few teams. Most teams just sucked, and weren't great to watch. Look at those games now and see how poor the skills were, and defensive pressure was pitiful. Even the great Hawks team from then would get annihilated nowadays. They wouldn't get he ball out and couldn't move it. And their defense would be smashed.

What the Tigers have done, along with the 2016 Dogs and a few others is shown that genuine pressure cannot be beaten. You can't stop teams acting on that now without totally changing the game to .... AFLX. If they go there I'll give up watching and supporting the game.

How come its never brought up that maybe the reason skill levels may be down is because with the addition of 2 new clubs, theres what 70 odd people on AFL lists who wouldnt be there with only 16 clubs.

but no, its richmond who are at fault.

I completely disagree. I reckon skills have never been higher. What's changed is the professionalism and total pressure that exists now. The player pool is more stretched. But the development of kids is so much better and slowly the Northern states are producing more quality AFL players.

You watch yesterday's game and see how much time players had and how much space player shad to run into. That's the big difference. Skills look bad when you've got Dan Rioli chasing you and you're kicking to Flossy and Trossman. Then you cannot take time to settle, and you cannot expect to get the mark even with a good kick. Skilsl look bad even when they are good. that's because (say) disposal has improved 15%, defensive skills and fitness has improved 100%.

Here is a novel idea. Leave the rules alone.

Make umpires pay frees according to the rules. How many incorrect disposals/holding the balls don’t get paid leading to more players getting to the contest which causes what? oh yes congestion and let’s not forget the letting the play go so long it turns into the Royal Rumble.

Expanding the competition to 18 teams in two non football markets spread the talent pool too thin. If you wanted teams in those markets force minnow vic clubs like lolnorf to move and keep it at 16 teams.

None of these proposed changes will make any difference to congestion, skill level or so called look of the game

Less interchange and 16 on the field will make skills worse as players get more tired.

Zones/set starting position at centre bounces make no difference because as soon as it’s bounced teams can drop a loose back, push a spare up to the stoppage etc.

25m goal square is just ridiculous. A kick in will go past the centre square and teams will just push zones back to defend it. Just making congestion in a different area on the ground.

I don’t think so as our style works very hard to clear the ball from congestion getting the ball into the clear to leverage our speed . These new rules will put more space between the top sides and the rest . IMHO the only change to our structure I could see as a req would be added aerial strength with more 1/1 contests favoured therein the strong interest in lynch

While we are on it, how come it’s now open season on someone who gets a free kick paid against?
Not just us but Rance got attacked after getting pinged for htb. Vlastuin wouldn’t have elbowed Parker if he hadn’t been jumping on him etc
Again, not just us but it’s just gotten out of hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back