Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it's more the meat eaters itt (and in rl) basically saying if you wear a leather shoe what's the point, you might as well not be a vegan. So weird.

It's like saying I found a cure for 99% of cancer cases, but I decided to not release it because what's the point if I can't save 100%.

Vegans that cheat on 1% (or whatever) percent of the time are still doing a good thing.

Or you try not to harm people, but after accidentally knocking someone off their bike on the street you've decided it's all over and you'll just drive down the footpath all day long.

100% this.

I'm not vegetarian and have never once claimed to be, but as soon as I order a veg option on a menu I cop all sorts of bloody nonsense. I get made to explain why I choose not to eat that much meat even though it doesn't matter what I say.

I've been vegetarian for just under 20 years and this is the most accurate thing ever. In the early days whenever anyone asked me about it I'd get lectures from them about appropriate nutrient intake and protein - from people who's idea of good diet decision making was which McFlurry to have with their burger daily. Eventually I gave up explaining when asked - now I just tell them I do it because I'm better than them. Appears to have the desired impact of shutting them up and minding their own business quite well.

Last edited:
Never eaten that brand but only a closeminded idiot would assume vege burgers have no flavour

I'm not vegetarian, but I've got a vegetarian girlfriend and a vegan housemate. I don't cook much for the house, because I'm honestly quite s**t at it and so I eat a lot of meat substitutes now. I can say the best sausages and hot dogs I've eaten are vegan.

The idea that only meat has flavour is so outdated, and absurd to begin with.

You’re better off making your own veggie burgers. Combine some pumpkin, spinach and sweet potato/potato with some Cajun.

I find most veggie patties to be reasonably bland and pricey.

Years ago when my diet was vegetarian back in Adelaide I used to train in a martial arts class. My mate trained too and he was vegan and the two of us copped all kinds of (reasonably good natured) jokes and flak from everyone else. Didn't really bother me I think i half expected it.
There was one xmas bbq we went to with the class and we just bought along vegie sausages (the vegie market was alot smaller back then) and for weeks leading up to it the guys were fascinated with the vegie sausage concept.
I still remember the day and a couple of them trying a vegie sausage. It was like they'd been dared to eat a scorpion or something - this one guy was called Bulldog Steve. He was a unit (albeit short and under 5'6) but you'd never wanna fck with him he was all power ) and watching this big tough guy hesitate and 2nd guess whether the vegie sausage would somehow hurt him was hilarious - it's juzt vegetable protein mate

I'd quite like to be vegetarian. I'm definitely more of a conscious consumer than I used to be, and have convinced the family to eat meat free 2-3 nights a week, but I'd like to go further. Can't see myself going vegan though. I really respect people who do it, but I can't see myself going there. Chocolate, cheese and milk are massive staples for me, and I really think my life would suffer without them. I'd miss beef and chicken, but I don't think it would change things for me all too much and the environmental and compassionate reasons for cutting out meat would be worth it. Not being able to make a vegetarian ravioli for dinner after a s**t day would ruin me though.

I'd quite like to be vegetarian. I'm definitely more of a conscious consumer than I used to be, and have convinced the family to eat meat free 2-3 nights a week, but I'd like to go further. Can't see myself going vegan though. I really respect people who do it, but I can't see myself going there. Chocolate, cheese and milk are massive staples for me, and I really think my life would suffer without them. I'd miss beef and chicken, but I don't think it would change things for me all too much and the environmental and compassionate reasons for cutting out meat would be worth it. Not being able to make a vegetarian ravioli for dinner after a **** day would ruin me though.

This in a nutshell is the biggest obstacle most people have, a lack of imagination. By nature we think about all the things we won't be able to eat anymore and try to imagine life with a smaller set of options.
The reality is that since going vegan I eat a greater variety of better tasting food.
The best chocolate in the world is Vegan (almost all dark choc, my favourite is Pacari from Ecuador)
There are about 20 types of plant based milk available, you'll find one you like, same with all the vegan cheeses and mock meats.
More to the point, you'll find a heap of foods that you didn't know existed before that replace what you're not eating. Here's a sample of the type of foods available:
https://www.avantgardevegan.com/my-recipes/
https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/main-dishes

Vegan extremists are the worst, if you wanna be vegan, good on you, your choice. The *******s that protest can * right off.

Vegan extremists are the worst, if you wanna be vegan, good on you, your choice. The *******s that protest can **** right off.

Every movement that is counter-culture has been labelled the same way...
Women the right to vote? Extremists
Abolishion of slavery? Extremists
End segregation? Extremists
Yeah getting dicked around by protesters sucks, but every rights movement starts out with agitation, it's par for the course.

Yeah getting dicked around by protesters sucks, but every rights movement starts out with agitation, it's par for the course.
Great post.
That Rosa Parks lady should have just given up her seat for the white folks like she was supposed to.

Vegan extremists are the worst, if you wanna be vegan, good on you, your choice. The *******s that protest can **** right off.
That’s a fairly natural reaction. I do wonder if you really know what they're protesting when people go onto the farms? While these actions from the protesters don't resonate with you, it would be interesting to know what does.
Let's say Dangerfield, Martin and Daniher all announced over a few months that they ate a plant based diet as a means of maintaining optimum health. That, I imagine, would resonate with many people. It may be then that when 60 minutes shows images of whats going on in these huge feedlots (they haven't yet, they only show the protesters ) people like you start to see the story from a different angle.
Protest on its own won't change much, but there's a very, very strong message behind the protests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone of those examples was people protesting about personal rights and self determination.

These vegan twats are protesting for the opposite of that. They are protesting from the opposite side of the coin in wanting people to be banned from being able to self determine when it comes to their diets.

This in a nutshell is the biggest obstacle most people have, a lack of imagination. By nature we think about all the things we won't be able to eat anymore and try to imagine life with a smaller set of options.
The reality is that since going vegan I eat a greater variety of better tasting food.
The best chocolate in the world is Vegan (almost all dark choc, my favourite is Pacari from Ecuador)
There are about 20 types of plant based milk available, you'll find one you like, same with all the vegan cheeses and mock meats.
More to the point, you'll find a heap of foods that you didn't know existed before that replace what you're not eating. Here's a sample of the type of foods available:
https://www.avantgardevegan.com/my-recipes/
https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/main-dishes

No you don't.

Omnivores eat the greatest variety of best tasting food.

Got on board the vegan-gravy train 10 years ago.

Still alive, no hospital trips aside from welcoming my extremist, in your face, militant, holier than thou offspring (hey what do kids and vegans have in common? Amirite?)

I don't give a s**t whether you eat meat or not, you choose. But it's pretty obvious which way the world is moving toward. If not you then your kids. It just makes sense if you want to be the healthiest you.

But Zinger burgers are/were pretty tasty. each to their own.

The vegetarian topic is always the best way to find out who has an IQ below 60.

Very true. Given it was meat that allowed for the human brain to develop as it did anyone on a plant based diet is all the dumber for it.

I mean we wouldn't be sitting in a nice house using technology that allows you to use the internet without meat eaters.

No you don't.

Omnivores eat the greatest variety of best tasting food.

No they don't. They COULD eat the biggest variety of best tasting food, but tend to be lazy like everyone else.

The vegans and such tend to be forced to seach for alternatives and hence have a larger variety than the folks who only in theory have a bigger choice.

No they don't. They COULD eat the biggest variety of best tasting food, but tend to be lazy like everyone else.

The vegans and such tend to be forced to seach for alternatives and hence have a larger variety than the folks who only in theory have a bigger choice.

Welcome to 2019. Where cooking shows rule supreme and every second house think they are a closet master chef. People are eating a far bigger variety of food in this nations history than ever before.

We're now spoiled for variety.

I don't eat meat that much, i enjoy a good steak or a parma about once or twice a week, i do like fish regularly, i'm not an everyday carnivore like most humans! Our ancestors evolved to be super-predators and have definitely evolved omnivores.
The best evidence of that is our teeth: we have biting/tearing/ripping incisors and canines (like carnivores) and chewing molars (like herbivores).

The protesters ignore the fact we also contribute to the slaughter of animals during grain harvesting, these are free-roaming animals, not animals that were raised for feed. Their bodies get mangled in the combine's machinery, bones crushed, and they die a horrible death all in order to keep the produce departments full each week. Then you have the pesticides, how else will they get rid of bugs that eat crops in large fields? That veggie burger should have you feeling just as guilty as going to Maccas and with 7.5 billion people on the planet no one is innocent! If anyone also thinks that vegetarian meal comes at no cost to animals or the environment, think again!
Then you have to contend with the over pricing we see around town with some of these "eat healthy" establishments who play the guilt card and then charge $15 -$20 for some rabbit food! Eat what you like, if a footballer wants to be a veggie, so be it, you get no argument from me on that choice, but if i wish to take advantage of the Steak or Parma night down the pub then i wish to do so in peace and not be threatened by some lunatic at a dinner table who wishes to punch a spike through my neck!

Very true. Given it was meat that allowed for the human brain to develop as it did anyone on a plant based diet is all the dumber for it.

I mean we wouldn't be sitting in a nice house using technology that allows you to use the internet without meat eaters.

Meat did have its role for sure, in times of scarcity it was a comparatively plentiful source of nutrition, but it wasn't the main reason our brains developed as it did - certainly not to the degree Paleo proponents would have you believe.

It was our use of fire, which in turn enabled us to cook starch-rich foods, releasing glucose to be readily absorbed by the brain. The brains main energy source is glucose.

This is where the science is pointing.

The best evidence of that is our teeth: we have biting/tearing/ripping incisors and canines (like carnivores) and chewing molars (like herbivores).

Our canines are not the ripping tearing tools you may think. They are nominally canines for sure, but more vestigial in nature. Compare them to the hippo and gorilla, both herbivores both with massive canines. Having teeth named 'canines' does not make us functionally meat eaters. We can tolerate meat, but our bodies are more set up to smash plant foods.

Last edited:
Meat did have its role for sure, in times of scarcity it was a comparatively plentiful source of nutrition, but it wasn't the main reason our brains developed as it did - certainly not to the degree Paleo proponents would have you believe.

It was our use of fire, which in turn enabled us to cook starch-rich foods, releasing glucose to be readily absorbed by the brain. The brains main energy source is glucose.

This is where the science is pointing.

It's almost like an omnivore diet is the most beneficial to humans.

That's a terrible analogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that putting a correlation between the invention of the Internet and eating meat is a pretty long bow to draw.
While there is a probable case to mount that including meat as a part of our diet in pre-history humans increased our survival rates, the overwhelming problem in the modern era is quite simply the amount of animal based products being consumed.
Pre history humans didn't have anything resembling refrigeration, and so meat would be consumed quickly. Meat wouldn't have made up a very large portion of the diet. Far less than most people imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back