stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels
Interesting article in the Herald Sun today about the Rebels' successful early push for members and its possible effect on the Storm.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...-melbourne-storm/story-e6frfgkf-1225989826242

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci remains adamant his club, established over a decade, would pass the record 9500 members signed last year despite memberships not being available until the end of this month.

The Rebels, meanwhile, have close to 6000 members already and attracted a crowd in excess of 8000 to last weekend's trial win over Tonga.
All membership information was taken by interested fans who purchased most available Rebels merchandise, too.

The Rebels will also begin a TV advertising blitzkrieg this Sunday, with the Storm, who begin their season in March, to start its campaign closer to February.

And interestingly:

Conspiracy theorists suggest some Storm fans are just rugby fans who have been getting a fix through league and would jump ship to the Rebels.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Are the Rebels a threat to the Storm?

I don't know. I think the biggest threat to the Storm is News ltd. but they seem genuine in standing behind the club.

This is Melbourne's chance to prove what it's boasted about for years, and that is its claim to having a far greater support for Rugby Union than Rugby league.

We can start by seeing how many join the tipping comp. :)

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Being a "threat" as a fellow sports team gets tossed around quite a bit these days. I think it's a bit overstated. I suppose by a threat they mean they will take some members away and take away some revenue from the Storm through gate money, merchandise. Can't see significant sponsorship jumping ship unless the Storm have another huge public scandal like the salary cap thing last year. Storm would have a pretty loyal fan base by now, surely.

I guess the Rebels might take away some revenue from the Storm, but I can't see why the Storm and Rebels can't co-exist. One league team and one rugby team in a city as big as Melbourne seems like it should work.

JWar

Rookie
Oct 22, 2010
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Collingwood
There probably are some Storm fans who prefer union to league. Whether they are enough to make a significant dent in the Storm's support levels....probably not.

I've got to say as a Storm fan and regular attender myself I can't stand union. I just don't get the attraction - all the kicking over the sidelines, the constant penalties, taking forever to pack a scrum - makes me want to pull my hair out. And I like every single other football code - just can't cope with union for some reason.

But there's no doubt that there will be plenty of comparison of Storm / Rebels crowds and support levels. I think the Rebels crowds will be much higher, but the TV audiences (for the Storm's foxtel games at least) will be the other way round.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Australia Cricket,League,Union team
Melbourne Rebels have are not a threat to the Melbourne Storm.

In fact, it'll be quite the opposite.

If anything the Melbourne Rebels may help the Storm in two ways.
1) junior development
2) Rugby supporter involvement (both codes)

The Melbourne Storm have been battling by themselves since 1998, now they will have some help in that battle.

Something that is seen as impossible in NSW and QLD will happen in Melbourne and that Rugby League and Union working together.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
funny thing is, the storm will have more members as a result of the 2010 turmoil and that is FACT ...

So for the case of the OP, no, the rebels are not a threat to Melbourne Storm.

The salary cap scandal is the best thing to happen to Rugby League in Victoria since getting a team.

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels
Something that is seen as impossible in NSW and QLD will happen in Melbourne and that Rugby League and Union working together.

Personally I would have loved to have seen a joint Rebels/Storm membership package available, would have done both teams a lot of good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the fact that the Melbourne Storm have over 4 and a half thousand members, they have only been on sale for 3 weeks and they have almost doubled the members then they did at this time last year is an indication of what affect the rebels will have.

My predictions
* Storm to get a ton more PayTV viewers
* Storm to get more FTA Viewers
* Storm to get more members
* Storm to get a higher crowd total
* Rebels to get a higher average crowd due to less games played

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Super 15 season ends in June.

There's another half-season of NRL left. Fans will cross over.

Storm and rebels only play at home on the same weekend once and that is in round 1 of the NRL.

Jun 12, 2009
red & black hills
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big V
Not a direct threat in the short term.

The Rebels will attract higher average crowds as union is a far better spectator sport than league. Melbournians will respond to this.

Whilst News Ltd/ NRL prop up the Storm they're fine. A decline in on field performances may force a rethink down the track but I doubt they will let it fold.

It is a big test for the independence of RL's IC to see how much club self interest still exists if Storm are causing a profit bleed.

I have no doubt the Rebels will be bigger than the Storm over the next 2-3 years as they establish themselves in the Melbourne sporting landscape.

kwame

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jan 8, 2009
b-more
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
lakers
I've got to say as a Storm fan and regular attender myself I can't stand union. I just don't get the attraction - all the kicking over the sidelines, the constant penalties, taking forever to pack a scrum - makes me want to pull my hair out. And I like every single other football code - just can't cope with union for some reason.
was a storm member a couple of years ago with a few mates quite enjoyed it and i think rugby is a decent game.....agree about the union part....s**t sport....almost like watching stacks on

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Not a direct threat in the short term.

The Rebels will attract higher average crowds as union is a far better spectator sport than league. Melbournians will respond to this.

Whilst News Ltd/ NRL prop up the Storm they're fine. A decline in on field performances may force a rethink down the track but I doubt they will let it fold.

It is a big test for the independence of RL's IC to see how much club self interest still exists if Storm are causing a profit bleed.

I have no doubt the Rebels will be bigger than the Storm over the next 2-3 years as they establish themselves in the Melbourne sporting landscape.

There are only two reasons as why the Rebels will have higher averaged crowds this year.

1. Novelty effect - its news, people haven't had this opportunity before.

2. They only have 8 games at home and the Storm will have 12. Law of averages, Storm will end up with more members and a larger total crowd total though.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the two clubs should work together. Sharing facilities and some coaching staff is obvious and already happening. But why not hold a double header every year or two (ground markings would be an issue but I'm sure they'd be able to figure out a way around it) or sell double passes when they have home games in the same weekend etc?

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the two clubs should work together. Sharing facilities and some coaching staff is obvious and already happening. But why not hold a double header every year or two (ground markings would be an issue but I'm sure they'd be able to figure out a way around it) or sell double passes when they have home games in the same weekend etc?

Maybe a possible trial before the season starts at AAMI Park?

11-12 a-side hybird Rugby game, would that get a buzz out of the Public?

Rugby League can use its connections with News Limited to get the game televised on Foxtel. Fox Sports will be willing to i think, they have Super Rugby and every form of Rugby League at some point on their network.

Only problem is that the Rebels don't really have marketable players (by "marketable players" i am taking into account the target audience) so most of the hype will have to be around Billy Slater, Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk talking about taking on Wallaby players in the rebels line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back