Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see way more "How do you know someone is vegan? - Don't worry they'll tell you" posts than I see "I am vegan" posts

My diet consists of meat these days and I know a couple of 'preachy' vegans who are annoying (one in the family - inlaw) but I will always side on the vego/vegan argument over dimwits who go down the path mentioned in the opening line of this post

Just wait for the vegans to demand non-leather footballs and boots.

I know who vegan who still wore leather work boots because they lasted so much longer than any synthetic material, and therefore, in the grand scheme of things, way more energy efficient

There are a myriad of reasons why people go vego/vegan - can't just assume things

Does anyone know of any?

03c7ba5cdc1d113ae6d44dbe18c2db4a

Edit: sorry, I thought you said bogan

That's pretty hardcore - I do know some vegans who don't consider honey a problem.

The non obvious stuff gets challenging

A mate took ages to find a high end car with zero leather in it 8 years ago (dealers couldn't understand why he wouldn't want leather seats and so on)

That's pretty hardcore - I do know some vegans who don't consider honey a problem.

I think the justification is that bees produce more honey than they need. So if you're judging veganism from a "no harm" perspective, honey is fine.

No surprise this turned into some macho he-man 'ha ha dickless, vegan, what smug campaigners.' This coming from blokes who probably have a Mrs Macs for lunch and pan fried sausages for dinner most nights.

I saw Paul Medhurst down the Claremont Hotel about five or six years ago while he was playing there and jesus christ he was thin. Really, really thin. Combined with his weird head he looked like an animal. To this day I don't know which. Meerkat? Anyway I read he'd become a vegan and he'd probably gone down to borderline 59 kilos.

Point is most of this isn't really going to affect you whatsoever as a footballer. Just like darts. Takes a few years for cigarettes to catch up and veganism even is a lot better alternative than eating big loads of red meat and starch every night. The modern footballer isn't so much massive as lean, more about that core strength through the arse and thighs these days. That's how the best players (Fyfe, Dusty, Kennedy, Dangerfield) are all built. It's probably easier to have a fit lifestyle eating vegetarian. No. It is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for footy boots, the ultimate irony is it's probably harder to find full, proper kangaroo leather boots now. They're basically all plastic now. No issue for any staunch vegan. I mean, just look at those *in ugly Mercurials these days – half mesh half plastic, like an 18-year old's suitcase for Splendour in the Grass.

Bring back Copas. Matthew Kennedy from the Blues is the only one left:
Matthew+Kennedy+AFL+Rd+1+Richmond+v+Carlton+CHwhK9Kvnyfl.jpg

Point is most of this isn't really going to affect you whatsoever as a footballer. Just like darts. Takes a few years for cigarettes to catch up and veganism even is a lot better alternative than eating big loads of red meat and starch every night. The modern footballer isn't so much massive as lean, more about that core strength through the arse and thighs these days. That's how the best players (Fyfe, Dusty, Kennedy, Dangerfield) are all built. It's probably easier to have a fit lifestyle eating vegetarian. No. It is.

You know, I think the jury is still out on the benefits of a vegetarian diet over an omnivorous one. A lot of it depends on the actual individual. Dairy has no nutritional benefits beyond calcium though. That's not really debatable.

Ben Brown is the only one I'm aware of, but there are doubtless a few, that long haired hippie haha jk, it doesn't seem to be affecting his performance though.

Honestly the debate is so dumb. Who cares. Be a fat prick, be a preaching vegan, whatever.

I think everyone should give vegetarianism a go for a fortnight to see how they go. I started getting into cooking around the time we had a bit of an embargo on meat around the house and I dropped weight, saved heaps of money, ablutions were borderline fun, and just felt fresher every day. The best thing is learning about the importance of flavour and not relying on meat for texture or taste, realising how to cook veggies properly, s**t like that. It's worth your time even doing it a few nights a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back