Redbacks No More - SACA spuds are back

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean is gone!! Is there hope? The rest of their batsman aren't scoring too fast.

If we still had Sayers we may have been some chance.

I know it isn't over but realistically what do we need to win it next season ???

We aren't far away and unlike seasons gone by we've done it with a relatively young squad. Firstly Ferg comes back in, shift Raph back up to open with Weathers and drop Cosgrove. SACA won't do it, they dont have the guts (pun fully intended). Do we need to make anymore changes in the batting lineup ??

Bowling wise we appear set too. Our pace/seam options are good with Valente, Benton and Winter in the wings and Richo to come back...... until he gets hurt again. Spin wise Andrews can develop and hopefully Zamps grows as a FC bowler.

Any thoughts ??

A first class spinner is a key. Is that Zampa? He's an excellent one day and Twenty20 bowler. Not sure he's quite the answer at Shield level. I hope I'm wrong but it seemed that the way he bowled - flat, quick, skiddy - which suits short form cricket didn't help him penetrate in the longer form. Perhaps I'm being harsh on him. Spinners take longer to develop and he's still young.

I'm not sure Andrews turns the ball enough. Simple as that. Again - handy short form bowler, not sure about the longer format.

Our pace attack is very good but a bit same, same. From speaking to some of the players they feel we need one genuinely fast bowler - someone who can bowl a few bouncers, make stuff happen on flat wickets. Our current guys are very accurate and excellent when there is something in the wicket. Not sure there is anyone in the current set up who can bowl 140+ though.

Batting-wise the big disappointment of the season was Kelvin Smith. He finished last season well and looked like he would become a good opener for us. Development has really stalled this season. Hopefully he can recapture that form.

1. Weatherald
2. K Smith
3. Ferguson
4. Head
5. Lehmann
6. Ross
7. Carey

Richo is his younger days was very quick and still is, he just can't stay on the pitch. Joe was the 2nd leading wicket taker in SS this year and we all know how good Sayers is.

I'd have

Richo
Joe
Franky/Zamps depending on conditions.
Sayers

Thing is, will Zampa hang around as a bit part player ?? And who are the young spinners likely to challenge him.

What do we think about changing from the Kookaburra to the Duke ball from half way through next shield season?

Seems strange to me.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Cloudy AF this morning, surely we can get Chadd a quick ankle transplant to roll the cheats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel as though, instead of being outplayed, we failed ourselves. So many wickets that fell, shouldn't have fallen. Fielding was for the most part good, bowling too. Batting side needs to have a look at itself and learn about pacing an innings.

And don't get me started on serial cheater Handscomb, or Mick "Small Dick" Lewis. Just disgraceful, I wouldn't applaud them if I were at the ground.

while it sucks we lost the final, we shouldn't forget what a great ride it's been this season. can't help but feel that there success coming for these guys in the next few years should we keep the squad largely together

A first class spinner is a key. Is that Zampa? He's an excellent one day and Twenty20 bowler. Not sure he's quite the answer at Shield level. I hope I'm wrong but it seemed that the way he bowled - flat, quick, skiddy - which suits short form cricket didn't help him penetrate in the longer form. Perhaps I'm being harsh on him. Spinners take longer to develop and he's still young.

I'm not sure Andrews turns the ball enough. Simple as that. Again - handy short form bowler, not sure about the longer format.

Our pace attack is very good but a bit same, same. From speaking to some of the players they feel we need one genuinely fast bowler - someone who can bowl a few bouncers, make stuff happen on flat wickets. Our current guys are very accurate and excellent when there is something in the wicket. Not sure there is anyone in the current set up who can bowl 140+ though.

Batting-wise the big disappointment of the season was Kelvin Smith. He finished last season well and looked like he would become a good opener for us. Development has really stalled this season. Hopefully he can recapture that form.

1. Weatherald
2. K Smith
3. Ferguson
4. Head
5. Lehmann
6. Ross
7. Carey
Agree on that top 7. No point persisting with Cooper or Cosgrove. I also agree one genuine quick would be perfect. Also, their isnt that many quality spinners around in state cricket, Zampa is good enough.
WA have Agar, who is no better than Zampa. Victoria have Ahmed and Holland. Perhaps we should poach Holland. Queensland have Boyce who is no better than Zampa. NSW have Okeefe, who is good at this level. Tasmania have Rose, who is worse than Zampa. Really only Victoria and NSW have and advantage spinner wise.

I was there on Monday and Weatherald batted beautifully. Never looked in trouble. Cosgrove on the other hand was in shocking touch. Cosgrove, Cooper and Ludeman need to be moved on. Still not sold on Ross either and Raphael is just waisting everyone's time IMO.

I think Head may be the type who will make the step to international cricket easily and we may not see too much of him going forward.

A really quick bowler would be good but there are not many out there who don't keep getting injured. I think Zampa could be a fine spin bowler if we manage to keep him.

A good result for the season even thought it was a disappointing end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back