Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
I'd be shocked if there wasn't, you'd think there would be a fair enough reflection of society, and athletes in general.

I grew up with the likes of Owen and Tyler Wright, and being one of the only vegetarian families I knew in the 90s/00s didn't stop them from being superhuman fish. Owen could have easily pursued ironmen, olympic swimming, etc and I doubt he ate meat in his childhood (remember him looking a bit nauseous during an episode of Big Arvo where they did a meaty cookup).

Muscle recovery from prolonged cardio in contact sport with weekly turnaround is another matter, meat is an easy way to repair quickly, but I'm sure vegetarians have their own methods.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Screenshot_20180915-083845_Instagram.jpg

Both dudes are vegan, the one on the left has never eaten meat in his life. The protein nutrient/deficiency is outrageously wrong and overstated (I haven't eaten meat for 3+ years and I'm fit and strong as ****).

Go check out Nimai's insta if you'd like to learn more. Also Rich Roll (vegan ultra marathon runner) has some great content.

dave123

Cancelled
AFL Club
West Coast
Vegans are odd...

I always ask are those shoes your wearing leather or that handbag.....

Where does leather come from....

In terms of diet...you lack protien

archereleven

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
View attachment 558823
Both dudes are vegan, the one on the left has never eaten meat in his life. The protein nutrient/deficiency is outrageously wrong and overstated (I haven't eaten meat for 3+ years and I'm fit and strong as ****).

Go check out Nimai's insta if you'd like to learn more. Also Rich Roll (vegan ultra marathon runner) has some great content.
Meat out, 'roids in.

So healthy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Vegans are odd...

Incorrect.

Also no vegan wears leather man, that just means they eat a plant based diet. Veganism is a lifestyle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

projectv

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Vegans are odd...

Just in case you weren't trolling and genuinely didn't know, there are plenty of leather alternatives for things like belts, fancy shoes, handbags, wallets etc.

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Vegans are odd...

Yes, many vegans wear shoes and accessories that are non-leather.

Plenty of ways to get protien outside of animal products too.

It takes some research and planning, but if it's an idea you're really committed to, whether it's morally, or for your health, or to combat specific medical issues, you do the work.

Bazzar

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
Eating red meat is actually really bad for the human body. Majority plant based is the way to go not only for health reasons but environmental as well.
Rubbish.
If vegans want to partake in their particular lifestyle good for them, but they need to stop sprouting this absolute ********.

YippeeYiYeo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 558823

if you cant tell theres roids involved with those 2 men youre a fool.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
seriously if you want to eat nothing but [REDACTED DUE TO OUTRAGE] then that's your prerogative, I just don't see why 95% of the vegan population has to act like they're on some kind of crusade

Last edited:

Masher

Cancelled
AFL Club
St Kilda
seriously if you want to eat nothing but tofu and parsnips then that's your prerogative, I just don't see why 95% of the vegan population has to act like they're on some kind of crusade
Lack of meat causes their brains to malfunction

SizeMatters

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rubbish.
If vegans want to partake in their particular lifestyle good for them, but they need to stop sprouting this absolute ********.
This is simplistic and moronic as suggesting vegans have no means for protein.
Hey look I love to hate on vegans just as much as the next guy... but the way forward is majority plant based diet. Vegetarians are the elite human beings.

Top Bottom