Analysis Are the Tigers the "Harlem Globetrotters" of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Martin - Riewoldt - Lynch is ridiculous on paper and in real life
How bloody lucky are we to have front row seats , fair dinkum Hollywood couldn’t script three stars that big within a budget and we havem all i50,,,, still gotta pinch myself

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
verbose

If you're verbose, you use far more words than you need to. A verbose book report goes on and on and is packed with long, complicated words that aren't at all necessary.

If a friend asks, "Did you have fun at the party?" you can simply answer, "No." Or you can provide a verbose reply that describes just how much you hated the party, who was and wasn't there, the fact that you got lost on the way, the terrible food that was served, and the awful music that was played. Verbose is from Latin verbosus "full of words," from verbum, "word or verb." As you can guess from the spelling, the English verb is closely related.
Tldr

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
I was thinking of posting in the Shedda thread, or the Pickett, or the Stack, or the Rioli threads (and others) but I thought a bit of discussion about our game style deserves it's own thread......Mods feel free to move if needs.

After 2017 our game style was being 'Lambasted' by the media for choking the game because of our high intensity pressure, probably the Dogs and the Dockers had some influence on this. The 'noise' from the media became worse in 2018, particularly because of our dominance, so the AFL, in their wisdom, brought in rule changes to open up the game and restrict our influence in holding the ball inside our 50 and scoring from forward half turnovers. I would argue that, much their chagrin, those rule changes have enhanced our game style.

The 666 rule has opened up the field and allowed a more free flowing and open game that firstly has straightened us up and secondly given us space for the swarming type attack.

The rule that a ruck could take the ball from a ruck contest meant that players like Grigga were less effective. We now employ a 2 ruck structure which I think has given us more dominance around the ground.

What I'm trying to get to with this prelude is to highlight how exciting the Tigers game is to watch! Our attacking style is not something I've ever seen before in the AFL. We've had the highest metres gained by handball for the last 3 seasons and by a long way. But last year that forward movement went to another level. Some of the plays with tap ons, flicks, sleight of hand handballs and deft touches to keep the ball moving forward have been nothing short of stunning, dare I say 'Harlem Globetrotterish'

What I'm salivating at for next year is watching guys like Pickett, Stack, Sheds, Rioli, Lambert, Prestia, Cotch et al scything up the ground and delivering the ball to the 3 best forwards in the comp. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN.....THE THREE BEST FORWARDS IN THE COMP.

Discuss if you wish
It is a sign of greatness when the authorities change the rules to bring you back to the field.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
When dusty spits on his hands and rubs them together out of habit ,,,,,,,,when some bunny defender approaches at start of game , Does anyone else just go whoa , in for a big one today , or is it just me
He has a habit of rubbing his hair after a goal celebration as well .Not sure why with the little he has .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
What I'm salivating at for next year is watching guys like Pickett, Stack, Sheds, Rioli, Lambert, Prestia, Cotch et al scything up the ground and delivering the ball to the 3 best forwards in the comp. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN.....THE THREE BEST FORWARDS IN THE COMP.

Discuss if you wish

& the richmond backline is arguable better than the forward line

- Rance, GOAT
- Grimes, better than the goat?
- Vlastuin best mid defender going around and a prime Luke Hodge type arguably better model
- Houli best small def.
- Astbury, 'A grader', hard as a mac truck, professional as they come, skillful
- Broad, 6'3 brave, hard, fast, strong - should get better as he approaches 60/70 afl games
- Short. no.1 in football for meters gained in the minor premiership year... still young
- Baker tried as a defender and won a premiership, helped give toby greene a bath, still young, had a few epic patches in the finals
- Stack, Balta, Turner etc. more upside than a weather balloon

Last edited:

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
*arguably

*edit....bit of a worry for other clubs isn't it? Best forwards in the comp, best defenders in the comp, and the best playing style in the comp. Plus, arguably, one of the best midfield rotations in the comp.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
*arguably

*edit....bit of a worry for other clubs isn't it? Best forwards in the comp, best defenders in the comp, and the best playing style in the comp. Plus, arguably, one of the best midfield rotations in the comp.

If my team isnt called the Eagles or Giants I would be worried

even then richmond take some beating at the g

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If my team isnt called the Eagles or Giants I would be worried

even then richmond take some beating at the g
Those 2 teams try to play 'perfect' football. Kick, mark, pinpoint delivery. Neither of them have the game that stands up in wet weather, dry weather and finals....the Tigers do, and I'm salivating at watching how next year pans out.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
*arguably

*arguably

And has anyone mentioned our imposing record at the mcg , since 2017 40/45 ,,,, who does that

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

- Rance, GOAT
- Grimes, better than the goat?
- Vlastuin best mid defender going around and a prime Luke Hodge type arguably better model
- Houli best small def.
- Astbury, 'A grader', hard as a mac truck, professional as they come, skillful
- Broad, 6'3 brave, hard, fast, strong - should get better as he approaches 60/70 afl games
- Short. no.1 in football for meters gained in the minor premiership year... still young
- Baker tried as a defender and won a premiership, helped give toby greene a bath, still young, had a few epic patches in the finals
- Stack, Balta, Turner etc. more upside than a weather balloon
I think of Baker as a little chihuahua......the little chihuahua bites !!!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Those 2 teams try to play 'perfect' football. Kick, mark, pinpoint delivery. Neither of them have the game that stands up in wet weather, dry weather and finals....the Tigers do, and I'm salivating at watching how next year pans out.
geelol arguably played perfect footy for two quarters in the 2019 PF...could not sustain it when the Tigers turned it on! 👍:D👍

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
geelol arguably played perfect footy for two quarters in the 2019 PF...could not sustain it when the Tigers turned it on! 👍:D👍
I still reckon the perfect footy for two quarters was grossly exaggerated - maybe one and a bit tops, and then Danger with his academy performance and mouthing off to Dusty provoked the most perfect double handed don't argue response. Poetry in motion from Dusty and I wonder if Danger still has bruises on his chest. :D

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I still reckon the perfect footy for two quarters was grossly exaggerated - maybe one and a bit tops, and then Danger with his academy performance and mouthing off to Dusty provoked the most perfect double handed don't argue response. Poetry in motion from Dusty and I wonder if Danger still has bruises on his chest. :D
Fully concur , we actually started well with f 3G to 1 then with 5-10min remaining of first half , I was thinking only 15p in this and we haven’t played that well , lots of up side and then dangerflop got my blood boiling to push out to 21 ,,,,,the rest is history

Back